New 72 FJ40-baseline questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 72 FJ40 with a 2F, front disk brakes, and few other mods (gear reduction starter, etc). Overall, it's in great shape, but I do have a few questions-

- The PO initially thought about installing PS and included the parts off a 60 series. Any comment on the difference in driveability with PS vs. without? I assume that it makes a big difference wheeling. How many banana job is the upgrade?

- The steering has quite a bit of slop in it (1-2" in both directions). Can I tighten down that castle nut on top of the gear box to take this out. I don't see any leaking from the sector shaft.

- It has a 3 speed. Getting it into 1st and R is sometimes challenging.....assuming due to no synchro like in newer transmissons. I had a 85 FJ60 and didn't have any issues shifting. I've read that 3rd and 4th gear are the same (1:1). Any feedback on whether or not to upgrade to a 4 speed? Is there fab work to change them them out or is it relatively straightforward?

-finally, after driving a bit, it idles high. I can tap the pedal and the idle will come back down. Is there any way to adjust this on the carb?

As I'm new to 40s, please don't blast me asking stupid questions. Thanks.

hiya, I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can...

1. most people seem to like the PS & the 60 series conversion appears to be one that is well touted. I did the mini truck one on my 40 & it does well. The 60 ps upgrade takes some welding to mount the bracket that holds the ps gearbox so it does require some fab skills. I'd say three to four bananas depending on your skill level.

2. I'd check the other suspension components as well. sometimes the tie rod ends cause the slop. If you can get a fsm, there's some info in there that shows how to tighten the steering box up. I think you may need a shim in the old box, so I'm not sure if tightening the adjusting bolt would work.

3. the old three speed has an unsynchonized 1st gear so you have to stop to get it in. I don't have a problem with it as 2nd works well enough for me. There're some threads about switching to a four speed. You may need a different bellhousing, clutch, & 4 speed transfer case as well as drive shaft flanges along with the 4 speed.

4. On your carb, I would check the fuel cable to see if it is kinked up or needs to be oiled. Also there may be a spring that helps the idle linkage snap back to it's base setting. The spring on my carb broke and it idled high until i fixed it.

good luck & welcome to the forum.
ty
:beer:

Thanks for the info. Any other opinions? Here she is by the way. If I can keep the rust off her, it will be a miracle. Jeff

image.jpg

image.jpg

I knew it was coming....fsm. I have my 80 series and 60 series manuals but don't have a 40 series yet.

I recently bought a 72 FJ40 with a 2F, front disk brakes, and few other mods (gear reduction starter, etc). Overall, it's in great shape, but I do have a few questions-

- The PO initially thought about installing PS and included the parts off a 60 series. Any comment on the difference in driveability with PS vs. without? I assume that it makes a big difference wheeling. How many banana job is the upgrade?

- The steering has quite a bit of slop in it (1-2" in both directions). Can I tighten down that castle nut on top of the gear box to take this out. I don't see any leaking from the sector shaft.

- It has a 3 speed. Getting it into 1st and R is sometimes challenging.....assuming due to no synchro like in newer transmissons. I had a 85 FJ60 and didn't have any issues shifting. I've read that 3rd and 4th gear are the same (1:1). Any feedback on whether or not to upgrade to a 4 speed? Is there fab work to change them them out or is it relatively straightforward?

-finally, after driving a bit, it idles high. I can tap the pedal and the idle will come back down. Is there any way to adjust this on the carb?

As I'm new to 40s, please don't blast me asking stupid questions. Thanks.

I wheeled my '72 with manual steering for 10 years, including 10 trips to Moab on trails rated up to 4.5 - as long as you are moving, wheeling a manual isn't all that bad - it's the mall parking lot where you curse it - that said, I got power steering last year and like it - and there's good info on MUD about the 60 series power steering in a 40

one inch either direction is normal slop with the manual set-up, even 2 inches - I would start to worry when it's a quarter of the steering wheel

a 4spd will require hacking the transmission tunnel cover

as far as carb adjustments: how about downloading a factory service manual ? https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-50-60-and-80-series-fsm-for-a-hell-of-a-price.610994/

Last edited:
Last edited:
It took me awhile to figure out the gear shifting as everything I'd have previous was synchro. My father in law who has lots of experience with older cars helped me figure out how to shift properly. Be at a stop to shift to first. If in neutral, hold the clutch in for a couple seconds then shift into 1st or reverse. You'll find the sweet spot that makes the cruiser happy. The only other downside I can tell with the 3 speed...is speed! You ain't going very fast, but thats the point in a cruiser.

My steering with all new components and rebuilt manual steering box still has about an inch of play. Yours sounds normal to me.

Enjoy your FJ40!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom