Sorry... OME Lift issues/questions - help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TrekboxX

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hi all. Sorry to beat a dead horse. I think I've searched and read all there is to read, but I am still a bit confused. I installed a OME 2.5 medium and Slee diff drop. Didn't get pre-lift measurements, but after the lift I am sitting with a 1.5" rake, and only 1.5" of droop. I've heard all the recommendations about having 60mm (~2.4") of droop, and I understand the importance of this. Am I missing something? If I lower the front another inch to get the 60mm of droop, I'll have serious rake. Kinda makes me think this "2.5" lift is really a "2.5" rear stinkbug" lift. FYI- After I initially put the lift on it was sitting pretty level. I could hardly keep it on the road! Rode like total $^#&. Had the shop lower it 1.5". Rides better, but now I have the rake/droop dilemma.

Any advice?

Which springs do you have? 21.5" (fender to hub) should be the maximum height before you encounter torque steer and rough ride.

2.5 does seem like a large rake
x2 on what rear springs do you have?

I have OME 860 rear springs with a 240lbs rear bumper with an 80lbs wheel/tire and i still have a rake.

Yeah, I dont mind a little rake, but 2.5 is a bit extreme. I think I have 860 rears, the ones that come standard with the 2.5 medium. I have a blueberry up front, and no rear bumper, but I measured pre- front bumper. If I'm not mistaken, weight up front should not change the ride height vs droop difference. For example, if I'm sitting with X ride height up front with Y droop, then add some weight and crank t bars to maintain X ride height, droop should again be Y. Right? Or am I missing a key component?

Ok, Something is not right here. I ran that set-up for years and never had an issue. Bummer I am not up there anymore (i used to go out to Concord at least once a week). I would have been more than happy to look at it for you.

Lets back up. First, how are you measuring everything with the truck sitting on flat ground? Center of hub to edge/lip of fender?

Can you post the numbers you get doing that?

DS Rear:
PS Rear:
DS Front:
PS Front:

How are you measuring droop? Lifting DS front until DS tire is off ground and then front center of hub to edge/lip of fender above?

Can you post up the current measurement?

DS Front Max droop:
PS Front Max droop:

Lets start there and see if we can figure things out.

I usually measure top of rim to center of fender well. As long as it's consistent... I will measure again tonight and give you exact numbers. Thank you for the help!!!

Ok. I feel like a total dunce. I'm usually pretty anal about measuring stuff (usually work in the thousandths), but I must have rushed the measurements last time. I found a nice level lot tonight and measured to within 1/16th. Measured from center of fender opening to lip on hub cap, then calculated to the center of the hub. The numbers were as follows:

DS front - 20 15/16ths
PS front - 21 1/16th
DS rear - 22 1/2
PS rear - 22 13/16ths

After jacking up each side independently, I obtained the following measurements:

DS front - 24 even
PS front - 23 11/16ths

So, I guess I don't have a dilemma like I thought. Droop on DS is 3 1/16th. PS is 2 5/8ths. Rake on DS is 1 9/16ths and PS is 1 11/16ths. Since I have your attention and have wasted your time with a nothing problem, I'll ask this: Are these numbers normal as far as the differences between driver and passenger sides in regards to rake and droop? Sould I bother trying to even them out? Or is is "good enough" as long as I have over 60mm droop?... The ocd in me wants them even, but I gave up on evening out ride heights on cars long ago. I don't think they make a car that sits perfectly level. Again, sorry for the false alarm.

You guys are freaking awesome. Thanks for all the info here on MUD.

David

Glad you got it sorted. If you are that close, I'd leave it alone. The torsion bars in and if themselves are finicky, so a couple of 16ths between them is really good IMO. I generally shoot for 1/4" of max variance on my truck.

Drive it around for a few days and allow everything to settle, then re-measure.

Overall everything looks pretty good. You will get some variances. As TheFuzz noted, the tbars can be finicky. I wouldn't bother with the front. You might get it a little closer, but then after you drive around for a bit, you may be back where you started.

In the rear, about the only thing you can do is adding a 10mm trim pack (LINK) to the drivers side to try and get it within 1/16th of an inch or so.

But again, drive it around for a bit and see how things settle.

Regarding the droop - It is what it is. A lot of things can affect the difference in numbers you are seeing. But, at 5/16th's of an inch, you will never notice when off-road. If we were talking bigger numbers 1"+, I would want to know what is causing that.

a

Off topic - your rear ps is a little less than half an inch higher than the right. Did you notice if one of the rear springs were taller than the other? The taller spring should have been installed on the driver side due to the added weight of the gas tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom