MOBY DICK gets a turn ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some rather painstaking progress......
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG
Done with the fabwork until after the trip. Going to make one slight modification to the can carrier, also need to cut and re weld one of the struts for the tire carrier. It has been causing some alignment issues with the long arm. The heat from the welder is causing it to pull upward. Its not very noticeable once the tire is on but I'm not completely satisfied with it. It will certainly work for the next week or two.

IMG_0932.JPG

Still not done with the rear bumper. I need to add some sort of stop for the arms so they don't swing more than about 100*. Both my spindles are cut for a stop but I haven't found a solution that is pleasing to the eye. I also thought about using a limiting cable by installing a rivnut into the arm, then one on the bumper shell. This would allow me to use some steel cable cut to whatever length I wanted then affixed through an eyelet with a bolt. Pros - cheap and super easy to do, also would allow me to increase or decrease angles in the future. Con's - not sure how it would look.

What did you guys do for your stops ?

the loose limiting cable would bother me. I like the stops that 4x4 labs does with the weld on stop, but I would change mine to Stainless steel next time as it rubs off the paint and starts rusting.

Another alternatives would be the spring loaded pin that Slee does. Again, stainless half moon to eliminate the rust ring.

The 4x4 labs stops are just a small rectangular piece of steel, abut 2 inches long, 1/2 in tall, and maybe an inch wide, that weld flat on the bumper, with the straight edge lined up to where you want the flat edge of the spindle to land. I'll look for a picture, or snap one of mine when I get my truck back from the alignment shop.

You can see the edge of the little rectangle stop on this pic. It sits at an angle so the spindle edge hits it flat. Then the gas strut holds the swing arm open.

upload_2016-6-16_13-23-20.png

what you going to put in the radio slot on the tuffy box?

AND.... after you put the covers on your WRX seats, do you find the seat is different feeling? I ask because the seats I put in FOO are not at all like I thought they would be and I am wondering if the covers are partially to blame.

Last edited:
Do the rear seats fold down? Looks like you mounted it a little farther forward than mine.

what you going to put in the radio slot on the tuffy box?

AND.... after you put the covers on your WRX seats, do you find the seat is different feeling? I ask because the seats I put in FOO are not at all like I thought they would be and I am wondering if the covers are partially to blame.

I had planned to put a 2m in there but I'm not sure if it will get too hot. Or if I can find a good deal on a unit that has disconnect face plate then I can mount the face in there. As far as feel maybe, they are a bit softer without the covers on. I think the cover stretches and you sort of sit on it like a hammock.

@half k cruiser how bad was the center console install? Do you have any more pics? Looks awesome!! thanks!

Its not bad, maybe an afternoons worth of dicking about with the welder and angle grinder. I was able to flip one of the brackets that came with it and add some feet off the bottom to get everything level where I wanted it. It essentially uses the old mounting base for the OEM console with a bracket extended down off of the bottom of the box and bolted into this. I also used an existing floor stud to secure the rear so it has no back and forth movement. I may take some more pics later as I begin installing my electronics in there.

Do the rear seats fold down? Looks like you mounted it a little farther forward than mine.

Yes they will fold all the way forward. I was able to tuck the whole thing forward without blocking any of the console controls and still retained the cup holders. The trick is the cup holders need to be mounted further up the front face of the box. I just clamped them where I wanted and spotted them in place.

Its not bad, maybe an afternoons worth of dicking about with the welder and angle grinder. I was able to flip one of the brackets that came with it and add some feet off the bottom to get everything level where I wanted it. It essentially uses the old mounting base for the OEM console with a bracket extended down off of the bottom of the box and bolted into this. I also used an existing floor stud to secure the rear so it has no back and forth movement. I may take some more pics later as I begin installing my electronics in there.

That is exactly what I did with flipping the bracket; however, I would add another 1" higher next time. Now that I say that, My Porsche seat is a little higher though, so yours may be perfect. I recovered the Tuffy top adding another 3/4 foam and using matching leather that was softer.

Other random thoughts..... I would also mount a inverter under the box next time.

I agree with the heat buildup of a HAM radio in the Tuffy. I read someone's thread that added cooling fans and vents, that could deal with that.

Console looks nice, especially since you painted it to match.

Go ahead and put the 2M in the console. If you get the big Yaesu like mine, your coffee will stay nice and hot in the cup holders!

Console looks nice, especially since you painted it to match.

Go ahead and put the 2M in the console. If you get the big Yaesu like mine, your coffee will stay nice and hot in the cup holders!

I was looking at the 2900r, looks solid, but I don't want to burn it up.

I've been receiving more boxes from Amazon then I can keep up with.........
IMG_1427.JPG
New 6.5's for all four doors to go with the new HU.....
IMG_1434.JPG
Paint to match grills.....
IMG_1438.JPG
Amazing how much difference $60 in speakers makes. Its not quite up to par with the GS400 but it does sound nice.

Made friends with the guys from Down South MotorSports ....
IMG_1451.JPG
Needed some power in the center console so I ran 4awg from the house battery to the console and wired it to a 100amp Blue Sea fuse box. This will run the inverter and 2m radio....
IMG_1444.JPG
Then I took some time to get those stubborn bell cranks back in operation. Too bad my e-brake still isn't working. Going to have to make a few more adjustments.......
IMG_1448.JPG

E-brake working !!! Got in touch with @orangefj45 and he shipped me out a pair of dog bones with a shorter notch in them. Installed those, then worked my way through the FSM adjustment procedure. Now I have a hand brake that will actually stop the vehicle and hold it.

Last edited:
Todays boxes arrived and here are the projects. Upgrading my trail comms to a Kenwood T-281A running a Laird 1/4 wave antenna on the rooftop NMO. I may finally have found a solution for the pesky snorkel to air cleaner connection. Lastly a new intake tube from @SUMMIT CRUISERS .
IMG_1497.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom