Builds Poppy- '84 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear lord if you start doing that then the wife is really gonna divorce me!!!

My plans and ideas are changing... This injury has really made me think about just retiring and building one-off custom cruisers. Maybe slinging the parts I've established and just calling it good.

J

Damn. Sorry to hear that the injury is preventing you from the fab side of stuff.

I would say that the 60 products you have brought to market have been great and really useful options for keeping the cars looking great and on the road (C-channels, lock strip, B-pillar covers, side aprons, euro side mirror pads) I'm waiting for you to put out rear seat belt kit and AC dash bezel.

Keep up the product development. Your really helping the 60's crowd and we all appreciate it.

I think if Jason and I keep hefting around 100 plus pound bumpers day in and day out we'll be soon needing someone around to push our wheelchairs to the welding table. I understand him completely.
There was a time when over half my sales were under 40 lbs. Now maybe 10%
Mostly 40 parts. Now with wagons dominating sales it's all about bumpers and sliders...all of them big and heavy. The shackle sales were stolen by the eastern rim and FJ40 aftermarket parts with the exception of carriers and bumpers have been reduced in favor of the stock resto parts. The 40's are too
valuable to modify. Until Raytheon gets that exo-suit on Amazon fabricators have a limited lifespan

You are referring to what my wife refers to as "slinging steel". It was the leading reason I moved away from fab work as a main stay. I am 56 and in fairly good shape and I'd prefer to remain that way. A lot less heavy lifting with what I am doing now and fewer customers to deal with. The big one NO SHIPPING and NO RETAIL. I don't know how you guys keep up with it all.

Damn. Sorry to hear that the injury is preventing you from the fab side of stuff.

I would say that the 60 products you have brought to market have been great and really useful options for keeping the cars looking great and on the road (C-channels, lock strip, B-pillar covers, side aprons, euro side mirror pads) I'm waiting for you to put out rear seat belt kit and AC dash bezel.

Keep up the product development. Your really helping the 60's crowd and we all appreciate it.

I think if Jason and I keep hefting around 100 plus pound bumpers day in and day out we'll be soon needing someone around to push our wheelchairs to the welding table. I understand him completely.
There was a time when over half my sales were under 40 lbs. Now maybe 10%
Mostly 40 parts. Now with wagons dominating sales it's all about bumpers and sliders...all of them big and heavy. The shackle sales were stolen by the eastern rim and FJ40 aftermarket parts with the exception of carriers and bumpers have been reduced in favor of the stock resto parts. The 40's are too
valuable to modify. Until Raytheon gets that exo-suit on Amazon fabricators have a limited lifespan

You are referring to what my wife refers to as "slinging steel". It was the leading reason I moved away from fab work as a main stay. I am 56 and in fairly good shape and I'd prefer to remain that way. A lot less heavy lifting with what I am doing now and fewer customers to deal with. The big one NO SHIPPING and NO RETAIL. I don't know how you guys keep up with it all.

My back is feeling really good. More than anything, I REALLY ENJOYED THE OFF TIME TO MUCH! AND I really miss building cruisers.

I've been a human forklift for 30+ years. Being 6'-3" and 260# has its ups and downs..... I was wagging around full joints of 2-7/8" J-55 tubing in the oilfield supply store when I was 11. I've always been a stout little s***, but age is catching up to me...

So, we'll see... I'll always need to fill my time with something or I'll go bat-s*** crazy...

J

My redwood came in... I'll start playing with this in due time...

J

IMG_20160829_141839284.jpg

I use those pin-cam locks on the chain storage that I did on my front ARB....
They work great....!!!

I use those pin-cam locks on the chain storage that I did on my front ARB....
They work great....!!!

The ones I found are a hardened steel 10 pin. I read a thread a few years ago about the Schlage or Yale cylinders being installed in South America.. I have looked for 3 weeks and can't find it again.

J

The ones I found are a hardened steel 10 pin. I read a thread a few years ago about the Schlage or Yale cylinders being installed in South America.. I have looked for 3 weeks and can't find it again.

J

Lost World Expedition FJ60 Build

Post #33

28 pages of watched threads. There could be worse things in life to spend your time on right?

Would be interested if you could source a drop-in replacement with more security like this. Would be more rad if it's a all around kit front doors, ignition, glove and rear hatch.

I remember that post...
J... I did not realized you were referencing LWExp..

Thanks for posting that @NookShneer

It would be great to have that option for sure...

Lost World Expedition FJ60 Build

Post #33

28 pages of watched threads. There could be worse things in life to spend your time on right?

Would be interested if you could source a drop-in replacement with more security like this. Would be more rad if it's a all around kit front doors, ignition, glove and rear hatch.

I remember that post...
J... I did not realized you were referencing LWExp..

Thanks for posting that @NookShneer

It would be great to have that option for sure...

THAT'S THE ONE!!

Thanks for finding it again for me. The cam-pin looks more OE than the Yale cylinder. It's my understanding that the 10 pin cam is 5x harder to pick that the Yale as well.

I know a lock only keeps a honest person out of your car.... But the fact that I've had 3 cruisers that I can unlock the doors on with one key.. More than anything just want to try it.

I ordered the 10 pin cam and will experiment on a spare door I have.

Jason

Youre right J... locks will only keep an honest person out. I had a friend in High School (was a math genius) that loved those 10pin style locks. He figured out how to pick them with the cap from a ball point pen, never was able to figure it out myself but sure there are plenty of things on Youtube on how to do it now days. With as destroyed as my drivers lock is I was thinking about doing the same thing.

What is the cost of those 10pins vs. the cost of a new cylinder set from Onur? I know that I asked him at one point and want to say that it was something like $80 for the whole set (two front doors and new ignition cylinder).

So I got to thinking...

Would this be close to workable? I grabbed a lock off of a spare fuel door and it looks pretty close. I didn't tear apart my door panels so I'm not sure if they are different dimensions.

MVP Cam Lock

5 pin, 3/4'' Camlock 60*0950T (P) 60*0950T (S)

So I got to thinking...

Would this be close to workable? I grabbed a lock off of a spare fuel door and it looks pretty close. I didn't tear apart my door panels so I'm not sure if they are different dimensions.

MVP Cam Lock

5 pin, 3/4'' Camlock 60*0950T (P) 60*0950T (S)

The problem with most of the standard camlock and keyed cylinders is they are all keyed alike (how they keep costs)... Most all toolbox locks, Tuffy console boxes, golf carts, CAT, John Deere, Case and IH are all keyed alike. I have a ring of keys from my oilfield days that will pretty much start any piece of equipment in a refinery, pipeline or gas plant...

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom