OEM Pintle Hook (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put the spacer behind the crossmember. It works well and even straightened out some dents ;)

GX200 foreign market probably doesn't need safety. Heck, their commercials probably don't even have disclaimers to, "not try this at home". :)

This number is good in the JDM market:

image.jpg

The m416 hooks barely fit through between the hooks and the pintle itself! I had to remove the grease fitting for the main pivot. NOt sure how I'm going to solve this unless I go with smaller hooks.
image.jpg

Pete

Looking through the thread again I see that my pintle- which I believe to be oem- seems to be larger in size compared to the ones in the pics here.

P

View attachment 1002688

The m416 hooks barely fit through between the hooks and the pintle itself! I had to remove the grease fitting for the main pivot. NOt sure how I'm going to solve this unless I go with smaller hooks.View attachment 1002689

Pete

Looking through the thread again I see that my pintle- which I believe to be oem- seems to be larger in size compared to the ones in the pics here.

P

Curious Pete how much in US dollars were the eye bolts for the safety chains? I see them for the early jeeps every once in a while. Probably cheaper to buy the jeep ones local then ship by OEM from Japan. If your pintle hook has a locking cotter pin and grease fitting it's not original. As for clearance rotate the eye bolts so that the top is closer to the pintle hook. That will give extra room for the hook on the safety chain.

but would jeep ones be as robust as cruiser? no other jeep item i've found is anywhere near as beefy

I tried the eyes rotated the other way and it was a no go. I'll give it another shot. I thought the pintle was original as I remember there not being paint under it on the crossmember but I msy be remembering incorrectly. It's be off of a 60 or 70 series.

The eyebolt are under 7$ each. But shipping a single set would cost at least 20$ if not more. It's a 12mm fine thread bolt- same as the other bolts that hpld on the pintle. A jeep bolt would be 1/2" and slightly larger in diameter. But it all comes down to the grade of the material.

Pete

View attachment 1002688

These types of finds confirm what I have thought all along: Toyota does not want to support the Toyota Land Cruiser in the US market anymore.

The fact that those are live and good numbers in the Japanese market and they are "discontinued" here is very sad.

This is what I get when I look that part up: POUND SAND BENO!!

POUNDSANDBENO.jpg

These types of finds confirm what I have thought all along: Toyota does not want to support the Toyota Land Cruiser in the US market anymore.

The fact that those are live and good numbers in the Japanese market and they are "discontinued" here is very sad.

The pintle hitch is still good however. 51980-69016, only $515.86.......

I've had people buy them. Worth it for a resto. :)

They compliment the 337 dollar gas can quite nicely........:lol:

there are not too many concours ... the rest are nice resto's :)

too rich for me... however... i'll still put them on my wanted list with Santa

great info

I would love to do a concours restoration on the 1960.... Maybe once I determine what color the bumper needs to be :) I figure another year or two of research is needed.

I tried the eyes rotated the other way and it was a no go. I'll give it another shot. I thought the pintle was original as I remember there not being paint under it on the crossmember but I msy be remembering incorrectly. It's be off of a 60 or 70 series.

The eyebolt are under 7$ each. But shipping a single set would cost at least 20$ if not more. It's a 12mm fine thread bolt- same as the other bolts that hpld on the pintle. A jeep bolt would be 1/2" and slightly larger in diameter. But it all comes down to the grade of the material.

Pete

Pete if you look at Post #10 on the first page of this thread if shows the current Pintle hook Toyota is selling. Lookis just like the ones used back on the FJ25 with no cotter pin lock. The bolt pattern of the pintle is standard. Probably have at least six non Toyota pintle hooks. Because of the cotter pin lock I switched from OEM to aftermarket on my 70 FJ40. Still using the stock eye bolts. At $7.00 if you willing we could probably work out a group buy on eye bolts. I could finance and handle it on this side of the ocean.

View attachment 1003787

:hmm: Just figuring this out. Having my 9/67 production 68 model for over forty years I figure that out time long ago. I believe Dan said it was a parts system change in 79 when Toyota dropped the pre 3/69 from the system.:bang: Moved from Flagstaff, AZ to Phoenix, AZ in 1978. It was shortly after that I remember went to the dealer and asked for a part the parts guy dug out a book to find the part number. By know besides having most the dealers today not even being around back then the ones who are no longer have the books. Can't remember the last time I seen one with a micro-fiche reader.

Within the last couple of weeks Turner Classic Movies showed Dark of the Sun. I set up DVR to record it and watching it now. Haven't seen it in years. I was surprised the they referred to the FJ40 as a Land Cruiser and not a jeep.:clap:

Don't throw eyelet bolts at me but I've got a question. Did the Pintle Hook equipped 40's exclude the step and "bumperettes"? In other words was it EITHER a pintle hook/koito socket OR "bumperettes"/step rear set-up? Was there ever a combination or option of all three. The step and "bumperettes" would seem to limit backing/turning radius pulling a ring trailer.

I think it was all two or three, at least with the 25. The rear step was only provided with swinging or fixed tailgate, no step provided with drop tailgates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom