I want to talk about this HAND CRANK! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have a pic of the bracket? That link above doesn't have the pics attached anymore. I never knew there was a bracket. I recently used the crank to spin my engine when the head was off and check the cylinder walls and well, just to mess around... Even with the head off, it was not super easy to spin. A bracket def would have helped. Still available anywhere?

I would like to see a video of one being started. I remember tractors as a kid.

That was cool! So that's what the bracket looks like I take it. Is there anything holding the crank against the crank nut? I found when turning it without the bracket that it was a bit difficult to keep inward pressure on the hand crank to keep it tight against the nut. ...Easy to slip off. Perhaps simply having the bracket would be enough.

Anything holding the crank into the nut would increase the likelihood of it not disengageing... and continuing to spin at 650 rpm.

I hand cranked my old F engine, but haven't tried with the 2F. My old 72 Datsun pickup with the 1600cc engine had a hand crank also. I started it once or twice with it.

Not only did I crank-start my '78 FJ40 fairly often, I added AFI TBI to the engine, and I can still crank start it. There can't be too many EFI-equipped engines that can be crank started. Apparently, the TBI computer doesn't need many RPM to decide to start.

I made my own engine crank and bracket, and I made the crank itself fairly short, as you can easily bend the spare-tire-crank-length crank, while cranking.

in the video it looks like a simple L bracket with a hole in it...with two spaces on either side to allow the tabs on the crank handle to pass through. Looks simple enough to jerry rig one.

That vid is beyond cool Brian, thanks for posting up!!!

in the video it looks like a simple L bracket with a hole in it...with two spaces on either side to allow the tabs on the crank handle to pass through. Looks simple enough to jerry rig one.
While it’s a different part and would require some chopping, the spare tire cable winch guide from a FJ62 has a very similar pattern. -0-

Is that a part that can still be ordered? I don't even know what an FJ62 looks like... Don't you think it would be pretty simple to fabricate? Looks like an L piece of steel channel with a couple of holes drilled/cut into it. Is there something more to it?

Thanks, Geoff. I just read that great thread. And of course asked if the guides were available...........................????

Just fyi - guides are back in stock but with a price increase - sorry. Shipping, material, and tooling has really gone up - well north of reality. This is a small, limited batch - with the pricing now I doubt they will sell very well, but that is beyond my control. I've tried to cut the costs, but not willing to use Chinese steel and deal with the inconsistency.

Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom