Newbie here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just started looking at potentially buying an older FJ40 and thought this would be a good place to get an education. Hopefully I'll be be fortunate enough to have pics of a new purchase to post in the next few weeks!

I just started looking at potentially buying an older FJ40....

seeing as how the "newest" one is twenty years old now, you aint going to find a new one.
but for around 40-50k you can get one that is like new.

welcome! I look forward to seeing pics of your "new to you "purchase. The more time you spend on the site, the less time you'll spend "undoing" ((don't ask me how I know :)).

are you a fixer or do you want one done (whatever that means) ... either way there are good ones around if you're patient ... welcome to the best resource around ...
:cheers:

Best source for sure! I don't know where I would be with my 40 or the '76 I am involved with as well if it was not for mud. Also, check out he frequently asked questions-outstanding stuff there or just ask away.....welcome!

Run Forest Run ! Don't ever say we didn't tell you, stop now while you still can

:cheers:

welcome aboard! this site is full of ideas, information, help and well... friendly abuse;):D. can't wait to see the 40!

seeing as how the "newest" one is twenty years old now, you aint going to find a new one.
but for around 40-50k you can get one that is like new.

Ha, good point! What I meant was pre 1974 :)

another 40 in AZ :bounce:

Good luck.. and take your time... I was a bit too hasty in my purchase but happy nonetheless.. there isnt a day goes by that I dont spend at least an hour on the forum and I only joined this past month. research everything!

Good luck.. and take your time... I was a bit too hasty in my purchase but happy nonetheless.. there isnt a day goes by that I dont spend at least an hour on the forum and I only joined this past month. research everything!

That's great advice, thanks!

Other than rust, what would be everyone's top 3 "deal killers" when making a decision on a sub $10K FJ40? My guess would be mods that are tough to undo, but I'm interested to hear what y'all have to say!

I am in Prescott Valley...............welcome!

good read: *** Purchasing an FJ-40 / FJ-40 B U Y E R S G U I D E *** (f A Q )

'butchered truck' ... hacked appart

a few i would never buy:

6270_12.jpg
Jeep-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-1.jpg
9556_1.jpg
1969 fl40.png

Clunky, being new to the forum (brand new in fact), i can offer the following.
I just bought a truck that was missing items that are hard, expensive, or both to replace. I bought the fj40 I bought despite the completely rotted out tub, because of the following:
1. it has a really good frame
2. decent hard top and fenders
3. 3.73 gears
4. parking brake at the transfer case not at the rear brakes
5. the price was below 5 grand
6. it was close by (under 2 hours each way)

My tub is totally rusted out. Not repairable in my opinion. The amount of money to replace the body in steel would probably exceed 5gs not including welding equipment and/or labor. The cost of a new Gozzard (fiberglass-FRP) tub or an aluminum tub are also around 5gs which would be closer to plug and play than 100 hours of welding. so ultimately I am in the position where the condition of my fj40 will dictate the type of "restoration" I will do. This is probably always the case, however, in my situation, I might have taken more time to decide which type of build I really wanted to do. At this point if I want to rebuild my fj and have a completely original truck I would have a harder time without finding a donor truck which would defeat the purpose (at least for me) of buying a rig under 10k. so I will probably not concern myself with building a totally original truck with original tub etc. I will, however, build a kick ass fj40 with cool bucket seats, original motor with a weber or holly, with a nice top and wheels etc. It wont be perfect but will make most everyone envious!

My two cents. Good luck and take your time. There are a lot of cruisers out there. find the right one for you .

What is everyone's opinion on buying one without the doors and top? How difficult is it to source and install those items?

Weber or Holley ? :bang: - what's wrong with the original carburetor ?

doors and hardtops come up on Craigslist from time to time in the Phoenix area - there may be some forum members willing to part with theirs as well, check the Classifieds often

Doors seem to be readily available around here. I've seen tops listed for sale multiple times, but they are often pretty rusty (you'll likely have better luck with that). And there are brand new soft tops available, bestop apparently still makes them new, and I've seen messages here from a user trollhole that has some more original tops being produced new (sounded like a marine fabric business was sewing them up custom made) that look pretty nice.
I bought my first fj40 in parts from a junkyard with the idea that I could assemble it all myself. At the time I knew little of the FJ40 specifics, and didn't see several things that would have convinced me to walk away now that I know.
First was the sloppy chevy repower (engine, and all part were no longer there). They cut all the original motor and transmission mounts off the frame. I think also removed some tabs to hold the radiator on.
Second was the power steering conversion. 1/4 plate welded to the frame and the steering box mounted with a stack of washers to hold several of the bolts. The crossmember the steering linkage has to pass through, where I've read others use a hole saw for a nice straight hold, and weld in pipe (round tube) to maintain strength was instead burned out of the way with a torch (very sloppily). The steering was never complete, and the Pontiac steering column and wheel never mounted to the firewall, which I was aware of when I purchased it but didn't really look at the way the box was mounted.
There were some other issues that would need to be undone, but were do able, and not outa the question for the price I paid. But those two issues turned that frame into a basket case that I'm not sure is worth fixing. I've had people give me carbs and an engine (which sat for a while in the rain, and was slightly rusted together, but I believe could be rebuilt). Replacing a frame is a lot of work...
And finally, buying a project someone else has given up on, if you do think you can complete it, make sure you know, for sure, how to title it. If it was as easy as most of them will tell you it is, they would have done it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom