Odometer Reset to zero (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gwalt584

SILVER Star
Threads
can anyone tell me how to reset or adjust a Fj40 odometer to read zero miles. If the odometer exceeds the mechanical limits and you state that, I don't think this would be a federal offense.
I did a search and did not find anything.

It's easy to take apart. Just pull the needle off and go to town. Some bushings etc. are kinda tight, but not too bad. Your nylon gears might be stripped, not sure if/where you can get new ones.

I don't really understand the zero'ing out thing. Even if you do a full rebuild, you are still (almost always) using old, worn gears in the tranny, t-case, and diffs. Might not make a difference, but could, technically.

And there are some others parts that get worn out, apparently, with age. Later 2F heads come to mind from reports on this forum.

Just my opinion :meh:

I recommend loosening, but not removing, the odometer wheels, just until you can get them to bypass each other and reset to 00000.0. Never take apart an odometer any more than you need to, unless you're very confident in your abilities. Also, be very careful not to wash the numbers on the wheels - they are fragile and can start to disappear. I re-zeroed an odometer on a '65 Frankentruck that had not a single part with the same number of miles on it. Any 'original' odometer reading would have been a joke.

odometer

Thanks for the information. I have another build going now and I will be putting a thread up on it before long (almost finished painting at this date) When you see what I started with and what I went with you will know why I wanted to reset to zero.
Gary

no matter what excuse you use turning back a speedo isnt right and destroys the character of the vehicle legal or not.it also questions the integrety of the owner to any future buyers.

WOW thats harsh. I turned my fresh painted cluster back to Zero but if it would ever get sold I still have the Original cluster that goes with it. But back on topic I just did what SteveH said in his post it was very easy

Last edited:
Who's integrity

no matter what excuse you use turning back a speedo isnt right and destroys the character of the vehicle legal or not.it also questions the integrety of the owner to any future buyers.

I dunno about that. I've put $22 K into my 77 and I've got a ways to go. But, then again, I didn't do this because I plan on selling it to a schulb who wants something to putz around with in between Saturday afternoon shows down at the hamburger joint parking lot. Then there is the issue having 33 inch BFGs. You don't like those either? I guess having a new, modern speedo so that I know how fast I am traveling is a crime. Shouldn't have removed all the body cancer either.

Dang. Mom is gonna be upset.

Mitch

Hold your horses big boy!! Those are some strong words there!!
LOL!!

That's stupid. The OP has no intent to defraud. Mine was seized and I took it apart and cleaned it. When I put it back together I could not get it set properly so I set it to zero. It was not the original odometer anyway. Additionally, people replace odometers with aftermarket stuff all the time. That is neither illegal, wrong or "questions the integrity."

gwalt - do what you gotta do. :cheers:

its just my personal obsevation there are circumstances like new gauges .but to roll back a speedo to me just isnt right and for the last 50 years to me was always wrong.i geuss nowdays all you need is an excuse and eveything is okay.maybey i live to far into the past to see things clearly.back in the 50s things were cut and dried if you rolled back a speedo you were a crook and no one wanted to get caught doing it.geuss i should get with the times.

shelfboy1 said:
its just my personal obsevation there are circumstances like new gauges .but to roll back a speedo to me just isnt right and for the last 50 years to me was always wrong.i geuss nowdays all you need is an excuse and eveything is okay.maybey i live to far into the past to see things clearly.back in the 50s things were cut and dried if you rolled back a speedo you were a crook and no one wanted to get caught doing it.geuss i should get with the times.

What r u talking about? It's called a mileage discrepancy on the title. There's no deception by the seller. My 69 has a zeroed out cluster. Most buyers would prefer a zero on the cluster if the mileage was off anyway. Back in the 50's? Is that when everything was awesome? I have some real issues with that statement but I'll leave my ranting for later. :)
To each his own I suppose.

nonsense. what if the car came with another engine in it and the odomoter is a different one. Unless you are speaking of a matching set of engine/frame.

I'm still under construction,But,OK, I can chime in. 78 FJ40, bought with fiberglass tub ,78,000 miles. I find 76 body, ??? miles, By By FG tub. Now frame off. 350 Chevy V8 crate motor,2000 miles, VDO gauges , 0 miles, roll cage ,0 miles , Corbeau seats , my butt has sat in one once sinced purchsed,5minutes of butt miles, new SST's , .10 miles (I did roll it around the shop a couple times). Numerous aftermarket parts ( yet to be bolted on). You get my point. Your rig is what it is. If you are going MECUM ,do not roll the OD. If you are like me, Document, and save your reciepts. I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom