SAS SAS #8 Official Page 08/05/2024-08/09/2024 (12 Viewers)

Vote for this years color for shirts and trail flags

• • Sky Blue

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • • Pollux Orange (vote for this please)

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • • Capri Blue

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 20 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We did a lot of wheeling and camping back then. God I miss those times Mikey. Thanks for posting these.

Hello Everyone,

Great news, someone was gracious enough to offer up their cabin for someone on the wait list.

I only have a few spots left. RV sites 35, 40, 41, 42, 52, 64.

For most of these sites, there is plenty of room for several tents or vehicles with rooftop tents.

These are all located in the back section of the campground in the "group area". I really shouldn't even say that 90% of the entire campground is someone from SAS. :)

If anyone has questions feel free to give me a call at my office at 970.325.4736 or send me a message here. I try to check the messages here as often as I can.

The winter has been fairly mild, snowfall has been a lot less than expected, we think trails may open a little earlier this season. We are due for a possible 20-32" snowfall between today and tomorrow in the San Juans. That shouldn't have a huge impact, it's been fairly warm each day so snow is melting fairly quickly.

Can't wait for open trails!

Jeff

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make SAS8 this year due to conflicts with finances/ running our own business. Either way, wanted to put our camping reservation up for grabs at the KOA in case someone is in need. Details for the days that we reserved are on the image provided. I can’t remember the campsite number, but I will get that once I contact KOA (full voicemail box).
Let me know if you are interested and I will speak with the KOA to make the proper arrangements to transfer the reservation.

View attachment 3567939
Bryan, I'm sending you a DM.

Bryan, I'm sending you a DM.
Hello Everyone,

Great news, someone was gracious enough to offer up their cabin for someone on the wait list.

I only have a few spots left. RV sites 35, 40, 41, 42, 52, 64.

For most of these sites, there is plenty of room for several tents or vehicles with rooftop tents.

These are all located in the back section of the campground in the "group area". I really shouldn't even say that 90% of the entire campground is someone from SAS. :)

If anyone has questions feel free to give me a call at my office at 970.325.4736 or send me a message here. I try to check the messages here as often as I can.

The winter has been fairly mild, snowfall has been a lot less than expected, we think trails may open a little earlier this season. We are due for a possible 20-32" snowfall between today and tomorrow in the San Juans. That shouldn't have a huge impact, it's been fairly warm each day so snow is melting fairly quickly.

Can't wait for open trails!

Jeff
Just left you a voicemail Jeff.
Please put me down for one of the RV sites.

@OlYellr my cousin is probably coming and I need a spot for him and possibly some of my immediate (wife, kids) family. I’m still down for one of your bunks.

Penitente canyon is cool, but also Rattler city (summer) a Lion roaming around the area as well (ok,14 years ago). Zapata falls, best seen in winter as it is Frozen, A really sweet Road CR G from 159 in to Antonito over a very old Bridge going over the Rio Grande ( pictographs on W side of the wall). CR 142 you may see a Wildheard of Horses hanging around the Mountain N side of Rd, but I have only seen them once. A trail that parallels C&T RR with some stations as Sublette and Ossier. TheTrain ride between Antonito to Chama or reverse is worth every Penny. A trail over Platoro res and Stunner pass also worth it ( just a dirt Rd however).
I've done 114, 20-25 times, never did see anything Horny. Love that switchback Canyon though and plans of Camping the area in the future.
Well dang. You’ve just doubled the size of my To Do list. I’ve been to Zapata Falls, pretty cool even in summer, can’t imagine in winter. Did a couple wheeled and footed loops through Penitente Canyon last weekend. Good to know about the sneks. I’m a runner and funnily enough, part of me would really rather run into a mountain lion than a danger noodle when I’m on foot. 😱

Was in Chama last month and DEFINITELY plan on going back to take the train! Looked awesome.

Meanwhile in the San Luis Valley… not looking like a run day. Wind is blowing sideways.

IMG_5322.jpeg

We only got 6" of heavy, wet snow this morning in the mountains west of the Rio Grande in northern New Mexico. Luckily our 40 year-old son was able to come by and help with the shoveling. It's getting a bit harder now that I'm in my '70s - I figure I'll only be able to do the shoveling for another 20 years.

We only got 6" of heavy, wet snow this morning in the mountains west of the Rio Grande in northern New Mexico. Luckily our 40 year-old son was able to come by and help with the shoveling. It's getting a bit harder now that I'm in my '70s - I figure I'll only be able to do the shoveling for another 20 years.
Heard you might have gotten more this weekend… we did not get any snow, just rain.
Kinda miss getting snowed in for a week or so. I’m always prepared for winter to snow is in. Oh well…

That backside view.....

Waitlist submitted!:oops:
Just so I can keep an eye out for notifications, any updates on when the messages begin to go out to those who clear the waitlist?

Just so I can keep an eye out for notifications, any updates on when the messages begin to go out to those who clear the waitlist?
I have this question as well.

As
As someone cancels the next on the waitlist will be notified.

Transmission/transfer case, rear main, oil pan & gasket, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, bell housing, clutch slave cylinder, transmission mount. All either replaced, rebuilt or at the minimum cleaned & painted.

✅ Done

3B4A84D2-3E3A-4145-946A-87B37C0C4CFE.jpeg

Trouble is, while I had the oil pan off I pulled the rod caps to check bearings. Most have a good amount of wear, #6 looked awful on the back side. All smooth though, couldn’t hang a fingernail on anything. Low compression and a wet compression test that says crappy rings, plus a head full of carbon and gunk …. I’m gonna drop my spare 2F block off at the machine shop and might try to get a rebuilt motor in my truck before SAS.

9354CE06-F6EA-4110-B7CE-A0C7AB6E8E11.jpeg

But then again, maybe I just run it and swap the motor next fall. Other prep work left to go: rebuild a spare steering box and install the front u-bolt flip plates. Maybe the dual battery setup if I can find a non-US air intake.

It never ends.

Transmission/transfer case, rear main, oil pan & gasket, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, bell housing, clutch slave cylinder, transmission mount. All either replaced, rebuilt or at the minimum cleaned & painted.

✅ Done

View attachment 3584577

Trouble is, while I had the oil pan off I pulled the rod caps to check bearings. Most have a good amount of wear, #6 looked awful on the back side. All smooth though, couldn’t hang a fingernail on anything. Low compression and a wet compression test that says crappy rings, plus a head full of carbon and gunk …. I’m gonna drop my spare 2F block off at the machine shop and might try to get a rebuilt motor in my truck before SAS.

View attachment 3584583

But then again, maybe I just run it and swap the motor next fall. Other prep work left to go: rebuild a spare steering box and install the front u-bolt flip plates. Maybe the dual battery setup if I can find a non-US air intake.

It never ends.
That is some amazing looking work. I love seeing Torque markings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom