New Interior Tire Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even if your tire is muddy, carry a tarp to put around it to get you back home. I know we hate mud but better than lying in the mud to get a tire out from underneath.

I've been thinking about how some don't like the interior carrier because they don't want to throw the dirty/muddy flat tire back into the LC, and that is a good point. But (and I will probably end up doing this as well)... why not just re-install the OEM tirecarrier under the truck? Seal /Zip tie up the chains and mechanism (or keep it well oiled), and I'd think you could throw a "flat" tire on a rim under there without a problem (or at least slap a rachet strap around that to compress it). ...

That would work for some, but my spare (37") isn't going to fit and have a Luke bumper, so no more spare carrier cross member. :hillbilly:

I don't know how you guys can fit a tire inside. Even when I got out by myself, the truck is always full of boxes, a fridge and yet more junk...
I am not that fond of having to swing the tire out each time I need to access the back admittedly, but I can't see putting a tire in.

I don't know how you guys can fit a tire inside. Even when I got out by myself, the truck is always full of boxes, a fridge and yet more junk...
I am not that fond of having to swing the tire out each time I need to access the back admittedly, but I can't see putting a tire in.

You can fit a lot of stuff in the back of an 80 if you properly pack it.

Tire and all. :grinpimp:

Heck, I fit 4 37's and a 35 back there no problem....

attachment.php

I have been thinking about this as well. I have since been storing my spare upright in the cargo area with ratchet straps and the 3rd row seat bracket similar to alot of other folks. It is actually kind of a pain to get right and I would like a more solid solution. I have always wanted to do a homemade carrier and had planned on using the 3rd row seat bracket as ebag did above. My solution looks like this: Drawn in paint since I don't have AC on my laptop. The black is the existing bracket and the tire, while the gray is the added tube and plate. No holes cut, no other support other than the 3rd row bracket.

Here's one I made and used when I had 35's. Very similar in design to yours. Used all existing mounting points.
DSCN4665.jpg
DSCN4667.jpg
DSCN4599.jpg

VCCruzr said:
Here's one I made and used when I had 35's. Very similar in design to yours. Used all existing mounting points.

image-3991575853.jpg

Hey Derrick, I think I have your old spare mount. I always liked your design, and was going to try & duplicate it, so I lucked out when it came up forsale (again). Great design, I made 1 change & added a gusset just in front of the tube at the floor plate.

Chris
image-1711705236.jpg
image-3991575853.jpg

That is nice. We are on the same wavelength but you found a way to make it much cleaner than mine would have been. Well done. An interior carrier will definitely be on my project list over the winter. Lots of great ideas here.

View attachment 568756

Hey Derrick, I think I have your old spare mount. I always liked your design, and was going to try & duplicate it, so I lucked out when it came up forsale (again). Great design, I made 1 change & added a gusset just in front of the tube at the floor plate.

Chris

Chris,
I am glad you pick it up. I noticed that Cruiseruf had placed it in the classified section when he moved up to 37s. This is not my design BTW. Someone on here posted a magazine article called "The Comfy Cruiser" which had the idea. I liked it and just copied.

That is nice. We are on the same wavelength but you found a way to make it much cleaner than mine would have been. Well done. An interior carrier will definitely be on my project list over the winter. Lots of great ideas here.

When I saw your sketch I figured I'd show pics of mine. Hope it helps and like you said, lots of great ideas on here.

I got it finished, listened to the feedback and adapted some of it.

Yes, it will fit a 37, its adjustable 3" to fit 37-31's, allowing the tire to rest on the floor. One bolt mounts wheel to mount, making to its easier to mount & remove it from the vehicle without having to adjust the interior cargo.

I need to clean it up a bit before posting close-ups but here is the general idea of how it changed from Joe's prototype...
file-10.jpg

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-11.jpg

file-7.jpg

I like this concept. If one were to go to market, it would seem like having an adjustable height arm so that a 33 or 37 or whatever size could both sit on the floor. Less stress on parts.

Like the new design, the adjustability looks like it should be rattle free
Nice work

Thanks for the feedback. I'll deliver one for use this weekend, for an off-road trip. I'll ask the user to share his feedback after the trip...

Thought I would chime in a bit here since he was talking about me. I've been out twice in the last couple weeks with this installed. The first time out I didn't have an allen wrench when I took delivery of the tire carrier so I could not install all 5 bolts. I was only able to secure it with 3. With that said, we took it on a pretty solid ride and pitched the truck pretty hard on different angles and climbs and the carrier performed flawlessly with no movement. Went out again this past weekend with it fully installed and yet again it was incredible. We were at Uwharrie national forest going up Daniel and Kodak loaded with gear since we were camping all weekend. (feel free to youtube it if you are not familiar with the area). The two minor issues that I had with the carrier have already been corrected for the production version. FWIW, one was the angle of the plate that the tire secures to and the other was the piece that actually secures the tire to the carrier. the one I had was designed with tabs to fit an OEM 80 series wheel. I run steelies so it required minor modification. Again, I want to stress that the issues I had were extremely minor and nitpicking for the sake of making it perfect.

Bottom line is this.....If you run oversized tires and do not have a swingout on your bumper this is an amazing option for tires from 31-37 in. It is super solid and can adjust to put the bottom of the tire on the floor of the truck. It is very well built and a lot of attention to detail went into the welds and design. I am absolutely thrilled with the tire carrier and the what it allows me to do. If you guys and gals have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask. Enjoy

E :flipoff2:

Thanks again for the feedback Eric.

Yes, this was the second "working prototype" where I opened the angle in to ensure I had enough room to fit a 37" tire/wheel combo. I opened the angle too much but that is what prototyping is for me, a bit of trial and error.

I now have the spacing right and have enough adjustment (3"), keeping the 90 degree angle as it should be (for those with an eye for symmetry). Here are some pics of one going out this week and what the rest will look like, in the square tube version....
file-36.jpg

file-37.jpg

file-38.jpg

file-39.jpg

file-31.jpg

file-28.jpg

great design and nice work, as I look at it , I wonder if the tube could be shortened / angled and welded to the bottom of a "platform"that bolts to top of the wheel well. this could provide a deck to mount a compressor/ tank/ toolbox/ extinguisher / basket....if this sounds like a good idea, please make me one. before I patent it.

Not sure I understand, yet, I did make it such that a Powertank and/or fire estinquisher can be mounted to it. Simply drilling/tapping the 1/4" wall tubing allows such flexibility to pick and choose where one wants to mount such items...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom