Our '87 4R SR5 Honduras Coffee/Missions Rig Build... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swapping to a later ('89+) intake doesn't eliminate the IACV. It's just integrated into the throttle body, much less complicated. I have done the intake swap on mine, and I recently had to replace the IACV with a new one ($OUCH$), the old one was way out of adjustment and not working properly, but it only affects the idle.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cold-high-idle-woes.824557/#post-9457447

Daniel, if you need an older reed-style IACV, I still have one.

Did you ever get that Tuffy console mounted?

Cold start timer switch?

I may need it KLF, I'll let you know. The console isn't in yet, but I did manage to remove the old one. I was making head way and the BLAMMO my house went crazy with life projects, plus we've been adding on to the our coffee facility (roaster, coffee making EQ, etc.). Anyway now I'm waiting for some warm weather as I HATE cold weather!

I'll add the cold start thingy to my list. I love working on it, but I just wish it wasn't my DD.

Here's a video of it running rough if this helps...
Thx! -Daniel Kent

The vibrating in the cab is the license plate on the dash.

Last edited:
Sounds like timing to me. Your idle is too low, adjust with the big screw in the top of the throttle body. Should be around 650-700 rpm.

I wonder if it's that just because it was sudden... Driving fine and then BLAMMO running like that limping home.

Last edited:
Ok guys! In about a month I'm going to HN to check on our farm and I'm wondering what parts would be best for me to buy there that are hard or impossible to get here.

They have virtually every part you can imagine for the older gen Yota trucks. What would you buy and bring back for our 4Runner?

Thanks!
-Daniel Kent

Buying a timing light/gun... Should I get one that tells actual RPM's or traditional?

I never trust the dash tach when doing timing/tweaking. It's usually high. I have an old Sun diagnostic tach as well as a timing light.

Ok well good news. I've learned one of my neighbors is a tenured Toyota mechanic, so we have agreed to do some bartering! I've been doing pools for 15 yrs so I'm going to remodel their pool and he'll remodel our 4Runner. Each person pays for their own parts, but donates labor.

Pretty excited!

If you can believe it I'm still waiting on my replacement rails for our soft top. :eek:

Also going to HN in a few weeks, for a few weeks. So that will be fun! :D

-Daniel Kent

TPS is bad and I ordered a new OEM one. Will be in Tue. Fingers crossed!

-Daniel Kent

My new rails are finished and will be shipped to me Mon! :) Sadly I likely won't get the top back on until I get back from Honduras April 22nd. :(
-Daniel Kent
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427038677.754148.jpg

Took some time to take off the side steps. BETTER!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427069322.406067.jpg

Dang. I'm jealous of your rig. What rims are those?

Thank you both! Those rims to my knowledge are the original ones that came with it. They were pretty dirty and still need a good cleaning on the backside, but I like the look.:)

-Daniel Kent

Thinking about doing something like this on our 4R. Maybe 2-4 of them, although likely only 2 would fit.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427127849.306363.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427127862.079736.jpg

Source for the jump seat(s)?

Copy that. I have a Little Pasengers 3rd row seat as a forward facing bench in the back of my 40. I like it for the 3 integrated seat belts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom