LX450 6BT/NV4500/Split Case Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can cut and plug it, you don't need it with the cummins...just make sure you seal it well. I would think a screw coated in JB would work well.

This line?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431289614.906830.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1431289673.660076.jpg

I don't see how air would get trapped
A possibility for the Toyota engine nonetheless. I think I'll just cap it.
I looked at 3 different Rams with Cummins engines and none have that extra hose.
Thanks for the reply and the pictures.

My 98 12v has a bypass just a couple inches long right around the thermostat

Max & CJ you're both right. I had a second look at my buddy's 96 Ram and he also has a bypass by the thermostat. 1st Gens do not have one, so I will keep my 1st Gen engine the same.
Thanks for the replies peeps, at least now we know what that line was for :)
Also, I guess air can get in when draining the Rad Fluid.....Doh!!

Got the Belt in . Measures 71 1/2"
(Got it from Lordco, all they needed to know was how many strands - cummins are 8 - and the length.....lucky these belts come in 1/2" increments)

image_18.jpg

Extended the Alternator wiring:

image_17.jpg

image_15.jpg

Swapped the H1C Turbo from my 93 Engine, with a HX35 from a 96.
Got a silicone hose for the Waste Gate line.
I've ordered a Boost Controller, so the plumbing on the elbow will be modified.

image_16.jpg

Got the Fan Shroud modified and fits nicely with about 1/2" clearance.

Riveted a couple of aluminum flat pieces, for mounting on the bottom and extension for mounting on one side. I'm pretty happy with it, wasn't hard at all!

image_20.jpg

image_22.jpg

Dustins Rad hoses didn't quite fit.
Not a big deal though, cut 1" off the top hose and about 2.5" off the lower hose.

image_21.jpg

The plumbing for the heating is all done and I'm really happy with it.
Turned out pretty clean.

image_19.jpg

Now I'm playing with the AC lines....they should be interesting to deal with :)

I was assuming I would have to run without a shroud, I am encouraged that you have been able to make the shroud work. I would like to see a little more details on the shroud mods and fitment.

I plan to run the mechanical cummins fan also...waiting to get my motor back from the diesel shop.

Absolutely.
I got the right belt for it and the shroud has been modified.
There's enough clearance/play to compensate for the jumping/jerking the 6bt does when it shuts off.

Can you get a wrench on all the pulleys with the fan in?

Here's the low down with the Fan & Fan shroud installations.

1) I did not use Dustins Fan Hub. I did not have a fan with my engine so I bought the complete assembly (I think it came off a 94). I'll try to find the picture I took comparing Dustins Hub and the OEM Hub I used.

2) I mounted it to the engine and dry fitted the shroud. The shroud barely fit, the fan was the exact same size as the shroud opening. Also upright it wasn't even close to lining up, because the fan sits more towards the driver side.

3) I then mounted the radiator to assist lining up the shroud. I flipped the shroud upside down and it was perfectly lined up!
The only issues was the fact that the opening was the same size as the fan.
Made a mark on the shroud of the radiator air pocket relief inlet? And drilled a hole for the shroud to slide over it.

image_25.jpg

EDIT: forgot to mention that I ended up using JB Weld and a screw to plug that fitting on the top of the fan shroud (air pocket relief inlet?)

4) marked 1" to be cut along the sides of the shroud. Made the cuts and dry fitted again. To clear the top, I lifted the shroud and to clear the bottom I trimmed about 1/2" from Back to Front of shroud.
I kept playing with it, trimming a little here and there until I was happy with it.

5) on the driver side, there was enough of a lip to drill a hole and use a bolt to secure the side.

6) on the passenger side I had to rivet (actually my buddy showed me how to use the rivet gun, bought the gun for $25) a flat piece of aluminum to extend the shroud so I could drill a hole and secure it.

image_23.jpg

***note how much room there is to get anything off (tensioner, fan, idler, harmonic balancer).

7) to secure the bottom passenger side I used a flat piece of aluminum to replace plastic bracket. I had to use a nut as a spacer on the right side for the rivet to work properly.

image_20.jpg

8) the driver side required an angle piece to essentially to the same thing as the passenger side.

image_22.jpg

I hope that makes sense.
If it doesn't feel free to ask me questions.

It looks like you have a tad bit more room than I do. What is the measurement from your rad crimp to front of AC pulley? Keep up the good work.

Pretty cool that when you flip the shroud over it fits fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom