Quick Suspension Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seeking opinions--

Generally I ride alone in my rig (so, light-weight). Recently I took it on a trip with 5 other guys and enough gear each for one overnight (so, I'm still thinking relatively light-weight, as things could go...right?). Along the highway, though, anytime there was unevenness, I started to get the slow floaty-up-and-down from the rear suspension. It wasn't violent, and it smoothed out if the road did, but it was definitely there.

My question, I guess, is, is this the beginning of the end of the shocks back there, or did I simply reach the capacity of the stock suspension system that I have in there (and which I cannot vouch for in terms of age)?

Kind of random, but I'm trying to look ahead.

Do you know if it is the original suspension on the 80? How many miles are on it? With five full grown adult in the rig with old suspension, it doesn't sound to far off. I certainly think you are due to freshen the suspension system up. Either by replacing it with stock gear or going to one of the many lifts out there. I would search the forum here, there have been a few recent threads dealing with suspension and there are tons more out there.

I agree with 94SRunner, if it is stock suspension it's 21 years old. Definitely time for new shocks at the very minimum and new springs would probably be a good idea. If you don't plan on going with heavy armor and you usually ride alone, or don't want the lift, I wouldn't look towards any of the heavy duty suspensions they will make your truck ride pretty rough.

Sounds like you added over 1000 of load over your norm. Yup, aged suspension could rear it's ugly head very easily. The bad news is you may need to refresh some parts. The good news is if you are not going to haul this much normally, it is not so important. John

It is normal. If you add weight, the suspension gets softer. Simple as that.

With 6 people and luggage you are getting close if not exceeding the design limit of the stock suspension.

Thanks, everybody...I think I don't disagree with rove necessarily (could've just been lots of weight); but the unknown age makes me wonder (like it seems to have caused some of you to do).

Perhaps a good excuse to set in on that lil' lift/suspension upgrade... :D

I agree that it's most likely aged shocks.

The coils? Probably not so much. If factory, they are no doubt sagging and a fresh set will help. But if you'll mostly be running unladen, all that's really needed is to R&R the shocks.

In addition to sagging from age, keep in mind that coil spring suspensions are more sensitive to load than leaf or torsion bar springs. That's why things seemed OK before your trip loaded with your pals. The weight then was more than the worn shocks could dampen on the lazy coils.

So if you're on the cheap, just buy a pair of Toyota's OEM Tokico shocks for the rear. They'll run you about $60. If you plan on more loaded miles in the future, then I'd "spring" for a new set of coils, too, but recommend getting them on all four corners of the truck along with new shocks all around. YMMV

Similar issues with my rig, 95' with 175,000. I don't have the cash to rebuild the whole suspension so...I added some AirLift 1000 bags in the rear coils. MAN, these things rock! About $85 delivered. Do a search and you'll find detailed install instructions. I just did a 3500 mile road trip loaded to the gills. The air bags did what I wanted. The nice thing about them is you can adjust the air pressure (5-35 psi) to "customize" the support they provide.

Yes, air bags work really well for added load carrying capacity with the coil spring suspension on the 80. Our coils and shocks are near new, but air bags are next on the list. The only times we've needed them was when traveling with the trailer and full camping kit. Need to do that before we hit the road on an expedition we're planning. Should be exactly what's needed based on what I've seen others do here. Several good threads here, plus I think some over in the Trailer forum.

Are you guys using the stock 80 series airlift 100 kit #60728? or did you sub in different bags to accomodate the heavier OME springs that do lift the trucks a little bit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom