Somebody gave us Saffron (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
What the hell do I do with it?
(Not quite got into the finish carpentry world of fine cooking).

CHICKEN SCALLOPINE w/ SAFFRON CREAM SAUCE

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound chicken cutlets (scallopine)
2 shallots, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Add Checked Items To Grocery List

Directions

Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken until golden and cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to serving plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Turn the heat to medium, add the shallot and the garlic and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Using a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine is almost evaporated.

Add the chicken broth and saffron threads, bring to a simmer and reduce for 10 minutes. Add the cream, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer for 1 minute to blend the flavors. Pour the sauce over the chicken.

OR

CRISPY CHICKEN w SAFFRON RICE

Ingredients
  • 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, about 3 pounds
  • 1 medium onion, chopped medium
  • 3 garlic cloves, diced small
  • 2 cups white rice
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 gram of saffron
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • ½ tsp olive oil
  • salt & pepper
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and preheat your largest non-stick oven-safe skillet (13" across and 2" deep) over high heat for 2 minutes.

2. Dry chicken thighs well, and trim of excess skin and fat. Salt and pepper both sides generously.

3. Cook the thighs in batches of 4 at a time, starting with the skin side down, over high heat until deep golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken thighs to a plate.

4. Discard all but 1 tsp of fat. Add in chopped onion and cook until just turning translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.

5. Stir in 2 cups of white rice, then 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 gram saffron, 1 cup of peas and 1 tsp salt. Return skillet to heat until the liquid just starts to boil.

6. Add in chicken thighs skin side up. Put skillet in the oven and cook uncovered until all the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.

7. Remove from oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

I'm just mad about saffron.

risotto

Hey Split, the votes are in; chicken, rice, and paella/eggs.
I think most other foods would be too heavy and would loose the delicate-ness of that spice.

Great ideas guys, thanks!

Not my idea but damn I think your quest @splitshot for saffron recipes peaked my interest in this: Using it in Panna Cotta!

Cool, glad I could help.:hillbilly:

Let us know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom