Odometer Reset to zero (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I did not know that I would stir up such emotion about this topic. I have been pm'ed and told to F myself, which really is an intelligent comment.
Like I said if you understood what I am starting with and what components I am using you would understand, or a reasonable person would.
Just to make it clearer, this is not a rebuild, restore/mod, or anywhere close to a restoration and certainly not the rebuild thread that is at the bottom of my post. (I have not even started a thread on this project, but will soon.)
I will reveal the pictures of what I started with and where the parts came from to get this project started when i start the thread. Lots of parts from MUD members, eBay and Craig's list. Not sure how I will title the thread. Maybe Junk Yard Dog or Resurrection. Maybe some ideas would be good.
Anyway, everyone is entitled to an opinion but don't attack my character without knowing the facts.
Merry Christmas!!
Oh heck that may offend someone. But you know I could care less if I offend you.
Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!
Gary

Last edited:
don't worry about it Gary, most likely people that tell you to F yourself have not been around here very long, I plan to roll back to odometer on my resto too. The #'s on the existing odomoter won't match up to the swapped in 2f and I have no idea how many miles the used 2f has as it came with the car. People are weird.

Noah

rollback

For those that have been working on FJ40s and inter changing parts it seems like no big deal. But people are always asking me how many miles on the FJ40 - they are always curious and this seems to mean something to them.

So, I can understand why people are a bit taken back when someone announces they are rolling back to zero. Heck when my buddy bought a 68 mustang with matching numbers he was most proud of the low miles.

I am not an ethicist, but setting back millage is one of those things if said in mixed company is always gong to get you a strong reaction.

Instead of rolling it back, just roll it forward to 99,999. Or, if you have 6 numbers (I can't recall when they went from 5 to 6 numbers on the odo) put it at 999,999. Then no one can say you rolled it back! :hillbilly:

:cheers:

Well, I did not know that I would stir up such emotion about this topic. I have been pm'ed and told to F myself, which really is an intelligent comment.
Like I said if you understood what I am starting with and what components I am using you would understand, or a reasonable person would.
Just to make it clearer, this is not a rebuild, restore/mod, or anywhere close to a restoration.
I will reveal the pictures of what I started with and where the parts came from to get this project started when i start the thread. Lots of parts from MUD members, eBay and Craig's list. Not sure how I will title the thread. Maybe Junk Yard Dog or Resurrection. Maybe some ideas would be good.
Anyway, everyone is entitled to an opinion but don't attack my character without knowing the facts.
Merry Christmas!!
Oh heck that may offend someone. But you know I could care less if I offend you.
Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!
Gary

Hey Gary, Merry Christmas to you too. I, like so many others, bought a cruiser with a non working speedo/odometer. Previous owner had it for most of its life, over 20 years, and had no idea what the actual mileage was because the odo had quit years ago. I read the rebuild thread and took it down to bits and pieces. When I assembled it should I have reset it to 135,000 miles? WTF for? I reset it to zero just because it was as easy as any other number on the chart and now I know how many miles I have put on it since, accounting for the 10 mph error in my speedo. I say get it working first and worry about the anality of some of these guys when you have time to reflect on them. My guess is that there are bigger fish to fry than their comments. Keep the faith. Happy trails.:cheers:

This is a funny thread...

Most Cruisers are over 25 years old if not 30 and have been restored by somebody..

I have worked on two friends FJ's lately that have either had broken cables or no speedo cables.

I have replaced Odometers before but I always throw the original in the cars part box in-case i ever sell.

This IS a funny thread.
In the past 25 or so years that I've owned my Pig, I put 3 used speedos in. Then I figured out how to fix my own.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society/457850-plays-speedos.html

I move the numbers anywhere I want, I'm not planning on ever selling it.
If someone asks me how many miles are on it, I can honestly say "I don't really know, it's on it's third motor and fourth speedo."

It's your rig, put the numbers where you want.

I put my 45 back to 0. The first odometer stopped working at some unknown point. Who's to say what it should be? I'll check the "not actual mileage" box when I sell it. Even my pig, which has always worked, there's no saying what the mileage is actually at and almost none of the parts have the same mileage any way.

Who knows how many miles are on the rig in the first place...80K, 180K, 280K. If I ever sell it I will say the miles showed x and I had it zeroed when I bought it. Nothing nefarious about that. I also have a SBC and am putting in a new used transmission. If it was a show rig that was original, yea, I see the reason for keeping it original.

Weber Sarge said:
I fully understand about rollbacks and actually agree here - to a point .
The problem with these rigs is the fact that almost all odometers stop working , so it's a mute point anyway.
Sarge

If it's a "mute" point, can anyone hear it? Try moot next time.

My odo was rolled back to zero by the PO, when he did the frame off, which included a new crate 350 and an Aqualu tub. I'm glad he did it, as I know how many miles are on it since it was basically remanufactured, but I can see the point of the guy who is getting drilled here for his opinion that rolling back is unethical. I think it's all about disclosure, and only at time of sale; if you've rolled back or replaced, and inform any potential new owners of that, no worries. If you don't, you're kind of sleazy, IMO. If you're not selling, it's your rig, who cares what anyone thinks? What I think is really sleazy is selling a rig with a rolled over odo, and implying original miles, without stating that they may be 100K, or 200K, understated. That happened recently here in Austin, and is pretty sneaky, again IMO.

Who knows how many miles are on the rig in the first place...80K, 180K, 280K. If I ever sell it I will say the miles showed x and I had it zeroed when I bought it. Nothing nefarious about that. I also have a SBC and am putting in a new used transmission. If it was a show rig that was original, yea, I see the reason for keeping it original.
Exactly my point. The majority of us have changed parts, lifted suspensions, and altered or updated this and that. So really, how many miles are on what part.It's your rig. Do as you wish. I'll keep reciepts and the old odometer if I ever wish to sell . Hopefully the purchaser of any older vehicle would have a base knowledge of the vehicle they want to buy and understand that some parts may be original , and some may not. Soooo I guess when I install my 0 mile VDO speedo into my new gauge cluster , I'll be joining you in ****.

If it's a "mute" point, can anyone hear it? Try moot next time.

My odo was rolled back to zero by the PO, when he did the frame off, which included a new crate 350 and an Aqualu tub. I'm glad he did it, as I know how many miles are on it since it was basically remanufactured, but I can see the point of the guy who is getting drilled here for his opinion that rolling back is unethical. I think it's all about disclosure, and only at time of sale; if you've rolled back or replaced, and inform any potential new owners of that, no worries. If you don't, you're kind of sleazy, IMO. If you're not selling, it's your rig, who cares what anyone thinks? What I think is really sleazy is selling a rig with a rolled over odo, and implying original miles, without stating that they may be 100K, or 200K, understated. That happened recently here in Austin, and is pretty sneaky, again IMO.

I know the ****** difference between "moot" and "mute" - point being that no one is listening to the OP .
Sarge

I feel a move coming in this threads future.
:)

Wow, you never know what will set people off. Personally, I don't see a problem with zeroing an odometer unless you are somehow attempting to defraud a buyer. Although rebuilding the cluster is still on my to-do list on my resto, I plan on zeroing mine, even though it only shows 5k now. I have no idea if it had 5k, 105k, or 205k originally, but I never asked and really didn't care when I bought it. I would rather have it show mileage since the restoration. If I ever sell it, the milage will still show unknown on the title, but the new owner will know how many miles since everything was rebuilt, since the reset will be documented with the rest of restoration.

I bought mine "mileage unknown" as the PPO had swapped in a later cluster so the odometer wasn't right to start with.

I reset it to 00000.0 when the new engine went in after catastrophically failing the original F.5. That way the odometer shows the miles on the engine (well ~13.8% low due to 33" tires). Sadly I have less than 6k on the engine since the rebuild in late '04.

You just jack the back end up, and run it in reverse till you hit 000000, right?

/Beuller, Beuller?
How long does that take?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom