Rubicon tips for 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.aaronkmurray.com
I plan to hit the Rubicon in late Sept with some friends. It is my first time there and I realize that I'll have to bypass the gnarly stuff, but I'd like to hear some opinions, specifically from people who own a 200 or have been on the Rubicon.

My 2013 has been to Moab, Imperial Valley Dunes, Katemcy Rocks, Barnwell Mountain, and numerous times to Hidden Falls in TX (lvl 4 and 5 trails for those who've been there).

It always amazes folks, but the truck isn't supernatural. Large boulders are particularly tough to navigate when there isn't much option for choosing a line.

Mainly I'm interested in knowing about tough areas w/o a bypass option and how long I should take to do the full run (3 days, 2 nights ok?).

I'm not worried about the bumpers. Both of mine are thrashed and have holes. No body panel is unscratched at this point. No huge dents yet though.

Yikes. Don't know if I would dare the Rubicon with a 200. I think the 100 forum has posts about the Rubicon. May have better luck there.

Hopefully this doesn't sound negative, but more the voice of reason. I've run the Rubicon and I wouldn't even consider running it in anything less capable or armored than my 80. The worst sections have no bypasses and there are quite a few of them.

Has it just gotten too torn up in recent years? When I was out here when the FJCruiser first launched, they ran stock ones up the Rubicon.
Don't the jeeper jamborees run with stock vehicles too?
It would suck if I missed my opportunity to run stock. My 40 was totally built but it sucked to drive long distances and now I have 4 kids.

Please get sliders and bumpers before you go- or you will need after for sure. Envious, but scared to take mine on Rubicon based on pics and vids I have seen. You coming to Southern Cruiser Crawl this fall?

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD Forum

I'm in CA right now (no more TX for a few years), so I prob won't make Souther Cruiser Crawl. I'll be hitting up west coast / AZ / CO runs as much as I can. You coming out west anytime soon?

Right now, my list of pre-Rubicon mods, in order, looks like:

1. rear bumper (kaymar or arb)
  2. slee sliders
  3. 2-2.5" lift with UCAs, diff drop kit
  4. front bumper (arb deluxe)
  5. custom undercarriage armor (brother has a metal shop)
  6. 285/75 R17 tires/wheels (34" vs my current 33")

My plan is to go down that list and stop when the budget runs out.
If anyone has input on changes, etc. I'd be happy to hear it.
My bumpers area already thrashed so I am not worried about damaging them, but the rear bumper will likely get caught on something and cause other damage while it is torn off.

I ran the Rubicon in 2008 in an 80 on 4" and 35's, and was challenged considerably to keep the paint off the rocks. I woudn't take my 100 series through that trail.. just not meant for it. The 200 seems even more daunting honestly because of its size, there are spots where it's so narrow there just isn't much line selection. And many spots where one mirror was up against a rock, while the quarter panel on the other side was against another rock.. couldn't imagine if the vehicle was even 1" wider, or longer.

You would be legendary if you did this- but the guys having the most fun on that trail were the mini trucks & 40's, it's stressful in the wagons.

I'd love to do the Rubicon in a 200… yours :steer: :)

Once I was in Sedona driving my pristine Jeep up a pretty wild crack and one tire had fallen off the side of it and was teetering about 6" away from the other side of the rock wall just about to roll over onto the side which would have caused a lot of body damage. A crazy looking hiker who appeared to live in the wilderness came out of nowhere and yelled "just gas it man you got nothin to lose!!!". Just use that as your motto on the Rubicon and you have nothing to worry about ;)

PS - take video! :D

With the aid of the Crawl System the only issue to worry about are (is?) the tight spots. So maybe confirming if a wide vehicle like ours can go through those would be the wise thing to do. Having done that, I wouldn't hesitate to take mine if I weren't so far away.

I'd say a good spotter would be the most important "accessory" to take with you.

I've never been to the Rubicon but know that wagons have made it. No doubt the 200 could get through, but I'm not sure I'd be confident that one could get through without some personality marks at the other end. Gonna have to wait until I've put a few more years and miles on mine before I'd attempt that… or more likely just take the 40 for that trip.

I could've sworn I saw a video of a mud member driving up the rubicon with a 200, pulling a trailer within the last year or two...

With the aid of the Crawl System the only issue to worry about are (is?) the tight spots. So maybe confirming if a wide vehicle like ours can go through those would be the wise thing to do. Having done that, I wouldn't hesitate to take mine if I weren't so far away.

I'd say a good spotter would be the most important "accessory" to take with you.
FWIW I beg to differ with your first sentence. :beer:

Yikes. Don't know if I would dare the Rubicon with a 200. I think the 100 forum has posts about the Rubicon. May have better luck there.

Its been done a number of times, including by a number of folks on this forum. Damage is the norm…short of massive modification (like over and above my heavily modded 200)…and even then…stuff breaks as a matter of course… I have seriously considered doing it…and feel confident I could complete it after massively lightening my heavy doodads……..but my damage wallet said, “No.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom