Look what I found.... 1961 FJ40 FST (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

one of the suspension pins i removed (with effort). pictured next to a donor. its a bit 'rust pitted'. there a couple similar that prob need replacing!

066.JPG

Is that a battery operated 4" grinder? What are you, some kind of modernist??

C'mon west, what's the craic old mate? You've been relegated to a page-two'er o_O

yea sorry about that. simply been flat out on the station and based down our other property with no net yet. get net hooked up down there on the 10th dec. still with all you old tojo nutters just in the sidelines at the moment

All good young fella. Get sorted and come back in your own time.

well g'day punters. seasons greeting to you all. been a bit flat out lately and no time for old cruisers.

flew north for a week over christmas; to a corporate cattle station managed by friends of my girls in the kimberley region of west aus near halls creek. bloody interesting; i never seen that country in the early wet before. didnt find any tojo treasure though.

anyways back now and even snuck an hour or so into long abandoned project shorty tonight! im supposed to be tinkering suspension but it 40c here today and was kinda lacking motivation to crawl around on the black rubber in the sun under my hoist. so tinkered front brakes. rebuilt a few front wheel cyls and raided my wrecks for a few hard lines. most originals unsalvageable. found a few old used brake shoes that may just do the job for now. the wheel cyls have been dismantled and soaking in diesel for long enough that i almost forget the drama i had getting all this apart! in hindsight it would have made sense to just put a donor serviceable axle under this but the joy is in the tinkering and its good to know what ive got. also the geek in me loves the little things; like the date coded brake drums and the old 'H pattern' bolts that hold the wheel cyls to the back plates; that sort of thing. wheel bearings are not the best but they are all cleaned and repacked with new seals ready to fit. very slow and steady at the moment punters!

Managed to get the hangars off the 25 while you were out, just have to separate the rears from the crossmember. I have a '62 40 axle out back if you want me to throw in some brake stuff.

cheers for that cruisernerd; i am still tinkering with all this. will be in touch but muchly appreciated on salvaging the 25 parts for me.

so tinkered a few hrs new yrs eve on front brakes. had some donor front hardline assemblies i was all set to use... but then i discovered my old originals are just a tad different....(original 61 on the left both pics)

20141231_180749.jpg
20141231_180852.jpg

the angle where the flex line joins is different as is the material; later donor on the left is some form of brass.

so with a fair amount of heat, beer, bad language and perseverance i managed to get the originals apart; and while the hardlines themselves were mostly unsalvageable i did manage to salvage all the original fittings. the donors would have bolted up fine so this served no real purpose other than to satisfy my inner geek. wondering when this changed? the 63/64 45 stuff i have to compare is comparable to the later. wondering if anyone else has noticed this? (talk to me nuclearlemon!) certainly 25 stuff is different with the single wheel cly etc so seems a short lived early variation. anyways this all took time so tinker tinker. if i insist on building a super rusty 61fst may as well do it properly haha.

and the date casting on the original brake drums interests me also. when did this cease, ie who has the latest date code on their drums?

yea know im a geek but thats why i hang out on the 25 page!

all the best for 2015 to you all.

west is back in the house! Good to hear. I too like the idea of absolutely original parts on a super rusty wreck. If you're gonna do something..

got home early for a quick play tonight. heated a bit more rust out the rear suspension (there some 'before' pics in this thread somewhere). as good as theyre gonna get anyway. then found a bit of straight bar that i placed through side to side. will use this as a guide to straighten things up as i re-weld these up. still plotting but you get the idea; ie the rust distortion i am dealing with.

20150128_224349.JPG
20150128_224349.JPG

just blaze it in west, she'be right ;)

now am going to deal with the same issue at rear of the rear springs. quick play in fading light tonight; removed po mudflaps and starting melting rust. 'chipping away' if you'll pardon the pun. should be no drama here; this will be only welded lightly. only started on one side. for what its worth there is a little battered oem wiring i want to get out of the way before i get heat in the other side. dont like melting it away (and it will stink)

20150130_221148.JPG 20150130_221222.JPG

nice work westy.

chipping away it is!

so .....(sorry cult)..... hacked the indicator switch housing. there wasnt a way around this; and i will have a donor somewhere.

20150207_232831.JPG

had to pull the gear shifter itself first. there some lugs and a spring in there that shot everywhere across the gravel when it moved! took me ages to find all this again

20150207_233040.JPG

this allowed me to finally get the column shift assembly out through the engine bay. this has been done before; notice a po has left the perfect sized hole chiseled in the firewall. good on em!

20150207_232730.JPG

and i was left with my very own, very solid, 61/62 only, gearshift assembly. left tonight hanging up on the shed floor.

20150207_232907.JPG

i will state again that these parts do not exist in australia. i have two: this one and another (siezed) example belonging to my 62 fj45. i have a possible good lead on another 1500 miles away (a wreck that was long ago converted to stick shift but i am told still has the column mechanism). there is another 62 fj45 i know of via mud. i also have a gen2 assembly on my silverbullet 63 fj45 and i have unconfirmed anecdotal reports of 2 more that may be this or gen2 column shift. sum total i know of in aus rhd. but my inner geek likes the rarity ;)

so what to do? i cant afford to damage this rare rhd stuff. in time my 62 fj45 will find its way into the shed and get some of the attention it deserves; so i need to learn this stuff! on page 7 of this thread mudder old red kindly posted some parts diagrams of this unit in both lhd and rhd. study shows the cast block at the bottom, the 'bracket control lower', seems to be the major different piece rhd versus lhd.

i am sure the damage is at the top (handle) end on this unit where the diecast lump and outer shaft run over the inner shaft. 35plus years of snoozing away near the tyre pile (see post #1) have taken their toll. anyway im gonna soak the hell out of this. in the meantime i am in conversation with mudder splangy to perhaps purchase his spare assembly. post usa to aus is a pita$. hopefully i can dismantle his unit and then use this gained knowledge to get my solid lump apart without irrepairable damage. i presume i will have to cut the outer shaft (i could do this neatly with a pipecutter so it could be rewelded) to try and get some movement. then make a servicable rhd unit using parts from both. its a longish shot but doable i reckon; the best hope ive got to date anyway.

i am happy to break budget and spend a few $ on rebuilding this original gearbox. (a special treat for my inner geek.) however it is all a bit pointless if i cant assemble the matching gear shifter mechanism to go with it. pondering....

if anyone has ever had any of this apart i would love to hear from you. thinking to post this question over on the 40 page also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom