Lost World Expedition FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would love, to once in my life have the opportunity to take an expedition such as this one.

my curiosity always gets the best of me though: How are trips like this funded ? What happens to the bills back home ?

Great job man! Good luck and best wishes!

Stop by Colombia when you hit South America. I can hook you up with my family out there!

nice job on the build I'm curious about what areas of utah you are going through??

nice work luis, chris, luke,......:wrench:

luis, if you come thru stockon CA hit me up. i'm right off the highway and would be happy to help out where i can.

georg @ valley hybrids

Sorry guys, thanks for all the comments, but I have not logged into MUD for a while. We are currently in La Paz Baja California Sur and today we are ferrying to Topolobampo in the Mexico "mainland." Baja is friggin amazing, it is very safe and very cheap still (by US standards). Plenty of free camping in beautiful beaches and plenty of tasty fish and asada tacos for a buck or a buck and a half!

I wanted to post some new pics of the Cruiser
Here is the current iteration of the 60

• New shoes! 33X10.5x15 BFG AT
  • New Rack a BajaRack Expedition rack specialy made for the 60
  • New waterproof and lockable Pelican box to store spare parts and other random ****
  • Another new rear 4x4 Labs bumper (long story), but Luke would not let me have one without the RQP protection (see my website for the story :)
  • an overpriced 15 amp battery charger (we need it to charge the group 31 "house" battery every 4th day or so, until we get a solar panel)
4174471106_1ee3f481bf.jpg

4174471896_10966a738e.jpg

4174472214_aa4ec9db18.jpg

We found this little BBQ grill a few days ago that fits perfectly in the spare wheel recess if the wheel is flipped over.
4173714259_9b5621b246.jpg

Luke at 4x4 Labs made us a swingaway for the water jerry and the 20# LPG tank
4173714465_1dc16ba629.jpg

The kitchen after making morning coffee
4174472520_451a0cc6dd.jpg

The van next to us is a french couple driving a home made RV (very cool). The van is a 4x4 Peugeot, but poor clearance and no 4 low...

Thanks for checking the rig... check out my website for the latest on what we are up to.

Sweet! I like how the kitchen comes out and stands up like that.

Last edited:
let me know when you arrive to cali colombia, i´ll gonna invite you some cold beers, just send me a pm and i´ll gonna give you my personal email and phone.

sweet expedition rig!!! those pics make me wanna go camping!

Go camping! We can see you in La Gran Sabana next year!

let me know when you arrive to cali colombia, i´ll gonna invite you some cold beers, just send me a pm and i´ll gonna give you my personal email and phone.

I will definitely PM you, I can't say no to cerveza fria in Cali! We are really looking forward to Colombia.

Funny yet sad story: we go visit Paul Pilgrim, in San Jose, Costa Rica. First, I drool over all his work and then we sit down and chat. After a while we go check out my Landcruiser and the first thing he does is grab HIS keys, walk over to my door and open it! With his keys! Then he sits in the driver's seat and proceeds to start the truck with HIS keys! Not something I wanted to see.

Paul proceeded to tell me of the insane number of Landcruiser of all years and models that are stolen every week in Costa Rica. Another thing I don't want to hear, as our security consists of... nothing, locked doors and a prayer. Parking in carefully selected places and not straying to far from the truck.

Paul recommended replacing the locks for Italian made Yale house locks. Who am I to disagree with the British local Landcruiser expert. He makes a call, and a few minutes later... this guy shows up
4948528864_3c3913984b_z.jpg

Then...
4948528588_b14b9bdbd8_z.jpg

And finished in a few minutes!
4948529016_862f0ba0a3_z.jpg

I did the driver and passenger door. Sh#t! Another key to loose...

I can't say it looks great, but it does not look bad and it is a tiny bit of peace of mind... not completely secure either as some of you may know how easy it is to open a 60 with a slim jim.

Yeah, I'd like to know what model Yale locks those are ...

And I think a hidden Kill switch may be in your future...

Yeah, I'd like to know what model Yale locks those are ...

And I think a hidden Kill switch may be in your future...

I guess I technically have a kill switch, I have a marine battery isolator which I can use to disconnect both batteries; however, it is under the hood.

I do want an in-cab kill switch and a lock that will keep the car in first or reverse. I think Sandcruiser and/or Kevin Rowland have one.

I guess I technically have a kill switch, I have a marine battery isolator which I can use to disconnect both batteries; however, it is under the hood.

I do want an in-cab kill switch and a lock that will keep the car in first or reverse. I think Sandcruiser and/or Kevin Rowland have one.

Kevin Rowland definitely has one. Pretty cool, it's documented in his ROTW thread.

Wouldn't it be best to lock the shifter in neutral? If someone managed to get it started, it'd be in gear for them to move around. The starter definitely has enough power to start the motor while in gear.

Play mind games with thieves. What do you think when you turn the key and all you get is the click of the solenoid? Most of us assume the battery is dead and jump it and move on. My thinking is that thieves generally don't have time for this and move on. Simply put, disable the starter motor....

Tony

Kevin Rowland definitely has one. Pretty cool, it's documented in his ROTW thread.

Wouldn't it be best to lock the shifter in neutral? If someone managed to get it started, it'd be in gear for them to move around. The starter definitely has enough power to start the motor while in gear.
I have seen it in Kevin's thread. In fact a lot of what we did to the truck was inspired by Kevin's rig.

I don't like leaving the 60 in neutral, I do not trust the parking break enough. I think if I lock it in reverse it would be hard to tow and/or drive away. At least it would be weird seeing a thief driving a truck around in reverse :)

I have seen it in Kevin's thread. In fact a lot of what we did to the truck was inspired by Kevin's rig.

I don't like leaving the 60 in neutral, I do not trust the parking break enough. I think if I lock it in reverse it would be hard to tow and/or drive away. At least it would be weird seeing a thief driving a truck around in reverse :)

That makes sense. I don't trust my e-brake as well. I suppose a good idea would be to back up to a solid object, like a tree or building, and lock the transmission in reverse.

Tony has a better idea though, disable the starter motor. Easy enough with a big switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom