Builds My 78' Barn find FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good mate

Thanks Mate! I also added a new badge to my rig.

TEQ 1.jpg
TEQ 2.jpg

I had a productive Saturday. The 2H is sitting in the frame with little to no trouble on the install. Now to get everything hooked up. I'm still waiting for my second 3:70 gear set to be delivered so I can have my drive shafts modified. I already have the radiator I need. I had to order a fan for it. I thought I had a spare one that would fit it but apparently the 2H is unique!!

2H on the hook.jpg Ready for the 2H.jpg 2H installed.jpg

Sweet! Nice progress. I'm jealous. I like the S2K peeking in on the second pic too. I had an '05 for a while. It was awesome. Sold it 5+ years ago and I still miss it.

Thanks Yellow Jacket! I enjoy my 04' very much.

Brewster I acquired a set of HJ45 front motor mounts for the block and bolted it right in. No frame mount change was necessary. These motors came stock in these trucks so it is not a problem. I could have chased down the correct transmission mount, but I already had an 87' FJ60 transmission mount that worked very well.

Well my progress has slowed now that I'm waiting on another radiator. The first one touched the fan, so back to the vendor for mods. I figured out how to operate my fuel shut off manually. I used the original 2F accelerator actuator with a home made bracket/plate and the original EDIC reach rod. Now all I need is an 80' - 82' FJ60 choke cable and I should be good to go. The transmission tunnel is modified and in place. I still need the transmission boot. The wrong one was sent when I purchased the FJ60 trans access cover. So now we wait.

Shut off 1.jpg Shut off 2.jpg Shut off 3.jpg

Well the wait is over. I was able to drive it tonight at 5:00 (aka sun down). I received the modified radiator the Saturday after Thanksgiving and installed it immediately. It fit fine! Then I wired the solenoid according to Rudi's instructions (they work perfectly thanks again Rudi). We cranked it that Sunday night. A couple of things had to be addressed. First the throttle butterfly had been hit hard enough in shipping to push it past the stop. This went unnoticed until it cranked where it immediately went to full throttle!! That was scary. Fortunately I was standing with in an arms reach of the shut off valve, so it didn't run long. After fixing this we started it and heard a bumping noise coming from the bottom end. I had noticed the oil pan had some damage from scrap yard handling so I wasn't surprised that the crank was banging the oil pan. I ordered and installed an oil pan, from our friends in Canada (Extreme Bends). They also supplied me with a vacuum canister from an HJ60. After installing the oil pan it was time to re-install the front clip. After that I installed the snorkel I had ordered while waiting for the radiator. Then I had to build a bracket to hold the Donaldson air breather I purchased from my local CAT dealer. (Oh and while I was waiting for the radiator I rebuilt my instrument cluster. I bought a decal kit from Whitegauges.com to change my speedo from KPH to MPH. They also had needle paint and LED bulbs.) I installed the vacuum canister. So then it was ready for it's maiden voyage on diesel power! It drives very nicely! The 5 speed that came with it shifts smoothly. Overall I'm pleased with the 2H.

Air breather 1.jpg Air breather 3.jpg Cluster before.jpg Instrument Cluster.jpeg

Nice... Good work, it really seems like the transplant I am doing right now :) Plz keep us updated with a lot of pictures from the engine transplant etc.

Gauge cluster looks real nice. Any problems applying it, were there any instructions? Is it a water decal or pre-gummed vinyl?

Since their website only show a white face, not black like yours, how do you order black background?

Thx.

Thanks for all of the compliments. The gauge set in black is a "special order" that they keep on the shelf. There is a $30.00 up charge for black. It is a pre-gummed vinyl decal with a soap that slides it into place. The first decal was off on the turn signal indicators and the screw head placement on the speedo. But they sent another set right away for free that fit much better. They send multiples of all of the decals. They do supply good instructions. It was easy compared to getting the bezel off for sandblasting.

Jesper that is quite a compliment from you! I have been following your build for sometime now and you my friend do amazing work!!! I didn't take many pictures of the install because it was basically just buy the correct motor mounts and install the unit as from the factory. The only real modifications were the edic delete and the home made glow system, plus the installation of the Donaldson air breather. Right now I'm making all modifications to the truck ie.. the 2H transplant w/5speed, 3:70 gears, disk brakes w/Aisin hubs, A/C, and PS. Then after all of major cutting drilling and grinding are fitted together and done I will take it all apart for the body restoration. I have a built a few other vehicles and I hate cutting and drilling new paint. Mostly because I inevitably scratch it or other wise make a mess of it!

For all of my down under friends you may want to take a good look at the truck as it came from South Australia according to the license plate and stickers I found in it at purchase. Thanks Mate to whom ever sold it to the states! I am really enjoying my 45!!!!

Jesper that is quite a compliment from you! I have been following your build for sometime now and you my friend do amazing work!!! I didn't take many pictures of the install because it was basically just buy the correct motor mounts and install the unit as from the factory. The only real modifications were the edic delete and the home made glow system, plus the installation of the Donaldson air breather. Right now I'm making all modifications to the truck ie.. the 2H transplant w/5speed, 3:70 gears, disk brakes w/Aisin hubs, A/C, and PS. Then after all of major cutting drilling and grinding are fitted together and done I will take it all apart for the body restoration. I have a built a few other vehicles and I hate cutting and drilling new paint. Mostly because I inevitably scratch it or other wise make a mess of it!

Thanks :) I see we are hunting the same thing here a reliable and drivable truck with the greatest expression ever... I have no idea how to source HJ47 motor brackets here in Denmark, but I guess it makes is a little easier - not much.

How did you mount the tranny brackets?

I have some BJ42 brackets that will fit - but I have to premount the tranny and brackets - drill holes in the frame and job done.

I am looking forward drive the truck with disc brakes, power steering and the 2H engine- must be a lot better!!!

Jesper,
I sourced my front motor mounts from SOR's used parts department "Wrecker Ray". They even had the motor mount with the power steering bracket! They weren't cheap but they made the job a lot easier. As for the transmission bracket, I had an 87' FJ60 transmission cross member that I bolted to the transmission (with the entire drive train put together and front motor mounts bolted in place) then I marked the ends where they extended past the frame and cut them off after removing it from the transmission. Then I re-installed the cross member, drilled and bolted it to the frame. You could also source a late model FJ40 transmission bracket which would be a stock application that would look factory. The BJ42 brackets may be the same as the 40 but I'm not sure. If you want to post a picture of those brackets I might be able to tell you if they are the same. I do enjoy the disk brakes and I'm looking forward to power steering. I need to source a power steering gear box for a RHD truck. Very difficult here in the US. Although I'm trying to decide weather or not to covert it to LHD. Much to be considered there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom