possible day run March 13th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Baggins, Splitshot - either of you interested in riding along? I'm broke too.

I'll likely be putting in a 14+ hour day tomorrow, after a long (60+ hour) regular week, so I may be out of commission anyway.

Sounds like fun, thanks for the offer, but I will be helping the wife bring home enough bacon for this months mortgage..

Husker is an excellent co-pilot, your welcome to take him if he is back home by 10pm..;)

So is it the Sonic in Florence at 0930 on Sunday for the official meeting place?

Anyone using CB or 2meter radios, if so, what channel/freq? Terry
If this run was Saturday, I could of made it, but not Sunday. Anyway, I would recommend meeting at the little mini market/gas station on the north side of town, right on highway 79. That has gas and food, plus it is so close to the Price Rd/Box Canyon entrance that you can air down right there. It is only about 2 miles of pavement til ya turn off. Sonic don't got gas. But that's just me. John

So who all is going? What is the meet place? The regular CB channel is usually 4 for the CSC's.

Someone needs to step up to the plate and make the "Be there or be Square" call..

Some of us are square (do to finances and other obligations), otherwise the be there would be there..:D

Last edited:
Well, I am going if we have a group. What say ye?

I'm not real familiar with the area, so I don't want to lead, but I trust's John's judgment. Let's meet at 9:30 at the mini-mart at the north side of town. I need to gas up as close to the trail as possible. CB Channel 4.

Okay, it looks like I'll be able to make it Sunday. I think the place that John is talking about is called Minit Market and it's located at:

520 N Pinal Parkway
Florence, AZ 85132
(520) 868-9500

Let's set a departure time from there at 9:30 AM. Like I had mentioned earlier I haven't been there in several years so I don't feel comfortable leading the run but will be happy to tail gun. See you there. :steer:

A couple of points on the area: The coke ovens are on private property, the land owner requests that people don't visit them, so respect their wishes and view them from the ridge. Last I heard, Martinez Canyon is closed at the wash/canyon entrance. Be very careful of high speed/irresponsible motorcycles and quads, Jim collected one in Box Canyon on new years, running one over wouldn't be the best way to end the day?:eek:

I will not be attending, my social coordinator informed me (actually reminded me) that we have visitors coming tomorrow.

Ok - minimart it is. Maybe Apu will be there. I'll bring the wells book. We can all lead.

Last edited:
I will try to time it to be there about 0900. On CB Ch 4. Terry

I'll try to be there at 9:00am too. I'm coming from North Central Phoenix.

Did the 45s check-in?

-Trent

I turn 55 tomorrow. So, this was a birthday present to myself - to return the Coke ovens, a place that I had visited when I was 20 in my first V8 mustard FJ40. It was a special treat to make the run with a couple of nice FJ45s. Juan and Diego did a great job of leading, except for the five minutes that we looked like the keystone cops racing around in circles trying to find our way out from the Coke Ovens.;) We decided to return on the south loop, since there was a very tough spot on the north side just before we got there and it was difficult enough with gravity helping.

Mark is a great source of Cruiser wisdom and experience and was prepared for any trouble the trail threw our way. There is a certain Guru quality to him. I think its the beard. Terry piloted his very nice red 80 from south of Tucson. Carl and Mom were late in the yellow FJ Cruiser, as he predicted, and just when we had given up on him, he caught us on the trail. Glad you made it!

A broken shock mount on Mike's red 45 was the only real carnage of the day. Also, a very lucky break for Mike on the way out Cottonwood Canyon when the steering arm came loose and he made an uncontrolled hard right turn at 25mph over a berm and into a flat open space. Five minutes later it would have happened on Hwy 79 at a much higher rate of speed. You bang around all day long in Box Canyon, Martinez, and Coke Ovens and just when you think your home free, exit stage right. New shorts were in order.

Great people, great scenery, great vehicles and a memorable day. I had a wonderful time, in spite of the battery problem that plagued me half the day. Time to upgrade battery and alternator.

Happy Trails,
Fu
Coke Ovens 03132011 002.jpg
Coke Ovens 03132011 019.jpg
Coke Ovens 03132011 033.jpg

More pictures.
Coke Ovens 03132011 015.jpg
Coke Ovens 03132011 037.jpg
Coke Ovens 03132011 050.jpg

T'was a great day! Trent, you forgot my antenna carnage, which is typical for me for some reason! And, to make it an official CSC run we got sorta lost not once but twice! On the way out we almost to a side trip up to Ajax _ however, since it was just past 5:00 pm decided not to...

you forgot my antenna carnage
I wasn't counting accessories. We don't need no stinking antennas, or shocks for that matter. (I think Mike has at least one new leaf spring broken in now.) Steering linkages, as we found out, are required.

I got some nice shots of you and Terry coming down that last step into the Coke ovens.

Great Time!

It was a great time, for sure. It was great to meet all of you for the first time.

Juan, Diego is a fine young man and very useful on the trail.

Trent, Happy Birthday :beer: :beer: (They start coming faster now)
Mike and Mark, really enjoyed seeing you wheel the 45s. Sorry I did not have my camera, so post up you all.

Carl, glad you finally made it. Your mom is swell, and a very good artist.

Lets do it again soon. Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom