Saginaw Guys...Your Advice Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Fellas. Normally on the 40 forum but I just acquired a new 60 that I am very excited about it. It's a very clean and complete rig and has ZERO rust.:)

Unfortunately, the power steering pump was a goner (I knew this going in) and after brief consideration, I decided a saginaw conversion was in order. I found this excellent thread and decided to give it a go: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/251286-homebrew-saginaw-ps-pump-installation.html

I scored a pump off an '80 volvo, fabbed the bracket and spacer following RayN's instructions and got it mounted back up in the rig tonight.

Finally, to my question: has anyone else had a problem with the radiator hose hitting the belt and pulley and what did you do to resolve it? The way mine is right now that rad hose is gonna get destroyed in no time.

Here are some pics of the setup. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions. -Ed
P1010370A.jpg
P1010371A.jpg

Last edited:
Smaller pulley perhaps? Its been so long since a 2F lived under my hood I just can't recall how it all lined up. You mave have to fab up some sorty of rigid shield to hold the radiator hose up away from the belt.

Smaller Pulley

This is what I did. Have plenty on clearance. Used a Grainger commercial pulley about 4.74" diam better low rpm pumping due to slight overdrive.:cheers:
IMG_0915.jpg

If you loosen the clamps on the hose you can twist the hose a bit to raise it up away from the pulley. Mine was close too and I didn't loose a drop of water when I rotated the hose either. :cool:

I then modded my original 60 pulley and now thees tons of room again.

I then modded my original 60 pulley and now thees tons of room again.
Would like to know how you did that...got a pic?

Thanks for all the responses guys. I took Lehiguys advice and fabbed this little bracket to keep the hose off the belt and pulley. It seemed easier and faster than tracking down a smaller pulley that would be compatible with the old volvo pump and I really don't want to waste time in getting my new rig on the road ;). I used part of the old Volvo pump bracket and welded a piece of 16 guage to act as a shield. The angle/curve of the thing is not really right and I'm not thrilled with it but it does give me about 3/8" clearance.

So today I fired it up and everything seemed good. I started bleeding the pump and suddenly heard a big a hiss. Looks like my high pressure hose is jacked as it started puking fluid all over the engine (again :mad:). So I'm at a stand still untill Monday when I'm going to see about getting a new hose made.

Thanks again - Ed

Here's a pic of the bracket. It bolts up thru the long slot to the top bolt of the adapter plate on the power steering pump bracket.
P1010358-(2)A.jpg

This is what I did. Have plenty on clearance. Used a Grainger commercial pulley about 4.74" diam better low rpm pumping due to slight overdrive.:cheers:

Do you have a grainger part number for this pulley????

doug

I milled out the center of my original pulley, however the saginaw pump I picked up had a keyway.
Even with .005 interference fit mine started slipping so I ended up tacking it in place.

The stock hose wouldn't even come close on my truck, You can see what I did in page 21 of my build thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...build-thread-fj60-fj62-fj80-axle-fj68-31.html

Worst case you can cut and splice your hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom