LX450 6BT/NV4500/Split Case Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
My name is Julio and I live in Vancouver, BC CANADA.
I used to own a 2010 Nissan Xterra, I put a lot of time and money into that beast and loved it.
Unfortunately I rolled it, but fortunately no one was injured and now I am the happy owner of a Lexus LX450. I am very excited to start a new project on this soon to be Beast.

I bought my rig about 2 weeks ago for a great deal.
Interior is mint, Exterior needs some work/paint and undercarriage also needs some loving (rusty).
Can't post links yet, so I owe you pictures.

Took it wheeling last weekend to test the lockers and it rode amazing.
Im very happy with it. I think I may have gotten a couple of scratches on the side steps and front bumper. No big deal though, all that is getting replaced anyways.
Can't post links yet, so I owe you pictures.

About a week ago I bought a 6bt with 159k kms (out of a 93 Ram) and a NV4500 (out of a 96 ram).
I just started cleaning the engine and will be painting it flat black over the weekend.

I've read various threads regarding the Cummins swaps/conversions on the 80 series landcruisers.
I'm either blind or need to work on my search skills, because I could not find a good thread that documented all the steps for the swap.
My plan is to document everything that I do, which will include links to where I purchase all the various components for these conversions (engine and tranny I got from Craigslist) and what worked and what didn't.

To start I will be cleaning and painting the engine, clean the tranny, send the bellhousing and flywheel to get resurfaced, purchase a clutch, deal with the KDP, install a new timing case gasket, install EGT, replace rear engine seal, replace the drive belt, then assemble everything together to have it ready to swap in.

I plan to start removing the stock engine at the end of the month.

I know this is a huge undertaking and that it will require a bit of modification (I'm not planing on getting the kit from Diesel Adapters for the Engine) and I realize that there will be unforeseen issues and costs. All in all, I plan to take 2 months to finish this but I won't get frustrated if it takes 4.

If you have any questions/concerns/suggestions/comments they are all welcome.

Julio

Without dudes accessory bracket you'll have issues clearing the frame at the AC compressor. Or body lift 2". I would use 2nd gen motor mounts.

Sounds awesome. I'm currently doing a diesel motor and manual swap . This will eat up allot of time so plan for 4 months. Post some pictures when you have time. Good luck
And find a few good helpers and a solid engine lift with a leveller. That will be a heavy motor. Body lift for sure. Heavy springs will be needed as well. Good luck

Without dudes accessory bracket you'll have issues clearing the frame at the AC compressor. Or body lift 2". I would use 2nd gen motor mounts.

I should have been more specific, I do need parts of that kit i believe.
I've read a few posts of people not getting their stuff and that worries me.
I'd hate to have some thing like that put my build on hold.
that accessories kits though was made for a 4bt, the 6bt is a longer engine and may clear....not sure till I try it.
or did you try it and went with the kit yourself?
are you talking about the 2nd gen cummins or ram for the motor mounts?
thanks for the reply!

Sounds awesome. I'm currently doing a diesel motor and manual swap . This will eat up allot of time so plan for 4 months. Post some pictures when you have time. Good luck
And find a few good helpers and a solid engine lift with a leveller. That will be a heavy motor. Body lift for sure. Heavy springs will be needed as well. Good luck

good to hear, I will be hitting you up for some pointers then :)
since this is my 2nd post Ill be able to post pics after.
I have a good engine lift, no leveler though.
I'm getting a 4" Ironman complete competition kit, has the desired rated springs for this and some.
I am going to do whatever it takes to not do a bodylift, but if at the end of the day there's no way around it then I guess it is what it is.

6C62E469-531A-42D1-B598-3844D6B6704E.jpg

F761FC5E-661D-405A-B87E-6E7EAE681308.jpg

BEF79A30-0FE6-4BBA-B137-CB740B1AB7D3.jpg

and heres a couple showing that this lexus is no pavement queen......if the previous owner saw these pics, he would have a heart attack

983F9503-2BC3-421A-AF66-C9502287B299.jpg

005A1028-ED3E-487C-B083-43FA2C935F0A.jpg

6B9B0BCB-8573-4B6C-ABD6-A75277315CDF.jpg

I've been laying in bed this whole weekend, got some sort of bug I guess.
anyways, not much has happened to these yet.

5E54D3A7-9D67-4CC1-9ED7-03AD8CA56C00.jpg

FBEF014C-AAB2-45A1-8E4D-D2E5EBBF9D2C.jpg

PS: dont worry about the nylon slings, they're getting replaced with chains in the next day or two.

Is that an intercooled or non intercooled engine?

Go with motor mounts from a 2nd gen dodge cummins (p pump 12v)

I did not use a kit at all, everything is sourced or built by me. My build is a little different though...

For me a 2" body lift made tons of sense. Made it alot easier to fit the engine too

Edit:nvm I see now it's a 93, that is intercooled

It's a great combo. Check out Duisers.com or my thread for videos of my build. That may be the best bet to see what is involved. There is no off the shelve kit for the combo. You will need a 1" body lift. PM me and I can send you my parts list of what went into my build.

Is that an intercooled or non intercooled engine?

Go with motor mounts from a 2nd gen dodge cummins (p pump 12v)

I did not use a kit at all, everything is sourced or built by me. My build is a little different though...

For me a 2" body lift made tons of sense. Made it alot easier to fit the engine too

Edit:nvm I see now it's a 93, that is intercooled
thanks for the motor mounts info.
the 2" BL sounds temping, but im not a fan of it at all.
bumpers, sliders wont sit right and itll feel a bit tippy with the 4" lift and 37s in the not so distant future for me.

It's a great combo. Check out Duisers.com or my thread for videos of my build. That may be the best bet to see what is involved. There is no off the shelve kit for the combo. You will need a 1" body lift. PM me and I can send you my parts list of what went into my build.
I read every single post on your build thread and saw all the videos :)
why the 1" BL? is it for clearance of the tranny shifter?
PM coming your way.

Just my .02 if you're not going kit form, the motor mounts of the 2nd gen cummins are vastly superior, they bolt right up to the block too. I sold my old motor mounts on ebay for a decent price too which helped offset it.

A quick update.

I have taken care (actually the neighbour built a bracket for me) of the KDP and replaced the rear main seal.
Spent a good amount of time cleaning the 6bt and primed it yesterday.
I got the flywheel resurfaced and bought a clutch. Clutch will be installed and tranny mounted onto the 6bt by Friday.
Phtotobucket is not playing nice with me, so pictures will have to wait till I get home tonight.

I'm also picking up tomorrow:
Front aluminum bumper with winch provisions
Rear Kaymar bumper with tire carrier
Cruising off-road sliders
4" Ironman suspension lift kit

Quick question:
Has anyone been able to get away with using the NV4500 without the short shifter kit?

here's the KDP fix.....got a timing cover gasket kit to replace the old gaskets.

8E23BC45-C737-4BED-8BC4-BF03B8A815E5.jpg

2 coats of primer.....just did one more coat....tomorrow paint
im pretty happy with hows turn out so far

59887CE3-AFDC-45D3-81CD-CAE91FE9F2AF.jpg

6784BAC4-8293-4674-B0CE-C8140799F1A6.jpg

today I got the 4" Ironman Lift Kit.....man that kit is nothing short of beefy, can't wait to install it.
Paid for part of the 6bt Conversion Kit
(thought about it hard and in the end I rather pay for the kit, then save some money and try to figure things out on my own and potentially taking a lot longer to finish this conversion)

this is where I've gotten my stuff from so far:
Craigslist: engine, nv4500
Lordco: timing cover gasket kit, rear main seal kit, clutch
local vendor: lift, bumpers, sliders
Allmaras Machine: 6bt conversion kit

Still doing lots of reading for this conversion and trying to familiarize myself with landcruisers. Tons of reading going on.
Can't wait to get started this weekend :)

I like this build. I like that you do your homework. Looks good so far man! The NV4500 is a great choice too!

A quick update.

I have taken care (actually the neighbour built a bracket for me) of the KDP and replaced the rear main seal.
Spent a good amount of time cleaning the 6bt and primed it yesterday.
I got the flywheel resurfaced and bought a clutch. Clutch will be installed and tranny mounted onto the 6bt by Friday.
Phtotobucket is not playing nice with me, so pictures will have to wait till I get home tonight.

I'm also picking up tomorrow:
Front aluminum bumper with winch provisions
Rear Kaymar bumper with tire carrier
Cruising off-road sliders
4" Ironman suspension lift kit

Quick question:
Has anyone been able to get away with using the NV4500 without the short shifter kit?

Where were you able to pick up your rear bumper? I have one with just a tire carrier and would like to add a second swing out to it but cannot find a source.

Where were you able to pick up your rear bumper? I have one with just a tire carrier and would like to add a second swing out to it but cannot find a source.
I got it from a local guy that imports JDM 80 series, builds and sells them.
If i decide to get a Jerry can holder for it, I'll get it through the same guy as he gets better prices then I can.

UPDATE:
Unfortunately I haven't been able to start tearing into the Lexus, as I was not able to get in the garage as planed on the weekend.
It's all good though, as I've had more time to do some more reading/researching =^}

At least I got the engine/bell-housings and tranny painted, Clutch is installed and tranny is mounted to the engine.
I'm pretty happy with how the engine looks painted.

Also, I got the engine fired up.
I'm soo excited that it runs so smooth and fired up no problem and not smokey or loud.

A971688B-962E-4758-A592-F69727FF407B.jpg

Here she is just screaming to jump into its new home :)

Looks great! The more I see these conversion threads, the closer I get to pulling the trigger. If only my head gasket or something would fail to provide the momentum. Keep the details coming.

Looks great! The more I see these conversion threads, the closer I get to pulling the trigger. If only my head gasket or something would fail to provide the momentum. Keep the details coming.
Do it. If you let your engine fail before the conversion or you won't be able to sell it to help pay for the diesel. :)

Looking forward to seeing a local 6BT swap 80.

Was your X a white one with blue bumpers and armour?

I remember wheeling in my LX on a maintenance run with a guy with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom