M416 Trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jeremy, I was looking at my springs and axle last night. In spring over configuration it gives about 6" of lift over spring under. Top of spring eyes to top of axle is 9" and 3", over and under respectively.

I'm not sure I want to go with 6" of lift, so we'll have to see how bad the rubbage is on my trailer.

Is there an easy way to cross reference shocks by length? The ones I have are just off of a CJ, would Napa be able to look up shocks by length, or do they need a vehicle make/model?

-Ryan

Great Build... Just wondering if you have or could make a vid of how you get the RTT back down to traveling height.

Cheers

Splittilps said:
Great Build... Just wondering if you have or could make a vid of how you get the RTT back down to traveling height.

Cheers

I don't have one. If I remember later I'll throw one together. I just set it up for the Overland Rally in Asheville, NC, should be a great spot to shoot.

Thanks for the compliments. Going down isn't the easiest. For example, if it's just me, I need to use cam straps on either end to get it down, think see-saw. If I have 2 people it's pretty easy, just opposite corners and pull down after the tent has been flipped closed, more centralized weight.

www.ExpeditionOps.com

I have a problem... My tires rub the inside of the fender with the 285/75's. I need more room between the fenders and the tire, but if I lift the trailer anymore I won't be able to swing open my 4x4labs bumper tire and gas can carriers unless the trailer is dead inline with the truck.

It looks like I'll have to cut the sliders off, over the wheels, and reposition the fenders all together.

I like the height the trailer is at as it sits, so that's ok with me. I just don't want to hack all that frame work... But I don't see any other options.

Any suggestions?

www.ExpeditionOps.com

Wheel spacers.

I had the same problem with my BJ 74 . While articulating the back tires would rub .

prado t said:
Wheel spacers.

I had the same problem with my BJ 74 . While articulating the back tires would rub .

This might explain it better. Too little space...
image-3391711186.jpg
image-2220195984.jpg

Now I see.

Doesn't seem to be any easy solution...but how about lengthen the front and rear fender sections to allow more room...looks likes there's plenty of room over the tire, just the clearence front and back
WM1.jpg

Doesn't seem to be any easy solution...but how about lengthen the front and rear fender sections to allow more room...looks likes there's plenty of room over the tire, just the clearence front and back

Thats what I was thinking too, Pat. Just don't want to take a saw to the tube work. Photogod is gonna kill me if I ruin all his nice cutting!

If you dont want your partner to hurt you , I would put a smaller tire on.

Well I am off for a 2 week "Expo " up to the Chilcotin, Towing the MBT . Leaving tommorrow in the early AM.

Hopefully you will come up with a solution by the time I get back.

prado t said:
If you dont want your partner to hurt you , I would put a smaller tire on.

Well I am off for a 2 week "Expo " up to the Chilcotin, Towing the MBT . Leaving tommorrow in the early AM.

Hopefully you will come up with a solution by the time I get back.

Be safe and have a blast!

Any reason why you can't cut the top of the fenders, add a few inches there and take out a little of the sliders on the ends?
Will be almost the same amount of work and your angles can stay the same.
The only down side is you loose some length in the sliders, but gain in the top of the fender for counter top.

Curt

Last edited:
Any reason why you can't cut the top of the fenders, add a few inches there and take out a little of the sliders on the ends?
Will be almost the same amount of work and your angles can stay the same.
The only down side is you loose some length in the sliders, but gain in the top of the fender for counter top.

Curt

Curt,

I'm kind of following you on this. I will cut out the angled pieces and move them to the fore and aft to allow the tire to stuff more. I think we are on the same track.

The height of the fender, as Pat pointed out, doesn't really need to change just the angle of the fenders front and rear. If not the angle of the fenders then the distance of the top edge of the "trapezoid".

Mcmaster-Carr Part numbers and descriptions.
9416K542 2 Each Gas Spring With Threaded Ends, 29.33" Extended Length, 13.77" Stroke, 50 Force
9416K127 4 Each Gas Spring With Threaded Ends, 60 Force, 22.36" Extended Length, 9.84" Stroke
9416K543 2 Each Gas Spring With Threaded Ends, 29.33" Extended Length, 13.77" Stroke, 75 Force

I haven't made any progress on the trailer, due to the broken collarbone... nothing worse than sitting in the shop and not being able to work!

Mcmaster-Carr Part numbers and descriptions.
9416K542 2 Each Gas Spring With Threaded Ends, 29.33" Extended Length, 13.77" Stroke, 50 Force
9416K127 4 Each Gas Spring With Threaded Ends, 60 Force, 22.36" Extended Length, 9.84" Stroke
9416K543 2 Each Gas Spring With Threaded Ends, 29.33" Extended Length, 13.77" Stroke, 75 Force

I haven't made any progress on the trailer, due to the broken collarbone... nothing worse than sitting in the shop and not being able to work!

Thanks! So you have two struts in each tube? Any plans for a lowering device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom