Our '87 4R SR5 Honduras Coffee/Missions Rig Build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TPS is bad and I ordered a new OEM one. Will be in Tue. Fingers crossed!

-Daniel Kent

Mine was bad in my 86. could not set the timing and it had a dead spot between 1500 and 2500 rpm. power was weak too. after i replaced it and calibrated it, I found out my timing was at 3-4 degrees after TDC. Miraculously it passed smog with the old one. Mine was bad when I bought the runner, but from what Roger Brown and other write, using carb cleaner on the throttle body with the TPS installed help kills them.

Copy that. I have a Little Pasengers 3rd row seat as a forward facing bench in the back of my 40. I like it for the 3 integrated seat belts.

Cool. Is it true it's not easily removable or fold up? I'd like the bench, but need to space as well so that's why I thought the jump seats.

Cool. Is it true it's not easily removable or fold up? I'd like the bench, but need to space as well so that's why I thought the jump seats.

They do not fold/tumble and I would consider them permanently affixed. The Jeep Wrangler rear is the way to go for a forward facing fold/tumble seat. I have seen one mounted in a 3rd Gen 4Runner.

The FJC seat you picture looks like it folds out of the way...but to put it in your Runner will require bolting (4 bolts) through the floor. Removable...but not easily.

Cool, I'll keep the Jeep seat in mind. Smittybilt makes some.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427206608.241900.jpg

Pretty!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427226556.992548.jpg

Now to put it on.

I am thinking I have a bad TPS as well, so if you run into any problems, be sure to post them and how you resolved them. If I remember correctly you have to adjust the TPS even when installing a new one.

Ok that did not fix it! Here's a video for you listening pleasure.

Which temp sensor did you change? The one for the gauge or the one for the ecm. The one for the ecm can make it run rich if the ecm isn't showing it to be up to temp.

The one on the right (clean one).
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427297939.701423.jpg

Could your idle screw be leaking? That was another issue I ran into.

Just watched video: could it be in the wiring harness leading to plugs? Sounds like it's almost missing one (running on three?)?

Last edited:
I just checked and all the plugs are in. There's no fuel leaking anywhere from what I can tell.

Do a search under my username about bad injector harness connections.

Just read that thread and I'm gonna check that next!!! My white 4R has the same symptoms. Maybe this can bring both runners back to life! Keep ya posted, thank you!!
-Daniel Kent

That's what I meant to check was the injector harness. :doh: Dang sickness! Hope that resolves your issues. :beer:

Ok well we are moving our date to move to HN way up. I'm also about to leave for HN for about 3 weeks to line up living situation stuff. So I'm dropping the 4R off at the dealership to be fixed as we are on a deadline now. Along with finding out why it's running retarded, they will replace the chain, water pump, adjust the valve, etc. The shop and service manager are both my friends so they really take care of me. Hoping I come back with my 4R having a clean bill of health.

Metal chain guides?

I believe replacing the OE plastic guides with aftermarket metal ones is common and recommended when replacing the chain and/or water pump as the OE plastic guides are a weak point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom