Just get her drivable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the 60 diffs WILL go straight in BUT, they have 3.70 gears rather than 4.11s- you'll go faster down the road, but slower up them hills. AND, I don't think there was a year of 60 flange that matched pre 78 flange. you could get some solid pinion spacers, and some transition flanges from Marlin Or Curt Or ...I think I have also heard that you could mix and match drive shaft yokes to match the flanges YMMV...the thing with the solid spacers at the pinion is that the 60 diff uses a crush sleeve to get/keep preload on the bearing and if you don't crush it right, it's not good. when you go to change the flange, you have to get the preload just right- a used sleeve has potential to crush too far. the solid spacer(as used in earlier diffs) and the shims that may be in there from factory, are easy to re set. When going from crush sleeve to spacer, just check preload of as-is donor diff and make sure there is no excessive play and that the preload is in spec. the take apart the stake nut, washer, flange, seal, bearing and crush sleeve and use the height of the sleeve as crushed with proper preload to set the height of the spacer, then shim as needed to get preload as it was. NOW, I have been told you can r and r the flange on a sleeve diff if you are very careful getting matching load before and after when using the same sleeve and bearings. Drilling is a viable option. I may be making a much bigger deal out of it than needed. you will have to remove the read diff cover, pinion shaft lock pin, pinion shaft and spacer, c clips from the inside ends of the axles as viewed looking into hole in diff carrier(push axles inward and remove clips, pull axles straight out carefully-new axle bearings and seals...brake components?)) you will need new diff cover gasket, or use grey diff gasket maker(works good) I used grey on my thirds and no leaks. front diff>get off the hubs, spindles, withdraw axleshafts.

62 series has 4.11 gears BTW, if that helps any

I'm sure you know, but front and rear ratios MUST match.

You can have a drive shaft shop modify your driveline with a 60 yoke on one end and your 55 on the other . I had to do something similar and it was 60$ each cut and balanced .

yes you got it on the driveshafts. I don't know bout 3.70s in the 55, but when I swapped them for the 4.11s in my 62, there is a huge difference. prolly dropped cruise rpm by 400.

Good Upgrade

If you don't have to deal with a lot of steep long mountains it's a great upgrade RPMs go down MPG and speed goes up.

I dropped 60 pumpkins in minbe about 2 years ago great upgrade. Have to change the yokes but it was an easy swap on mine 85 60 difs into my 75 FJ55. Go to 31's or 33's . Then for the best - start looking for a deal on a H55 ------- cruise at 75MPH and at 2600 RPMs ;)

you can probably just swap the slip shaft on the driveshafts. there are some that are a little shorter, but iirc it was 40 slip to a 60 series shaft. 60 slip to 40 shaft i believe was good.

got the 60 thirds in...she does a little better

now I'm onto the carb.....I want a full desmog (already started)

Is a trollhole carb designed to work with all the smog components removed? Do I need to get anything else in order to run that carb and be desmogged?

Or, should I rebuild my stock carb by JimC and have it modified for a desmog? This is the more expensove route, but if it is better, I'll consider it.

I believe the Trollhole carb works on a de-smogged engine, think you can get one for cable or linkage throttle. Should bolt right on and run.
Or, you can buy a $35 carb rebuild kit from Kurt and rebuild your own...

I know the shackle lift is less than ideal, but they were free, I needed new tires, and had the 33s. Had to lift it (well in the rear...tires were close to the fender). I did not install new bushings...also less than ideal. It's on the list after laundry list of more expensive/time consuming updates.

After I posted the question, I did some more research and found the shims I need. Along with the U bolts.

Thanks

I know the shackle lift is less than ideal, but they were free, I needed new tires, and had the 33s. Had to lift it (well in the rear...tires were close to the fender). I did not install new bushings...also less than ideal. It's on the list after laundry list of more expensive/time consuming updates. After I posted the question, I did some more research and found the shims I need. Along with the U bolts. Thanks

I would do the bushings while you are in there doing shims and U-bolts. Safe steering is not exactly optional. You may want to replace spring pins while you are in there...

Got the shims in....4 degrees. Drives better then it did when stock.

Now I'm onto the Trollhole carb instal. I have the carb sitting here, and have a few questions. It appears pretty straight forward, but I can't figure out where the fuel return line hooks up to the carb. This line is still needed correct? I've looked long and hard here, but can't seem to find a pic of a 1977 or earlier 2F with a Trollhole carb installed. Its either 1F, early 2F or late 2F (FJ60 style)

This is what my stock setup looks like, and need some where to put the banjo fitting on the new carb....

The only vacuum line I need to run is from the base of the carb to this point on the distributor...correct?

Also, is there anywhere else besides this plate to get the build date? Can't read it. I have the VIN from the frame, but need the build date

Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom