Snorkels! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent several hours installing my snorkel today. It was easy to cut the hole, but I have no idea how you all were able to put those nuts and washers on the inside of your fender I only got one connected

I spent several hours installing my snorkel today. It was easy to cut the hole, but I have no idea how you all were able to put those nuts and washers on the inside of your fender I only got one connected
To get the front nuts on, you can take of the front turn signal indicator, and reach in from the front. Most of the rear ones can be reached through the opening where the antenna can be reached. I wasn't able to reach one of the two top rear bolts. I put on most of the nuts without washers.

When I helped my brother install his snorkel, he removed his fender, since he was also replacing his antenna with the Wagongear CB splitter kit. Removing and replacing the fender went fairly smoothly.

It also helped to have an assortment of arm sizes available. If you don't pull the fender off, going through the access holes may require your arm to bend some place there besides your elbow. My brother's arms are longer. We also borrowed my sister in law's petite arms/hands to reach the stud above the air pass-through.

Removing(and replacing) the fender was the slower method of our two snorkel installs, but also less frustrating. At least for someone who had already replaced a fender on his truck. (If you decide to pull your fender, be aware there is a bolt under the windshield wiper valence. You'd need a super stubby screwdriver to get that cover off, after you remove your windshield wipers.) If you have sliders, confirm you can reach the bolt under the fender at the very front of the slider.

Got mine on finally

Here's another option. It's about what I paid for my snorkel over a year ago on eBay.

$117 and available at your local heating and AC store.

image.jpg

I got one on my car now. Works fine, although the template didn't quite fit it perfectly so MEASURE!!!!!
IMG_5198.jpeg

IMG_4253.JPG

Ordered!!

My $70 winch cost me $1070. The winch arrived last week. I didn't want to install it and then take it back off when I got the truck painted -- so I found a shop in Austin that will paint it for an even $1000. I should get the truck from the paint shop Saturday. Next project - snorkeling!

oops... the *snorkel* arrived last week. I guess I can't edit my posts yet. Been researching winches also.

If you use a saw to cut the big hole (instead of a huge hole saw bit), be sure to tape off plenty of fender. I scuffed my fender dragging the saw base on the fender while working my way around the hole. Not a big deal to me. My paint is plenty scuffed. Some others seem more cautious with their rigs. If I had realized more tape was useful, I would have spent the extra couple cents on more tape. If you want to be able to fit the rubber hose (that joins the snorkel to the air box) I think you need about a 4" hole. I used a saw, and ended up with a reasonably round 4.5" hole. It's still completely hidden by the snorkel once mounted, but the extra big hole didn't help anything either.

...but use tape or you'll scuff your paint.

View attachment 1083749

So I take it I remove that "T" intake assembly that rides inside the fender?
How hard was it to take the fender off? I'd think this way would be much better and I could finally remove my useless electric antennae.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom