ppg essential Delfleet single stage in freeborn red? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

corleykj

Jack of some, definately master of none.
Threads
The local paint shop is recommending the PPG delfleet essential single stage paint for my fj40 paint job. The one thing they cannot do is paint match with a Code, unless I get the cheaper shopline version $350ish or the much more expensive ppg single stage (concept $800ish). I am removing the rust in the exterior panels (new quarters, new rear sill, patch in a solid floor pan) but keeping the frame and body connected and NOT doing a frame off restore, I will have some rust I can't get to.

My question is, does this 4 runner look close to a freeborn red FJ40? It is "Toyota Radiant Red" in the defleet essential ppg.
I attached a couple pictures of my factory original faded-rusty freeborn red paint from 1978.

I guess if people want to discuss the cheap PPG single stage shopline paint I am open to using that, but the paint guy said they have had great luck with the delfleet essential single stage paint. And honestly with some of the hidden rust I won't get to in this frame-on situation, and doing it within my budget, $800 concept paint isn't in my budget for a long while.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 11.15.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 11.15.41 AM.png

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0313.JPG

It is more brilliant than the stock freeborn red. Old gal pal had a 4rnr in that color and had a touchup paint shaker left over, which I now have and have used to touch up on my 60... Stands out brighter, but in your case, since the whole rig is getting painted, it will be sharp looking!

I'm surprised your paint guy can't cross reference a freeborn red paint code from another brand to the Delfleet. I've had good luck getting Toyota codes crossed to Delfleet in the past. I'd try another paint shop or just bring in a part with the original paint and have him scan it to make a formula.

Thanks @Splangy and @micruz60 I will try talking to someone else about matching it in defleet. I am not sure I want it brighter, but anything is going to be brighter than what I have now.

I will check on that @Splangy thanks.
I am also debating how much paint and primer I need to buy. I will be doing inside the tub and hard top, outside, and some accessories (gas tank cover, gas door, etc...)

Thanks for everyone's input. After getting the run around at one local auto paint supply store, I chose to go to Napa, where I have had great customer service in the past. In our town Napa supplies a lot of people and companies with automotive paint. They are willing to do whatever they can to match freeborn red. They have a code from a chart they can use, but they also mentioned scanning a part from my fj40 to get it exact. I don't want a super deep red, I like the faded look of the freeborn red (kind of a lighter red if you know what I mean). I am probably going to buy their industrial single stage paint, imron. Now to get a paint booth and ventilation set up!

Imron is good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom