October Club Run - Mohave Trail, October 14-17 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am leaving Long Beach noon Thurs. Will monitor channel 146.535. I cruse 60 to 63 mph . Don't want to slow anybody down! If I see you on the way great. If not see you at Ari. I also need to fuel at Barstow .

Any thoughts on the 40 vs the 15 as a route from the North? I hate that long section of no mans land on the 40. Google maps shows it as a draw between the two options.
If you're coming from the so LA county, Orange County area or farther South .15N to the 40E is the most direct route .

Since we’re running the trail Friday through Sunday, we’ll meet at the trailhead at 8:00 AM on Friday, 10/15. It’s about a 5 hour drive to the trailhead from South OC, so I’m spending Thursday night at the Avi Resort, which is just a few minutes from the trailhead. I just booked a room for Thursday night ($50), and I’d suggest you book soon for the best rates/availability. If the Avi fills up, you can stay somewhere else in Laughlin, but it’ll be a few minutes farther from the trailhead.

If you’re planning to attend this run, will you please check-in on this thread, so I’ll know whom to expect? Thanks!

JR
For any members of the group that wish to have dinner together at the avi Thursday night . We will meet at the front desk lobby area between 645-7 p.m. . Even if you're running a bit late I believe there are only 2 restaurants open in the resort , just come find us . There are several fast food vendors in the resort as well.. But that is not where we were planning.

Marc

For any members of the group that wish to have dinner together at the avi Thursday night . We will meet at the front desk lobby area between 645-7 p.m. . Even if you're running a bit late I believe there are only 2 restaurants open in the resort , just come find us . There are several fast food vendors in the resort as well.. But that is not where we were planning.

Marc
For any members who wish to have breakfast Friday morning we will also meet between 645 and 7:00 a.m.in the avi .

Marc

Updated list a/o 10/11/21

Joe (Trail Leader)
Jason (Sidesx4)
Marc (oc cruiser 97)
Will (DoneThoo2)
Brent (Brentbba)
grannygear
Bushwick51
Dave (Big Wave Dave)
Brandon (Justanothermember)
Evan (gryt4r)
Clay (wizteq)
Chris V. (grumpyoldman)
Patrick (jabronie9)
Pablo (ki6bdb)
Ron S. (Rockys60)
Chuck (Chuck Mitchell)

Please remember the fire restrictions. Gas or propane stoves with a shut off valve are not prohibited, but unfortunately, no campfires allowed. I had hoped we might be able to have a campfire our first night in the New York Mountains, but we are still within the boundaries of the Mojave National Preserve, so it's a no-go.

Be sure and see oc cruiser 97's posts about caravanning and dinner.

What type of radio communications do you guys use on trail?
We don't have an "official" club communications platform, though Brent is correct - it seems that most of the newer members are gravitating towards Ham. Some of the older members also seem to be transitioning away from CB to Ham. We also have a few club members who have GMRS/Rugged Radios. If you don't have anything at this time, don't worry. My plan is to have the trail leaders in communications with the "tail-gunners" to help keep the groups together. If you do get around to buying something in the future, I'd suggest Ham. Everyone I've talked to says the license test isn't difficult with just a little bit of preparation.

I ditched my old CB and went to a handheld Ham radio (Baofeng 5 watt, so it's not very powerful) and connected it to an exterior mount antenna (that helps extend the range and make up for the fact that it's a weak radio). So far, I'm happy with the performance of my set-up. It's cost-effective and doesn't require mounting a radio anywhere in the truck. I hope this helps!

Updated list a/o 10/11/21

Joe (Trail Leader)
Jason (Sidesx4)
Marc (oc cruiser 97)
Will (DoneThoo2)
Brent (Brentbba)
grannygear
Bushwick51
Dave (Big Wave Dave)
Brandon (Justanothermember)
Evan (gryt4r)
Clay (wizteq)
Chris V. (grumpyoldman)
Patrick (jabronie9)
Pablo (ki6bdb)
Ron S. (Rockys60)
Chuck (Chuck Mitchell)

Please remember the fire restrictions. Gas or propane stoves with a shut off valve are not prohibited, but unfortunately, no campfires allowed. I had hoped we might be able to have a campfire our first night in the New York Mountains, but we are still within the boundaries of the Mojave National Preserve, so it's a no-go.

Be sure and see oc cruiser 97's posts about caravanning and dinner.
Got my propane fire pit all loaded. By the way. Michael T. Aka grannygear.

Nice This may be our only source of a campfire for this a campfire for this trip

Those are a no go too or I'd be bringing mine. Propane stoves and lanterns with shut off valves only.

I've asked park rangers about the metal inclosed propane fires with ahut off valves and told no.

Here's the info directly from Mojave NPS:

EXTREME FIRE DANGER - No Fires Permitted in Mojave National Preserve​

Date Posted: 5/24/2021As of July 23, Any open fire of any kind is prohibited. Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves are okay in a safe area cleared of flammable materials.

Those are a no go too or I'd be bringing mine. Propane stoves and lanterns with shut off valves only.

I've asked park rangers about the metal inclosed propane fires with ahut off valves and told no.
These restrictions are so frustrating! And, I think there may be some confusion on the actual interpretation of the restriction. If a propane fire pit also has a grille attachment, maybe it's technically a stove, too? Hopefully, it's a moot point and we won't encounter any pesky rangers...

These restrictions are so frustrating! And, I think there may be some confusion on the actual interpretation of the restriction. If a propane fire pit also has a grille attachment, maybe it's technically a stove, too? Hopefully, it's a moot point and we won't encounter any pesky rangers...
They do take the fun out of it with the restrictions but there are to many stupid people and we're being legislated to the lowest common denominator. Bit of a stretch to interpret a stove the same as a grate over a fire pit IMHO.

Last edited:
They do take the fun out of it with the restrictions but there are to many stupid people and we're being legislated to the lowest common denominator. Bit of a stretch to interpret a stove the same as a grate over a fire pit IMHO.
Yeah, I hear you. And, I’m not sure if s’mores count as cooking… 🤔

We don't have an "official" club communications platform, though Brent is correct - it seems that most of the newer members are gravitating towards Ham. Some of the older members also seem to be transitioning away from CB to Ham. We also have a few club members who have GMRS/Rugged Radios. If you don't have anything at this time, don't worry. My plan is to have the trail leaders in communications with the "tail-gunners" to help keep the groups together. If you do get around to buying something in the future, I'd suggest Ham. Everyone I've talked to says the license test isn't difficult with just a little bit of preparation.

I ditched my old CB and went to a handheld Ham radio (Baofeng 5 watt, so it's not very powerful) and connected it to an exterior mount antenna (that helps extend the range and make up for the fact that it's a weak radio). So far, I'm happy with the performance of my set-up. It's cost-effective and doesn't require mounting a radio anywhere in the truck. I hope this helps!
Thanks. I did pick up a GMRS and a Ham but I will not be licensed and up to speed by Thursday. Still. It’s something to have in the kit.

Hey guys,

If you need a 5 gallon Jerry can transported, I have a slot on my 3 jerry can rear carrier open for you. Let me know...

Seeya Thursday night/ Friday morning.

I'm up for the group dinner at the Avi on Thursday night and breaky Friday morning.
I do plan to bring my drone to gets some shots of us all 4X4ing on the trail.

A couple of members including myself, are planning to leave the Costa Mesa area Thursday about noon . If anyone is interested in caravanning with us or possibly meeting up with us somewhere along the freeway let me know? And will try to coordinate Location .
Marc
I am up for a caravan! I am planning to head out at noon as well, but I'm heading out of Pasadena area. I plan to make a stop at Barstow to gas up and can meet up there if everyone is planning to top off there as well.

I am up for a caravan! I am planning to head out at noon as well, but I'm heading out of Pasadena area. I plan to make a stop at Barstow to gas up and can meet up there if everyone is planning to top off there as well.
What are you driving and do you have ham comms? I'm in a white 80 with a RTT. I'll monitor 146.535 which will be the frequency for the trip. I always monitor national simex 146.520.

What are you driving and do you have ham comms? I'm in a white 80 with a RTT. I'll monitor 146.535 which will be the frequency for the trip. I always monitor national simex 146.520.
I'll be driving my 5th gen 4runner with a Ironman RTT. I have the Baofeng handheld with an antenna.

I will be passing through Barstow as well from the north. I will turn my brand new radio on and listen. I plan on leaving Santa Clarita about noon as well. 2 hours to Barstow. Driving black GX470.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom