ROTM: Toyminator's 1989 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very, very cool.

Do you have a shroud for the fan? I run an electric fan without a shroud, and I can overheat my truck at medium speeds (high speed the fan doesn't add anything, and low speed the engine just isn't working that hard). Is the fan always on, or is it on a thermostat of some sort?

Dan

Very, very cool.

Do you have a shroud for the fan? I run an electric fan without a shroud, and I can overheat my truck at medium speeds (high speed the fan doesn't add anything, and low speed the engine just isn't working that hard). Is the fan always on, or is it on a thermostat of some sort?

Dan

I don't have a shroud on the electric fan because in order to make it effective you have to mount the fan away from the radiator an inch or so and I don't have the room to do that. It's a single speed 2500cfm puller set on a 200 on 185 off thermostat. I haven't tested it under any load yet but reving the engine at 3000 rpm will kick it on and back off a few minutes later. We'll se how it goes. I've read build threads with this engine swap where they used smaller electric fans or stock radiators that worked out ok.

Looking great!

Can't wait to see it on the trails again.

Thanks guys. Bill, Michael, etc. :cheers:

I also wanted to take steps to get airflow under the hood to help keep the engine cool. Most of the aftermarket hood scoops are kind of cheesy looking. I had a banged up hood form a 2000 4Runner Sport that i parted out and the middle section was still in pretty good shape so I decided to graft it on to my 89 hood.

112_1911.jpg

112_1912.jpg

112_1913.jpg

112_1914.jpg

I used the cut out piece as a template for the other hood.

114_1918.jpg

114_1917.jpg

114_1919.jpg

114_1920.jpg

I had to do about 50 bajillion of these. *
114_1922.jpg

114_1923.jpg

114_1924.jpg

114_1925.jpg

114_1926.jpg

114_1927.jpg

114_1928.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I like the scoop idea.

I've toyed around with the idea of adding louvers for just that reason. I'm sure that moving air around that big motor will help cool it down at least a little bit. Nice work!

Dan

Cool build. I think its always neat when people have had vehicles awhile and they get changed for the needed/wanted use.

Nice job man...I always feel like I know a lot about this sport, and have seen everything, but I need to earn a little more knowledge before attempting anything like this. I salute you or your patience and willingness to make it work. Using the factory shifter is just unbelievable. Awesome.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. :cheers:

Got the 1st coat of primer on today. All I have to say is thank god for high build primer because my bodywork skills suuuuuck!
primer2.jpg

primer1.jpg

primer3.jpg

Well since my build thread here is still in the ROTM section I'll keep adding updates. I began work on bobbing a new bed. The old one was pretty mangled and since I was re-doing the rest of the truck it might as well look good at least for a while. I took 14" out of it just like the last one. It's more than most people do it but I wanted the frame to be the first thing that drags as opposed to the rear valance.
116_2198.jpg

116_2199.jpg

116_2200.jpg

Toyminator, what're you doing, gettin' your rig all prettied up?
You realize all the inferiority complexes alot of our trucks are gonna develop now?:hillbilly:

Progress looks nice, though!
Is she drivable yet, or are you still going mano-a-mano with the conversion stuff?

Is she drivable yet, or are you still going mano-a-mano with the conversion stuff?

Not really. I'm STILL waiting on the driveshafts to be able to drive it over 5mph.

Lots of welding and grinding.
116_2201.jpg

116_2202.jpg

116_2203.jpg

Its turning out pretty good so far. I did some light filler work and then shot an epoxy primter/sealer over the whole bed. I still have some skim coat work to do and some dings to fill. Then 2-3 coats of high build primer.

116_2206.jpg

116_2204.jpg

116_2205.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom