Scion t1819 BT HU (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wanted to post up the answer. Yes, you can make this plug and play for the ipod connection. You need an "A to A" cable usb. Then you have to doctor up the ends, as it shows on the link..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...reo-input-tacoma-aftermarket-head-unit-2.html

Here is the key point that I copied from the link. This also gives instructions for hooking up the data part of the line below the usb on the Toyota part.

1) In the above quote, the OP points out that it is necessary to "slightly push up" the 4 metal contacts. Please note that the 4 contacts are on the Toyota OEM port and NOT the modified USB cable. I used a sewing needle to raise them about 1mm and that did the trick. It is actually safer to raise the pins on the USB cable. If you break one, just buy another of 89 cents at Monoprice.com.

2) When you modify the male USB cable, it is probably not a good idea to remove all 4 sides of the metal shield ground. It is the metal case around the ends of the cable. Apparently, it is crimped onto a braided sleeve that runs to the other end of the cable. It serves some kind of function in preventing EMI or RFI interference. I'm not an electrical engineer, but would rather be safe than sorry. As shown in the picture I left the portion opposite the side with the connectors. It also seemed to help making a firmer connection.

3) You don't need to carve up the Toyota port. If you do so, it might be difficult to form a connection that will not work loose.

4) Before you install this in your car, make sure to plug it into your computer to test it. I uploaded these pictures from my iPhone through the port.

5) Finally, with regards to the AUX cable mod, keep in mind that the Toyoto plug has 5 pins, but the cable you make will only have 3. Basically you are only using the 3 middle pins on the Toyota plug. CORRECTION: Use the 3 pins on the right side (looking from the back). The center one is red and you have a 50/50 chance of getting the other two correct. Make sure to test these buy plugging your headphones into the port and plug the MP3 player into the 3.5mm cable you make. Try flipping the little 3 pin molex connector around and see what it sounds like. One will be much better than the other.
Picture209.jpg
Picture211.jpg

I am going to make a new thread over christmas break with my installation points to hopefully help the next guy that tries this.

Cheers.

Yeah stop high jacking my thread! Make your own..... jk! Nice work..

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you may do as a result of following this post. Proceed at your own risk. These are my results.

Ok here are my notes from my install of a 2012 TC t1819 into my 2008 Toyota 4Runner. I bought the PT-546-00120-AD(antenna adapter), PT-546-00120-CH(28pin to 20+8 adapter for the Toyota) and the Pt-546-00120-MC(Mic kit for Bluetooth operation). I bought the PT-546-00120-US (USB adapter plug) but quickly realized it doesnt fit standard USB and the wiring inside the radio is not standard USB pinout and WILL DAMAGE THE USB DEVICE AND/OR the radio.

I opened the radio up and soldered a USB female cable and let it hang out the rear of the radio. After doing some research on this, it appears this newer radio is not like the older USB installs that others have done on the t1819 radio. There is no writing on the circuit board to that states what pin goes to what and the solder pads do not look like the older radios that others have posted. I couldnt find any info so I followed the circuit traces from the grey USB connector all the way back to the microprocessor and got the datasheet of the microprocessor to figure out the USB data pinout.

I have USB jumpdrive, IPOD/iPhone, CD, HdRadio, Bluetooth audio/handfree phone and aux input functionality all working. For the aux to work I soldered in a 2.7k ohm resistor on the 28pin to 20+8 wiring adapter harness on the 20pin side. Specifically on across pins 16(green) to 18(red/black).All that being said...... Bring on the pictures :)

D2388444-39E7-4BDC-BA1A-D565B6A4A307-1369-00000120CE5BE706_zps879e3cb2.jpg

Remove the USB board that has the RCAs for the amp preout

IMG_0107_zps590cd23f.jpg

Here is the USB pinout that you'll be soldering your USB cable to. The color of your USB female wiring should match the color of the text I added.

62F28F49-46C9-4A99-967D-D9B5C0B15701-1369-00000120C1A021F0_zps2cd1edc4.jpg

I slid the USB cable in beside the grey jack and started soldering. Be sure to attach the shield of the USB cable to the metal of the grey connector. I later applied some hot glue in this area to provide a strain relief.

710E08BD-8CD8-4B00-9CB7-0B60F4301988-1369-00000120C651B7DA_zpsebb5bac0.jpg

Finished soldering

58016692-269E-4AE6-A8BA-866E3CCFBE68-1369-00000120C8BA496B_zps9b9723ec.jpg

You may have to solder the cable with it through the rear panel already since it likely wont fit through the grey connector opening. Also you'll have to clearance the hole to provide enough room for the cable to pass through by using a dremel tool. Put it all back together.

Hope this helps someone. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. :D

Wow, that is your first post! You are awesome.

k

Been watching this thread for a while,,, stalking...ha,ha...lol

Gotta ask the following,, how is the sound quality ? good base with quality aftermarket speakers? Seems like you guys are jumping through a lot of hops, to get this head unit to work,, which is cool,, just trying to figure out why not just buy a aftermarket head unit with gps and everything and wire it up 1,2,3, with aftermarket speakers.... Will say the Scion Radio does adress the Cruisers dash very nicely,, looks a little retro. Just trying to get the 411 here,,,,,:popcorn:

Also , What is the going rate $$$$ for the head unit,, dealer and online,, just courious.

You guys do nice work,, lights ,camera , Subscribed...lol :cheers:

CRUISER TIME " ALL DAY & NIGHT "

Has anyone figured out the connections for the aux input jack for this particular HU?

Are you using the 28pin to 20 pin adapter for yours? Not sure what vehicle you're trying to put this in. If so I got mine to work with a 2.7k ohm resistor between pins 16 and 18 on the 20 pin side. I dont recall where those pins landed on the radio side on the adapter harness.

Been watching this thread for a while,,, stalking...ha,ha...lol

Gotta ask the following,, how is the sound quality ? good base with quality aftermarket speakers? Seems like you guys are jumping through a lot of hops, to get this head unit to work,, which is cool,, just trying to figure out why not just buy a aftermarket head unit with gps and everything and wire it up 1,2,3, with aftermarket speakers.... Will say the Scion Radio does adress the Cruisers dash very nicely,, looks a little retro. Just trying to get the 411 here,,,,,:popcorn:

Also , What is the going rate $$$$ for the head unit,, dealer and online,, just courious.

You guys do nice work,, lights ,camera , Subscribed...lol :cheers:

CRUISER TIME " ALL DAY & NIGHT "

The main reason I wanted to do this is the simple fact that I despise aftermarket radios. They are all flashy and lack features unless you spend lots of money on one. I really wanted a 2 line display as well for track information. Lastly double DIN radios are really really expensive! I scored my t1819 for $120 shipped from car-part.com and got the adapter harnesses from sparkstoyota.com for another $120.

Sound quality is pretty good. I feel like it has a good bit more treble and bass compared to my stock t4r radio. I'm fairly picky when it comes to sound quality and I can't complain at all. I bet an after market radio with their bloated power ratings wouldn't sound as good IMO. My only gripe is the lighting is ever so slightly more red than orange and doesnt match the t4r lighting perfectly.

766A3DF1-94CF-4F64-B358-037E60FCF50D-990-00000126D152379B_zps56d1a06e.jpg

I am very happy with the sound. I bought another on ebay a few weeks ago for under $100 and it came with all the cables!

So I hooked one of these bad boys in my 93, and am having an issue with the illumination. When I turn the lights on, the screen goes blank instead of dimming, the lights on the radio do not come on either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ha...I bet the dimmer (rheostat) has to plugged in...which it is not...

Just finished this up in my '93. It takes a little more work to get it to fit than in the 95-97's. I had to space the head unit over to the right by installing a double stack of washers between the bracket and the head unit on the left side, and then slotted the bolt holes in the bracket on the right side with a round file. Some additional grinding is required on the brace in the dash that that the bracket bolts to on the right side. Everything works great, though more sound adjustability would be nice.

scion.jpg

AUX Help

Hello all,
HELP - I have been trying to figure out how to connect the AUX to my HU for quite some time and well I am at a lost.
I got the HU 1819 in with Microphone/Bluetooth/USB/Ipod everything works, no worries - EXCEPT the AUX.
I put in the USB/AUX plug from a Scion ( same as a Tacoma ) into an empty dash slot ( by the way my rig is a 95 Fzj80 - love it )
Coming out of the Aux plug are 5 wires ( Yellow/Red/Brown/White/Green ), looking at connector diagrams I should connect those to pin 28/26/25 ( 28 pin connector ) right there it leaves me with an 2 extra wires.
as so:
Aux 0 ( color ? ) from the Aux plug to Aux 1 on the connector side ( 25 ? )
Aro ( color ? ) from Aux to Ari from connector ( 26 ? )
Alo ( color ? ) from Aux to Ali from connector ( 28 ? )
that is one many methods I got from threads.
Others state that one needs all 5 wires from Aux connected to have HU recognize input source as Aux.
by the way on the connector side the wires I believe to be correct are grouped together as White/Green/Red/Red with black line and perhaps this single Black one that is at pin 11 ( or so ).
Another thread mentioned connecting a resistor between pin 16-18.
I have done all the wire combinations I can think of - obviously I missed one.
I made certain the feed is coming in properly to the Aux...
Basically HELP.
Any thoughts, I really want to get this done - its the last thing.
Cheers

I have recently purchased this radio from Ebay, it was a brand new unit & never used, I installed it and it was done with all genuine harness, and there was nothing I had to do.. but i have the problems like. when I turn on the headlight LCD of radio goes away and there is no illumination of keys. secondly i can't find the bluetooth option. there is one connector on the rear side, which has no connectivity, please let me know what should I buy so that I can turn on the illummination on night and also the Bluetooth start working. i can't find any option in the radio for pairing the bluetooth, maybe that circiut is not activiated.

Can you please assist me, and tell me the connecotr which i need to isntall. thanks.

putting it in a lx450 or lc?

Bluetooth pairing option only works if you put the harness in for the mic if I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom