isuzu 4BD1T swap?! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we know that some isuzu diesels were ued with gm auto and manual trannys. There are thousands of these trucks around so finding the bellhousing and flywheel housing should be doable. For a toyota tranny I guess you could use the isuzu/chevy adapter than a advance adapter kit to hook a 350 to the toyo tranny.

if you could put the F series pattern (assuming they are all the same) on the back of an isuzu you would have a winner. That way you could use the big toyo autos and the h55f 5sp.

as for the fuel system, isint there a diesel sized filler neck that will bolt up to the petrol tank and fit into the current filler door on the body? If converting the pieces together would this require the use of a diesel
60 series tank?

-nate-

as for the fuel system, isint there a diesel sized filler neck that will bolt up to the petrol tank and fit into the current filler door on the body? If converting the pieces together would this require the use of a diesel
60 series tank?

-nate-

i dunno, my FJ55 doesnt have that restrictor plate thing for unleaded pump nozzles.

Guys here are some more pics of the rebuild.. Bill rented a sleeve puller at $60 a day from somewhere in Calif.. Problem was it was slightly F'd when we got it. 3 sleeves came out fine, a 4th is still in there, major PITA... Not sure how he/we are going to get it out. The sleeves sort of suck... Here are some pics of the puller. This is supposed to be a 90 degree angle to pull the sleeve out. It had been worn down to the angle seen...
SM_Picture 115.jpg

More pics. Breaking the bearing caps loose to pull the crank shaft.. You can, very carefully, remove the crank on these without removing the whole injection pump assembly...
SM_Picture 070.jpg
SM_Picture 073.jpg
SM_Picture 076.jpg

Here are pics of the block. Note the copper tubes.. Those are the "Piston Oil Cooling" squirter tubes.. It squirts a little dash of oil on the bottom of the pistons to cool them... You can also see bearings, etc...

You can also see the squirter in the photo of the bad cyl.. Then the #1 piston that was fawked...
SM_Picture 078.jpg
SM_Picture 064.jpg
SM_Picture 084.jpg

I've read through a few threads on this conversion and sent an email to David @ Isuzudieselswapper.com but still have a couple of (stupid?) questions, as I am not very familiar with GM drivetrain:

If I purchase the GM 700R4 adapter kit from the website above, will I be able to attach an NV4500 to the Isuzu? Would this require another adapter kit (something like Advance Adapters' NV4500-to-Chevy V8 kit) in order to work? Ideally, I'd like to attach the Isuzu to the NV4500 to the Toyota transfer case.

Thanks for any insight - I am currently planning my next project, which will be a Land Cruiser. I had to sell my half-completed FJ40 restoration nearly 10 years ago to return to college and am just now completing an Isuzu diesel conversion (2.8l diesel into 1988 Trooper - www.dieseltrooper.blogspot.com), so the Isuzu-powered cruiser is a natural for me.

I've read through a few threads on this conversion and sent an email to David @ Isuzudieselswapper.com but still have a couple of (stupid?) questions, as I am not very familiar with GM drivetrain:

If I purchase the GM 700R4 adapter kit from the website above, will I be able to attach an NV4500 to the Isuzu? Would this require another adapter kit (something like Advance Adapters' NV4500-to-Chevy V8 kit) in order to work? Ideally, I'd like to attach the Isuzu to the NV4500 to the Toyota transfer case.

Thanks for any insight - I am currently planning my next project, which will be a Land Cruiser. I had to sell my half-completed FJ40 restoration nearly 10 years ago to return to college and am just now completing an Isuzu diesel conversion (2.8l diesel into 1988 Trooper - www.dieseltrooper.blogspot.com), so the Isuzu-powered cruiser is a natural for me.

If I understand correctly, David's adapter kit was originally designed to mate a GM automatic to the Isuzu diesel. The kit requires that you use the flywheel from a manual transmission 4BD1/2. A spacer that David provides as part of his kit bolts to the face of the flywheel and then the GM flex plate bolts to this adapter. If you use the kit to mate a GM manual tranny to the Isuzu, you will need to replace the flex plate with a GM flywheel. The end result will be two flywheels attached to the crankshaft separated by the spacer. IMO, that is a lot of spinning weight but then maybe it will work fine.

hit the nail on the head astr, im installing his kit on mine now, nicely made pieces.

you can get the kit w/o the flexplate, then what you will have is a GM smallblock from any trannies point of view. you could also take the isuzu flywheel to a machine shop and have it signifigantly "lightened" since its just a starter ring now.

one or a couple of you has a manual right? can you scan or make a drawing of the alternator leads for me (us)? need to know what is what even though it looks suspiciously like a GM alt.

should have mine in the pig in a couple weeks time.

p.s. modified my sig:cheers:

hit the nail on the head astr, im installing his kit on mine now, nicely made pieces.

you can get the kit w/o the flexplate, then what you will have is a GM smallblock from any trannies point of view. you could also take the isuzu flywheel to a machine shop and have it signifigantly "lightened" since its just a starter ring now.

Thanks, astr and RHINO. That is what I had hoped. I would also like to see some photos of the adapter system installed if available.

As an aside, I would be careful of lightening the diesel flywheel - I know the 2.8l Isuzu diesel 4-cyl. has a massive dual-mass flywheel that is (likely) critical for smooth operation. I'd at least want to analyze the two flywheels etc. together to see how the whole assembly works in concert before doing any modifications.

i'll get some pics once i get everything ready to start assembly and install.

good point about the heavy flywheel, hmmm. well i dont need to go that route just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

one or a couple of you has a manual right? can you scan or make a drawing of the alternator leads for me (us)? need to know what is what even though it looks suspiciously like a GM alt.

should have mine in the pig in a couple weeks time.

p.s. modified my sig:cheers:

Rhino: PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you the whole FSM for the engine including the electrical.

Guys here are some more pics of the rebuild.. Bill rented a sleeve puller at $60 a day from somewhere in Calif.. Problem was it was slightly F'd when we got it. 3 sleeves came out fine, a 4th is still in there, major PITA... Not sure how he/we are going to get it out. The sleeves sort of suck... Here are some pics of the puller. This is supposed to be a 90 degree angle to pull the sleeve out. It had been worn down to the angle seen...

Dave of Isuzu Diesel Conversions made his own sleeve puller/installer with what looks like with a few scraps of steel and some threaded rod. See here: http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/photo.html

looks very nice, what do these engines require in way of a fuel system? Remove pump from gas tank and hook fuel line to the engines lift pump? Along with a fuel/water seperator. Does that go before engine lift pump or between lift pump and inj pump?

looks very nice, what do these engines require in way of a fuel system? Remove pump from gas tank and hook fuel line to the engines lift pump? Along with a fuel/water seperator. Does that go before engine lift pump or between lift pump and inj pump?
The standard setup has a water seperator/spin-on fuel filter between the fuel tank and the lift pump. This is usually mounted on the frame rail close to the fuel tank. There is a second spin-on fuel filter mounted on the engine connected between the lift pump and the injection pump. There is also a return line going back to the tank.

By the way, here may be a chance to pick up a running 4BD1 cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=120116549929&rd=1,1

If you have a fuel injected system then yes you have to remove the high pressure fuel injected pump. Other than that filters/separators are easy to find in the aftermarket of high quality... All of that is not heard at all...

astr thanks for that visualization. It really helps me envision what needs to be done. As for finding an engine I would rebuild it before installation. That way it will last a long time. Now from the deminisions of the engine compartment, and the dimensions of the engine, it there much space around it. The 3fe is hard to work on as it is, and will not spend 10 grand and a hole summer of my time to make a vehicle that is a pain in the ass to work on. I would think the isuzu is shorter then the 3fe? I will have to move the radiator and condensor back a few inches so I can mount a big fmic up front. Haha, I kep dreaming of many different ways to go about this project.

Does the isuzu have a hand primer by the lift pump?

thanks for any help to answer these qyestions, -nate-

well thanks guys, you went and made me change my mind to a manual tranny instead of the auto.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom