Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone been thinking about a Rivian R1S to replace their LC200? I'd like to hear thoughts both positive and negative. In some ways the Rivian looks like it has a lot going for it in terms of power, torque, approach angles, towing, wading depth. Kind of reminds me of a Land Rover. I wish they had made the front headlights/grill a bit more aggressive considering they are aiming this at adventurers and not nerds. I wonder what the suspension is going to be like (one reason I don't like Tesla Model S). I do like the idea of being much more environmentally conscious especially in nature. I also hope electric motors/trannys are more like diesels in terms of how long they last. I understand battery technology is constantly improving. I also like the SMART features being incorporated into vehicles now. Kind of like how iphones replaced motorolla razors/blackberries which became prehistoric technology. I wonder if its the battle of old vs new.

@Reckless have you seen the Bollinger SUV and Truck as well?

I drive cross country to much to ever want an all electric vehicle. It kind of cool but nope.

Interesting question if, I believe, you’re comparing capability only. And even then you’re really only comparing capability on paper. Thing is, the Rivian is still in development. Any claims as to its capability hasn’t really been tested in the real world by unbiased parties.

Also, even though I’m a bit of an LC newbie I think reliability, toughness, and longevity are at the top of the list for why LC enthusiasts are LC enthusiasts. The Rivian just hasn’t had the benefit of decades and millions of miles of field testing to make comparing it to an LC a viable comparison.

Nope.

I'll consider an electric as my main vehicle when:
- I can recharge from zero to 100% in the same time I can fill up right now
- I can recharge or otherwise replace charge using something the size of a jerry can (off-road)
- When the manufacturer of the vehicle has been in business, making production vehicles for at least ~15 years, and has a good reputation for quality and support

// edit: I do, very much like the idea of having an electric vehicle as a commuter (especially for my other half); downside here is that no independent mechanic will even touch a Tesla or the like, and I really hate the idea of being 100% tied to the dealership and being at their mercy for anything and everything. This alone may be enough of a deal breaker to not get one.

Last edited:
“Refueling” in obscure locations is just one key aspect that won’t be competitively ready for prime time any time soon.

Someday I believe electric will be a great replacement....but not soon enough, and not in my price range.

I really wanted to get a Rivian but after some thought decided there is no way it would work for me. I just do too many long road trips. I tow a trailer on most of the trips and I don't know how it would do with that. I go rafting a ton and need to be able to tow my raft to a remote river in the middle of the desert, then leave my vehicle and have it driven by a shuttle service to the take out where it might sit for a week in the desert before I get there. I can't rely on the batteries to do all that. But damn they look nice and it would be awesome to have something that fast and nice. Hopefully someday it will be easier to recharge them in Colorado/Utah/ext.

It better have common parts and amazing reliability. As others have said. recharging and battery life are deal breakers. Not to mention the added weight to get any kind of range.

It could be interesting to consider as this is only something that exists in thought space. The Rivian R1S is not a tangible thing anyone can purchase just yet. All promises and marketing material without the realities of a production car.

If and when it does come out, it would be a nice shiny toy. I say toy for around town because it's not going to be anywhere near the utility that a overlanding cruiser is capable of. At least for my purposes. Understand that I've owned a couple electric cars, spanning over 8 years already and love them, so I'm not being negative against EV cars here.

1) Long distance capability - There is only one manufacture that has tackled this in a meaningful fashion - Tesla with their huge head start on building a significant fast charging infrastructure. All the others are a joke or just tiny L1 or L2 chargers, including what Rivian is going to have. Tesla's network works great in well populated areas like most everywhere in CA, and I can take real road trips. Yet we all know even Tesla's penetration is no where near the infrastructure necessary to support adventure travel.

2) Towing - Towing or even overlanding style built vehicles take huge energy reserves to travel. EV cars rely largely on efficiency today to bring range parity. Towing is an inherently inefficient activity, which cuts range down by over 50% in EV cars. So even a Model X that is rated at well over 300 miles range and can tow significant loads, see's less than 150 miles range when towing something small. Tow a big travel trailer like mine, and range would be likely less than 100 miles. Considering that with #1, not viable.

It's totally possible that EVs will rule in off-road capability and performance one day. Yet I don't think it's going to be the Rivian that proves that. Even if it does, #1 and #2 means it's still going to be a toy.

For that reason, I'd own a Tesla truck long before I'd consider anything else because it's the charging network that matters in a vehicle like this. Knowing Tesla's very well, their truck will deliver some serious capability and goods that will once again be the benchmark in the class. Ask Porsche how their attempt to set the benchmark turned out.

Last edited:
As an urban utility vehicle, I am eager to see Rivian, Bollinger, others to have more EVs in this space. Most utility work, construction, home services, in urban areas where charging infrastructure is readily available-- adoption can be revolutionary.

For on-road adventuring, I think there will be a wave of early adopters. The self-driving capabilities of both EV and ICE smart vehicles are game changers. I've done the SF -> SoCal thing with the Model X. Auto Pilot handles most of the I-5 driving. The drive also does take longer with 20-40 minute recharging stops every 2 hours. For me, overall driving fatigue is improved. Not sure if I'm just getting old, the auto-pilot is doing the work, or the forced rest steps-- but I definitely feel more energetic when I've reached my destination. Smarter cars will definitely help get people to their destination more safely.

For off-roading adventuring, it will be very interesting to see who is going to make those first steps in the community. I feel like there's a huge challenge to over come with regards to range, weight, clearance, reliability, and dependability. Maybe the first versions of off-roading EVs will be electric motors with some small range battery and gas powered generators.

A true expedition oriented explorer who does not clock back in on Monday might
see sunshine as more dependable and available than iffy fuel in the next village.

A true expedition oriented explorer who does not clock back in on Monday might
see sunshine as more dependable and available than iffy fuel in the next village.

Hmmm...
Thinking it would take a MASSIVE solar panel, excellent sun conditions & a ton of time to charge the monstrously huge battery arrays in an EV like this... Might take days...

Last edited:
@Reckless have you seen the Bollinger SUV and Truck as well?

No but these look nicer than the Rivian.

Hmmm...
Thinking it would take a MASSIVE solar panel, excellent sun conditions & a ton of time to charge the monstrously huge battery arrays in an EV like this... Might take days...
So what happens the the un-sunny PNW? Maybe instead of a spare tire a set of pedals are tucked up there?

If I had room in the garage, I’d seriously consider getting an electric car for commuting. But not for long distance travel. So I wouldn’t replace my LC with a Rivian.

You know, they talk about range with an electric vehicle. So, if the range is 250 miles for an off road vehicle, realistically you have about 100 miles to your destination and then a 100 back. Kind of kills off any hope of long distance off road travel.

This being said, I think EVs have a future as commuter vehicles where charging stations may be readily available in addition to home charging stations. To travel from KC to Denver is probably around 600+ miles. So you can probably count on 4 recharges which will probably add 2-3 hours of travel time. For long distance travel, unless there is some sort of on board charging system, I don’t think EVs show much promise at this point.

The short answer is, I will keep my Cruiser.

Last edited:
You know, they talk about range with and electric vehicle. So, if the range is 250 miles for an off road vehicle, realistically you have about 100 miles to your destination and then a 100 back. Kind of kills off any hope of long distance off road travel.

Good point. Then try to use the utility part of vehicle like it would be expected, to either hauling or towing, and that 250 shrinks to something like 150. Or 50 miles to and back? An EV SUV or truck needs something like 400+ miles unladen range to have useful utility. Still a bit tethered to civilization. It's all coming, perhaps a generation or two later.

So what happens the the un-sunny PNW? Maybe instead of a spare tire a set of pedals are tucked up there?
you will need to get one of these and find one of your many rivers to charge it. :p

water.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom