For Sale SF Bay Area 1972 Fj40 "SULLY" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mill Valley, California 94941 United States
Mileage
Color
rgb(152, 218, 227)
IMG_0018.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg

This was originally Tony's / Rockcods original "Sully" build. SOA 40 , disc brake conversion, You can probably still find his "Sully" build thread he did with his son. I picked it up from Tony and did a bunch more finishing off the interior -redoing seats , pulling roof and spraying in ceramic lizard skin and then an OEM headliner. The only rusty spot was the underseat toolbox/typical and i welded that up. (the ceramic keeps the calif.sun at bay and cool inside) While off i redid the roof exterior with a marine Gelcoat. (just like toyota originally did it) and found some steelies and 35s,37s. With the top off i welded up a full length family cage. I think the new 37s Toyos are on it currently but need to double check. This has sat in my mothers carport a few years waiting for me to get around for some sort of motor. I had contemplated everything from 1fz/5spd. to F1.5 hi po/ or good ol 2f. I actually also have an almost new h55/split case that George redid the split case that id consider selling with this if the new owner wants to go that route. I told Tony he gets dibs on Sully if i "ever" sold it- so i will try to shoot him a message or if another mudder has his contact info and wants to let him know Sully is going up for sale....please let him know. But if Tony takes a pass i would like it to stay in the mud family and im just going to offload this for a good deal to someone. Its got a great patina and a killer stance-no rust-that Tony dialed in and i was limping the old tired F motor around quite a while before setting it in a carport while it waited for its motor/rebirth. I will add some more pics shortly and see about reaching out to Tony. asking 12,500obo. Im also selling the FST 40 in another thread and have both of these up for sale. May keep one of them but most likely will sell both.

Is it currently drivable as it is?

Is it currently drivable as it is?
I was starting the engine every few months a while back- but its now sat long enough that its probably going to need a carb soak and battery. The engine was pretty tired but driving up until i parked it to figure out what motor swap i wanted to refresh it with. But the axles, brakes, power steering conversion all were dialed and ran drove nicely.

I just read the original thread. Here it is for anyone else. GLWS!

I hosed and wiped down Sully as he sits--- some jackass keeps stealing the gas caps. -2. I spoke to Tony earlier today and he reminded me that it was 15yrs ago he sold me Sully and popped him on a trailer from L.A. bound to SF area. I renamed him Linus and drove and did a bunch to him before popping him in the carport out of the sun for 5yrs while i was dicking around with cruiser projects galore. Linus is now changing names and hands again and Sully will be returning to Tony and Wyatt for a proper cruiser reunion. Im glad to have been a part time caretaker keeping it uncut and as much of the patina and character when it was handed off to me 15yrs back.

IMG_1235.jpeg
IMG_1226.jpeg

Last edited:
So cool! Congrats on getting it back. This is the scenario we all dream about 10 minutes after selling a rig.

Last edited:
This is awesome.

The entire family is really excited to get Sully back and make more family memories!
Tony,
If you just hoard stuff like me and never sell, we wouldn't be talking about this right now! :rofl:
Congrats though to you and Wyatt!! Now you need another 45!

😂😂
You’re killing me Ken!!!
I loved the little red truck, but I just didn’t fit in the cab. You need to be 5’7” or less to be comfortable in them.
Wyatt is starting a family and the history we have with it just made sense to get it back, I can’t thank Tim enough for reaching out and giving me first refusal, a real stand up guy and all around good people!

😂😂
You’re killing me Ken!!!
I loved the little red truck, but I just didn’t fit in the cab. You need to be 5’7” or less to be comfortable in them.
Wyatt is starting a family and the history we have with it just made sense to get it back, I can’t thank Tim enough for reaching out and giving me first refusal, a real stand up guy and all around good people!
IIRC the red 45 had an awesome patina back in the day, and I think it got restored, and painted FRESH.

Love the old style original look

No, he sold it to JP and then he sold it to someone else.

Yep, JP removed its soul and ruined it.
Obviously you’re entitled to your opinion Tony but “ruined” seems a bit strong LOL

Additionally in my defense the patina was gone when I took ownership as the whole bed has been repainted in primer. So with the original patina gone I decided to make her purdy instead, but I guess some might call it ruined 😉
12908C2E-8AE7-4913-A654-16CC362DA278.jpeg

Sorry for the hijack Tim and congrats on getting Sully back Tony!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom