Should I consider a 100 Series for a Kid Hauler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You cannot fit 7 adults comfortably in a 100 or a 200 series landcruiser.
3rd row is good for short runs around the town or for someone under 5 ft tall.
I don’t prefer driving a minivan but the practicality of it is hard to beat for a bigger family IF you stay on pavement most of the time.

I don’t prefer driving a minivan but the practicality of it is hard to beat for a bigger family IF you stay on pavement most of the time.
A minivan is a purpose made tool that functions very very well for its intended purpose. So is a Land Cruiser, but to me it seems your purpose is not aligned with the LC’s.

As someone who hauls around a family 6 I think you’ll be well suited in a 100 or 200. I own an ‘04 LC and my older kids (15 and 12) fit comfortably in the 3rd row. They actually love sitting in the back. I have a car seat in the middle and another kiddo in that row as well. We haul sports equipment, kids friends, in-laws, a golden retriever, and on and on with no issues.

My other regret is not testing out a Heritage Edition 200, or an LX570. I’m not rich, but I definitely do daydream about parking one next to my 100 one day.

I also drive a Lexus RX 400h and the hybrid feature on that is perfect for my commute and MPG worries. Yes, the wife drives the LC but it’s well suited for road trips, off roaming on the weekends.

A minivan is a purpose made tool that functions very very well for its intended purpose. So is a Land Cruiser, but to me it seems your purpose is not aligned with the LC’s.
I was just making a point that the 3rd row in a LC is not as practical as the previous poster mentioned it to be. My purpose is very well aligned with LC’s.

I was just making a point that the 3rd row in a LC is not as practical as the previous poster mentioned it to be. My purpose is very well aligned with LC’s.
Sorry didn’t intend to direct that at you. Meant for anyone needing to haul 7ppl regularly.

Reactions: LCT
We bought our LC new in 2006, my daughter was four years-old, my son was two. It hauled the two of them and our two dogs and all their friends anywhere and everywhere we wanted to go. One of my favorite experiences with the cruiser was when my kids were in high school. I was always part of a neighborhood carpool. Three days a week I hauled 7 kids to school. One spring break I took off with my buddies to the Eastern Sierra and Death Valley for an amazing, seven day, off road trip. We found ourselves in some pretty legit off-road spots that tested the limits of the vehicles we were with. The Cruiser made every obstacle look easy. To the point that it became a joke. My buddies started searching for things to get me stuck. They failed. But the best part was rolling home late Sunday night, pulling my camping gear out, dropping down the back seats, then heading out Monday morning to pick up the carpool kids. My kids are college age now and they both have stollen the Cruiser for their own off-road trips multiple times. It's a testament to the strength and versatility of these vehicles.

I don't know if that helps or is even relevant. But, for what it's worth, it's been a perfect car for my family and me.

IMG_6368.jpeg

We had to use my 100 for a few weeks back in feb/march while our pilot was getting fixed. Everyone fit but it was a little cramped- we have a 7,5,3,2,6mo. It definitely worked but not as easily as the pilot did. Never needed the 4wd.
I recently had the chance to put about 1k miles on a 2024 sienna. That would be my first choice if possible- but realistically a 2011+ sienna would work too. Van life.
End of the day, if you can afford the gas and dont have as many kids as I do, cruiser should be fine.

Gas mileage is only a concern if you're used to driving something with good mileage. I've never owned anything that does better than 20MPG highway so the 100 really isn't that big a deal at 13ish. It's only money :meh:

My wife jumps in my 100 about 95% of the time she's out doing errands, despite her dream car taking up one of my garage spaces. I know if any other cars try to start a fight with the 100, mine will win. Absolutely no concerns at all with it.

My two boys came home from the hospital in an FJ62, and rode in our 2003 UZJ100 and later in our 2016 200 series until they were old enough to drive their own car (taught to drive in my '99 UZJ100, that was stressful). Throughout those years we always had extra kids, sports gear, etc, but it most of the time it was only two kids. Not sure if we could have pulled it off with three or more. My biggest pro (other than being a Cruiserhead) is that I always felt my family was super safe in those tanks. Cons, fuel consumption for the daily grind of shuttling them around and running errands...I don't even want to know how much that cost.

I never mentioned anything about needing 7 adults. It's seldom these days I'm having to cart around a third adult. The use of the third row you describe is pretty much what I'm looking for out of it. I was merely responding to somebody else that was actually using his all the time to accommodate his own family. My needs still would be for up to 2 adults, 3 children, and then occasionally up to two more children. Even my kids age ranges are quite a bit apart so there's just 1 front facing car seat and 1 booster involved there. Also I don't anticipate a huge shift in our routine so during the week it's still 99% of the time going to be with just the kids and then more frequently 5 of us on the weekends.

We bought our LC new in 2006, my daughter was four years-old, my son was two. It hauled the two of them and our two dogs and all their friends anywhere and everywhere we wanted to go. One of my favorite experiences with the cruiser was when my kids were in high school. I was always part of a neighborhood carpool. Three days a week I hauled 7 kids to school. One spring break I took off with my buddies to the Eastern Sierra and Death Valley for an amazing, seven day, off road trip. We found ourselves in some pretty legit off-road spots that tested the limits of the vehicles we were with. The Cruiser made every obstacle look easy. To the point that it became a joke. My buddies started searching for things to get me stuck. They failed. But the best part was rolling home late Sunday night, pulling my camping gear out, dropping down the back seats, then heading out Monday morning to pick up the carpool kids. My kids are college age now and they both have stollen the Cruiser for their own off-road trips multiple times. It's a testament to the strength and versatility of these vehicles.

I don't know if that helps or is even relevant. But, for what it's worth, it's been a perfect car for my family and me.

Thank you, it is helpful. It is interesting a lot of comments seem to suggest it mustn't be done, but you and others with proof that people do seemingly fit in the third row. I get it there are very few vehicles where adults could fit comfortably in the back on a long range trip. That's not at all what I'm looking for, nor even suggested something of the sort. Talking occasionally adding a couple teens or tweens, which seems like what your positive experience was.

Sienna all the way unless you’re off-roading or in snow all the time

I get they can practical and for somebody wanting an appliance probably a good choice. The problem is as I previously said, I dislike how minivans drive. I'm not buying anything with a front transaxle, or with a CVT. So lucky for me that eliminates a whole lot of vehicles to ever consider. So this left me primarily looking back at body on frame SUVs from Toyota/Lexus. Even then I have a strong preferance for getting another one with a v8 so that further eliminates some options in that lineup.

We had to use my 100 for a few weeks back in feb/march while our pilot was getting fixed. Everyone fit but it was a little cramped- we have a 7,5,3,2,6mo. It definitely worked but not as easily as the pilot did. Never needed the 4wd.
I recently had the chance to put about 1k miles on a 2024 sienna. That would be my first choice if possible- but realistically a 2011+ sienna would work too. Van life.
End of the day, if you can afford the gas and dont have as many kids as I do, cruiser should be fine.

I can certainly see where the challenge with a lot of car seats for those ages. Thankfully we are past that and spaced out the kids enough.

Gas mileage is only a concern if you're used to driving something with good mileage. I've never owned anything that does better than 20MPG highway so the 100 really isn't that big a deal at 13ish. It's only money :meh:

My wife jumps in my 100 about 95% of the time she's out doing errands, despite her dream car taking up one of my garage spaces. I know if any other cars try to start a fight with the 100, mine will win. Absolutely no concerns at all with it.

Hah. I think the third generation Supra Turbo I had in my youth was probably the most fuel efficent car I owned. I don't think it was that great either and required 89 on top of that so it was probably a wash. After that it only went downhill with less efficent trucks and body on frame SUVs.

Hah. I think the third generation Supra Turbo I had in my youth was probably the most fuel efficent car I owned. I don't think it was that great either and required 89 on top of that so it was probably a wash. After that it only went downhill with less efficent trucks and body on frame SUVs.
Well then, you're going to love a 100. Especially in OK, where the not-flattest thing anywhere are curbs. With a breeze, you might even think it's a hybrid.

Personally I think that the Cruiser's strengths are in its legendary durability, its out-of-the-box offroad capability, and in how easy they are to work on. However, for family duty it is woefully lacking in contemporary safety features, notably roof pillar strength/boron steel reinforcement, footwell intrusion, and sophistication of stability control.

I don't think that this vehicle is worth the premium for the above features if its only use is pavement-pounding family hauler, but that's just me.

Personally I think that the Cruiser's strengths are in its legendary durability, its out-of-the-box offroad capability, and in how easy they are to work on. However, for family duty it is woefully lacking in contemporary safety features, notably roof pillar strength/boron steel reinforcement, footwell intrusion, and sophistication of stability control.

I don't think that this vehicle is worth the premium for the above features if its only use is pavement-pounding family hauler, but that's just me.
You bring up a good point. As myself and JJ_SC (and likely others) purchased our 100's when they were still contemporary, they were up to date with safety & technology at that time. Lucky for me I never tested any of the safety features...

Being that we are in the now, the analog to our experience would be for the OP to purchase a late(er) model 200 and drive it for 20 years.

Ed

Of course newer vehicles have much better safety technology. However, even in a newer vehicle it's possible you will be worse off than an old, outdated, heavy, 100 series. In a vehicle on vehicle collision, overall mass plays a large role in which vehicle's occupants have a better outcome - the lighter vehicle comes to an abrupt stop much faster than the heavier one.

Newer vehicles, IMO, are less safe with the nanny aides they all come with. Sorry, but a car should NOT have the ability to give the steering wheel resistance if I want to change lanes without a signal. That s*** is ****ing terrifying and I can't believe it's the norm now. Additionally, drivers who get used to the nanny aides become, ultimately, worse drivers because of them.

Newer vehicles, IMO, are less safe with the nanny aides they all come with. Sorry, but a car should NOT have the ability to give the steering wheel resistance if I want to change lanes without a signal. That s*** is ****ing terrifying and I can't believe it's the norm now. Additionally, drivers who get used to the nanny aides become, ultimately, worse drivers because of them.
I will admit going back and forth between the 100 and 200 can be frustrating. Radar Cruise and BSM are incredibly convenient.

(Frustrating because I get used to the tech)

I will admit going back and forth between the 100 and 200 can be frustrating. Radar Cruise and BSM are incredibly convenient.

(Frustrating because I get used to the tech)
Tsk tsk.

(I should say, drivers who get used to and rely on the aides become worse drivers...) I don't think just getting used to them alone is the dangerous part. It's the giving up of situational awareness and active thinking while driving that cause problems.

You can usually defeat those features. I would say nanny features make drivers less skilled but by and large, more safe.

I may not need nor want some of those features but I do like everyone around me using them. Makes them more predictable.

You can usually defeat those features. I would say nanny features make drivers less skilled but by and large, more safe.

I may not need nor want some of those features but I do like everyone around me using them. Makes them more predictable.

Sometimes they're defeatable. I just had a 2024 rental Sonata and we couldn't turn off smart cruise. I Googled, I even called a dealership to ask. Couldn't be done without turning off cruise altogether.

I don't agree with them being more predictable. I had a long thing written up but this isn't the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom