Need help from the experts help me decide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The blue one speaks to me... However... Don't know if the back is steel or bondo'd ... Would be better if the undercarriage looked better... At least they didn't try to do a cover up down there

The eBay one has what looks to be an aluminum 3/4 tub... Don't know if that bothers you

All have little things

Are you going to look at any of these in person ?

I would ... IMHO

I was interested in the first FJ link also and couldn't getting any info out of the seller about the truck....just attitude.

I still liked the truck so I reached out to someone I know in the car business in Grand Rapids planning to pay him to check it out. He didn't have anything positive to report about that place so I dropped it from consideration.

I was interested in the first FJ link also and couldn't getting any info out of the seller about the truck....just attitude.

I still liked the truck so I reached out to someone I know in the car business in Grand Rapids planning to pay him to check it out. He didn't have anything positive to report about that place so I dropped it from consideration.[/QUOTE
An attitude from a person trying to sell a vehicle is not a good sign to start with. I would have hung up unless the price was too good not to have someone look at it. Even then I would have been very suspicious.

If I had the money I'd be calling @447xpro about this one:

For Sale: - 1982 FJ40

There is a clean looking '69 with a V8 on the Austin/San Antonio Craigslist that has sat around for a while. I haven't seen it pop up on MUD, to the best of my knowledge. The owner was asking ~$25k and dropped to $19,500 a week or two ago. If you are not committed to a later rig and don't mind the Chevy, it looks pretty clean to me. I am in Austin and am relatively new to the 40 scene; I'm sure that many MUDders here have better opinions than mine and can chime on what they see.

Toyota FJ40 1969

The blue one you can see rust bubbles on the drivers side fender that were painted over. I'm sure the rear was "repaired" in some fashion.

I would not buy any one of them without taking a magnet to them to see the extent of bondo. For over 20K, there better not be any major rust repair.

I would try to get more info on the 79, but from the info and pics its hard to say much. But 79+ do drive a bit better

the blue 77, it was pretty up'd to sell, so my worry is what they skipped in the process of making $$$. If the body work is good, then it will need some mechanical work, lots of leaks, seals, and stuff need attention to make it a good driver, but thats often the case.

personally......for $25K, I would be looking for a clean survivor(even with some patina/love) not a resto(or an attempt). 25K can buy a lot of Cruiser or if spent wrong a lot of misery

I thought the blue one was too high of an ask with the condition of the suspension, leaks, and perished rubber door seals. I've seen better advertised for less. During the brief conversation I had with the dealer - they don't sound willing to negotiate much.

If you're paying that kind of money, you want original. I'd avoid the v8 recommended above.

for 26k i would expect new emblems, not poorly painted ones (toyota). i would also expect not to have spend time or money replacing any seals.
that 77 has a rear pinion seal going, i would be surprised if it's not the pinion bearing it's self. the steering knuckles both need overhauled. and it looks like at least the oil pan gasket needs replaced. and last but not least i would expect the former air pump port in the air cleaner housing to be blocked off.

for 26k i would expect new emblems, not poorly painted ones (toyota). i would also expect not to have spend time or money replacing any seals.
that 77 has a rear pinion seal going, i would be surprised if it's not the pinion bearing it's self. the steering knuckles both need overhauled. and it looks like at least the oil gasket needs replaced. and last but not least i would expect the former air pump port in the air cleaner housing to be blocked off.
For short money you can buy all new emblems and put them in in a half hour. That wouldn't be a show stopper.
Other items, I agree. Those can add up.

The blue one you can see rust bubbles on the drivers side fender that were painted over. I'm sure the rear was "repaired" in some fashion.

I would not buy any one of them without taking a magnet to them to see the extent of bondo. For over 20K, there better not be any major rust repair.
The rear wheel wells also show serious signs of bondo--esp where the support brackets are-may not be a stopper if new metal were installed-
Also some serious leaks - I think the knuckles are gone- the brakes may be compromised given the telltale gunk on the inner wheels--otherwise- a good looking rig--.

Last edited:
I would try to get more info on the 79, but from the info and pics its hard to say much. But 79+ do drive a bit better

the blue 77, it was pretty up'd to sell, so my worry is what they skipped in the process of making $$$. If the body work is good, then it will need some mechanical work, lots of leaks, seals, and stuff need attention to make it a good driver, but thats often the case.

personally......for $25K, I would be looking for a clean survivor(even with some patina/love) not a resto(or an attempt). 25K can buy a lot of Cruiser or if spent wrong a lot of misery

This is solid advice. I have owned a bunch of 40s over the years and original paint with patina can't hide junk. There are good restorations out there but documenting the actual work is critical. You do NOT want to end up with a "nice" paint job and a bunch of bond smashed into rust holes.

If your not familiar with the 40 series would find somebody who is before I would play big bucks for one with a fancy new paint job. Some before/during/after pictures would be a must. Good detail pictures of the before will give a good idea of what they started with and what you want to go over with a fine tooth comb. Bondo/aluminum/V8s are a deal killer on sometime you pay this much and very could continue to go up in value. Why pay for non stock upgrade,changes that would help the value down the line. You want a V8s there are plenty of cheaper options for a V8 that would cost a a less.

This is solid advice. I have owned a bunch of 40s over the years and original paint with patina can't hide junk. There are good restorations out there but documenting the actual work is critical. You do NOT want to end up with a "nice" paint job and a bunch of bond smashed into rust holes.

Especially when you are spending 25K!

Thanks guys, solid advise. Would love someone in Florida to check out that yellow one. Btw how can someone tell from pics if it has an aluminum tub?? Tough search not a lot local!

I'd definitely check out the mustard a little further. Need more pictures from him but looks to still have the original floor mat, seats, door skins. Has a small lift and an appropriate front bumper and winch which tells me he knows what he's doing on some level.

They can tell the one does not have an original tub because of the angles on the hump for the floor shift. It should be rounded not angled like that. I would have no problem with an aluminum tub, but at that price I agree with others, you want an original body other wise no chance of it holding its value. If the outside has super nice shiny paint and the frame and undercarriage has rust and original paint I would stay away at that price. If they cut that many corners to get it shiny and on the market, who knows the quality of the paint job and 6 months from now you could have rust bubbles under that nice shiny paint. Always look for if they cut corners and then assume they did the same on all of it and pay accordingly, you want to be happy with your purchase a year from now.

I like the $1,000 rust buckets and then I do a mediocre job at best of refreshing them. Never have any regrets with that price range for me. Of course years later neither of mine or on the road, life gets in the way, but I still smile ear to ear every time I go tinker with them, and that is the feeling you want in the end, joy of ownership. Good luck in finding that right one, if you get it you want regret it. If I was closer to that one in Fl I would go look at it, but that is far from me.

Only the 79 is an honest truck. The Blue one is pretty but if it were truly an original 77 in that condition with 24,000 original miles it would be selling
for twice that much. I hate starting a business deal with a lie.
The brown one, like someone said, is at least partly an aluminum tub. If you're wanting this for yourself , not an investment, either would save you the hassle of a nice paint job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom