HOW TO: Detailed DIY for Remote Start/Alarm/Keyless Entry (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so is this only useful for someone with a factory system?

x2 no factory alarm, keyless entry, etc here. Seems like a nice alarm standalone? yes/no? LOL :princess: said sure just because the fob is pink.

so is this only useful for someone with a factory system?
Not necessarily, the only benefit to someone with the RS3000, is you can cut and use part of its harness. With this installation, you remove the entire factory system and replace it.
Someone will have to verify if other 80 series (besides the 96 LX) has the same wiring schematic. The chassis side of the OEM alarm wiring may be present, even if there is no alarm. If so, you can use the same info in the instructions.

Last edited:
Great pictures :clap: and awesome right-up :steer:. I have 5901 viper with ultrasound sensor, battery back-up, tilt sensor and 2 auto window up/down modules ready to be installed. I have schedule an appointment with a shop to installed, hope everything goes to plan.
Can the alarm be installed without the remote start part? I only need it for security purposes , sensors and starter disable.

FIRETRUCK41, you are a man after my own heart...if I was looking for a man...to take my heart...and I went that way...and you did to...or else it would get awkward...nm.

Good job!

FIRETRUCK41, you are a man after my own heart...if I was looking for a man...to take my heart...and I went that way...and you did to...or else it would get awkward...nm.

Good job!

:confused: Is this a coming out the closet thread? Pink key fobes and such...:confused:...J/k-great job ..

...Can the alarm be installed without the remote start part? I only need it for security purposes , sensors and starter disable.
You can use it without all of the remote start hooked up. I think you still need the ignition wire hooked up, for full operation and programming.

Good job!

ummm... errr... thanks, I think? :eek::lol:

Last edited:
I think it would be VERY easy, I just have not done it yet, will take all of 2 min. Once the wires are accessible. I think I should just be able to tap in to it, and probably have the LED on the Viper switch and the Factory indicator both work.

In the picture of the T harness above, the bottom of the T is not visible. Do the wires terminate at a connector or are they cut from the old vehicle?

Ben,
Thanks for the incredibly detailed installation writeup. Now even a caveman can cleanly install a Viper 5701.

In the picture of the T harness above, the bottom of the T is not visible. Do the wires terminate at a connector or are they cut from the old vehicle?

I just soldered the wires at the "T" there is not a connector hidden behind there.

Do you have to have the T-harness?

I'm about to buy a clifford matrix 1x and am wondering if I can install it myself.

Do you have to have the T-harness?

I'm about to buy a clifford matrix 1x and am wondering if I can install it myself.

You do not need the DIY T-harness, it does however make it easier. When you get under the dash and see where you would need to splice in to the ignition switch harness, you see how convenient a T-harness would be. The T-harness just gives you a harness you can assemble on your workbench, and just insert between the existing connectors. Another benefit is that it is easily un-installed/removed.

What all is wired into the t harness? The system I bought doesn't have remote start. Just alarm, keyless, and Failsafe® Starter Kill.

What all is wired into the t harness? The system I bought doesn't have remote start. Just alarm, keyless, and Failsafe® Starter Kill.

It is mostly used for the remote starter. The only reason you may need to access the ignition switch wiring is probably for a starter kill, though you could use the park/neutral indication wires that the RS3000 used for the starter interrupt, in the kick panel area. Do you have a factory alarm/keyless right now?

It is mostly used for the remote starter. The only reason you may need to access the ignition switch wiring is probably for a starter kill, though you could use the park/neutral indication wires that the RS3000 used for the starter interrupt, in the kick panel area. Do you have a factory alarm/keyless right now?

Nope, it looks like it had a aftermarket unit at one point(the siren is under the hood, and a indicator light on the dash). But it appears its all been removed besides the things mentioned before.

Well I take back my statement. The old system was all there, just VERY well hidden. Ahh the hight of 90s alarm systems. Wonder if it was still any good.

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

I thank you so much for posting this, it made me more confidante in installing it on my own even though some of the wires were labeled differently on my truck. Thankfully the old alarm was still wired up so I just basically unplugged all the connections and plugged in most of the new system only needing to find a few new wires.

Maybe sometime ill do a small addition to your write up on how to do it on a truck without any factory systems.

I thank you so much for posting this, it made me more confidante in installing it on my own even though some of the wires were labeled differently on my truck. Thankfully the old alarm was still wired up so I just basically unplugged all the connections and plugged in most of the new system only needing to find a few new wires.

Maybe sometime ill do a small addition to your write up on how to do it on a truck without any factory systems.

Glad to hear the thread helped someone DIY an aftermarket system. It's nice you had the old one that made it easy to find/hook up most of the wires. Feel free to add to the thread with install tips/info/writeup:)!

You bet.

Does your viper(clifford is basically the same from what I read) unlock the doors when you turn the ignition off and lock when you crank the car? I find this pretty annoying and think this will lead to premature failure of the lock regulators. I'm sure its something in the programing of the system but I didn't see anything about it in he manual.

You bet.

Does your viper(clifford is basically the same from what I read) unlock the doors when you turn the ignition off and lock when you crank the car? I find this pretty annoying and think this will lead to premature failure of the lock regulators. I'm sure its something in the programing of the system but I didn't see anything about it in he manual.

Yes it does auto lock/unlock with ignition. It is a programmable feature, so you can enable/disable it. I don't think it will wear anything out, as the RS3000 factory alarm did the same for the last 140+k miles, with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom