October 2023 Club Run - Oceano Dunes SVRA, October 20-22. Reserve your campsite now! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got my truck back from having some work done, so I was not able to reserve a campsite in advance. Being a Ventura County resident, I think this may be the one time that I have a shorter drive to the meet up spot than most others - so a day trip is actually a realistic thing for me. Though I'd prefer to stay the night on Friday and/or Saturday, even if its in another campground or local motel. I might need a little additional info in order to make up my mind about what I'm going to do. I've never been to Oceano Dunes. I've never driven a vehicle on the beach, or even in sand. I have certainly seen plenty of videos of trucks and cruisers launching themselves off the tops of dunes, but I'm guessing that's probably not everyone's scene these days. Can someone tell me what I'd have in store if I came up? What kind of daytime activities, etc? Am I totally missing out if I don't camp with the rest of the group?
First off - It’s a blast! My 1st time at Pismo was in my first 4WD, a 1965 Jeep Wagoneer. I was a high school kid with no off-road experience and I promptly got stuck. I didn’t even know enough to air down my tires! Since then, I’ve been multiple times.

No launching required! In fact, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you have a properly prepared race truck and a trailer to bring it home on.

Most of the daytime activities will just be cruising around on the sand, though the beach & town are also options. If you air down your tires, you should be fine. For most trails, I typically air down to 18-20 PSI. But, on the sand I go down to 10-12 PSI. The super low inflation really helps with flotation, and since there are no rocks there is very little risk in popping a bead. In sand, momentum is your friend. Start off slowly so you don’t dig in (your 80 Series even has a “2nd gear start“ button specifically for sand).

Obviously, I think camping with the group would be more fun, but a close motel or private camp would work, too. For that matter, a day trip might be okay for you, too, since you’re at least 1 ½ hours closer. Hope you can make it! PM me or call me if you have any additional questions, or want to discuss this further.

Thanks, Joe. A very kind offer has been extended by a fellow club member whereby I might be able to camp with the group on Saturday night - which could actually be perfect for me. I'm all set up for sleeping in my 80, but I don't have any camp kitchen equipment. But I guess we're not to far from civilization, so I'll probably be just fine with some water/trail snacks, and I can get a real meal in town if needed. I also need to get a whip/flag or whatever. This could work out!

FYI for anyone who doesn't have reserved beach camping through Oceano Dunes, but would still like to participate in this club run: You may be able to find a space at a local private campground, or in a local motel. As a last resort, you could consider this for a day trip, though it would be a very long day - Oceano Dunes is about 4 hours from my home in south OC (Mission Viejo).
Unfortunately I won't be able to make this run, but I do know some cool spots for some dispersed camping in SLO or SB in Los Padres NF (which may beat the long drive back home) If anyone is interested, let me know! Have fun and stay safe!
1697444236699.png

Hi, I all set to head out for Dune Fun. There might be a change of plan, but if I can get cell service on the dunes for a Zoom meeting I'll be fine. So what are the tentative plans know that people will arrive at different times: 1) Meeting location which Pole #?, 2) Meet time for those not camping on the dunes? 3) Anything I might have missed?

Hi, I all set to head out for Dune Fun. There might be a change of plan, but if I can get cell service on the dunes for a Zoom meeting I'll be fine. So what are the tentative plans know that people will arrive at different times: 1) Meeting location which Pole #?, 2) Meet time for those not camping on the dunes? 3) Anything I might have missed?
Plenty of cell service on the du es as I recall.

Hey gang, pay attention to your arrival time due to high tide and the creek flowing over the beach. High tide at 1:39 Friday afternoon. Not a high one at 2.62 ft but never the less could create a not so fun delay accessing the dunes. I have seen vehicles stuck there!!!

Screenshot_20231017_081640_Chrome.jpg

Tide Chart

Screenshot_20231017_081800_Chrome.jpg

Can anyone estimate a safe arrival time on Friday afternoon ... 2-3hrs after the afternoon peak?
Well, 10-11 am or 3-4pm should do. 7am low tide is a little early leaving OC and 10pm is a little late. A lot really depends on hkw much water is flowing thru the creek Friday.

Cell service should be pretty good, as I recall. Re: your questions -
1) I’m planning to get there tomorrow and find a spot. I’ll post the nearest pole number by Thursday evening.
2) How about 9:00 AM meeting time for anyone not beach camping?
3) Just a reminder to bring a dune flag & have a way to mount it. They are usually available for purchase in town if anyone forgets.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Recap: It looks like at least seven of us will make this club run, and we’ll all be beach camping:

Joel
Brent
Carlos
Achilles
Joe & Robin
818Toyotafan
Katsuo70

Have I missed anyone? Anyone not beach camping?

Last edited:
i am planning to only camp Friday night;
- is a dune flag needed?
- any tips for crossing AG creek?

yep, first time beach camping and Oceano Dunes.

A flag is needed if you plan to beyond the beach and go back into the dunes. Info here.

Crossing the creek usually is no big deal. If there is water and it is not clear how deep, just wait until someone else crosses to get an idea of how deep and it will also give you an idea of a route to follow.

i am planning to only camp Friday night;
- is a dune flag needed?
- any tips for crossing AG creek?

yep, first time beach camping and Oceano Dunes.
For one day on the dune, a roll of duct tape, a 4 ft fiberglass ground stake, and a couple of red shop rags and you’re in business.
Make sure you have another vehicle nearby and ready to pull you out before you cross the creek. Even better if you could follow someone

FYI, I just arrived at Ocean Dune, 2:45PM the creek crossing closed at 2:30PM and may not open tonight.

IMG_9668.jpeg

IMG_9667.jpeg

IMG_9676.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey All, we are coming up tomorrow morning and will be camping with our motorhome at one of the RV parks in Pismo. If anyone needs a flag and whip, I will be bringing a couple extras. See you tomorrow on the dunes!

Rich

We are south of the entrance, past pole #5, almost to pole #6, and backed up to the wire fence boundary. GPS coordinates are: 35.06403, -120.62877.

I crossed the creek at 5:40 PM, and the water was only hub height. I aired down both my truck & A-Liner trailer to 12 PSI, and got here without any issues.

Achilles & Joel are here, and Carlos should be here soon. Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

I'm taking over 818Toyotafan's reserved campsite, and plan to arrive between 8:30am and 9:00am Saturday AM. I will have my radio and cell phone on. Should be able to find your campsite, Joe. But if the meet-up is going to be somewhere else, just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom