Intermittent Starting Issue - Can Always Remote Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Clifford remote start unit that has worked pretty flawlessly until the last couple weeks. One out of every maybe 30 cold starts, starting the car via the key won't work. The lights come on the dash, but it doesn't turn over or try to start at all. If I lock it with the keyfob and then remote start, it cranks right up. After that, this won't happen for another ~30 cold starts.

Could this be anything on the truck itself (starter, battery connections, fusible link)? My initial thought is to run down the fault via the remote start unit, but am curious if it could be something else that wouldn't apply in a remote start situation.

Thanks!

Who install your remote start unit? If you bypass the remote start and use your key, did you hear the starter engaging with a click? The starter gets a signal boost via the NSF and ignition switch and many times, the NSF needs to be clean or the wiring connection gets corroded. Depending on how the remote start is wired, it might be getting power straight from the battery and bypassing the stock factory wiring sequence.

+1 - bypas the Clifford and re-eval.

Who install your remote start unit? If you bypass the remote start and use your key, did you hear the starter engaging with a click? The starter gets a signal boost via the NSF and ignition switch and many times, the NSF needs to be clean or the wiring connection gets corroded. Depending on how the remote start is wired, it might be getting power straight from the battery and bypassing the stock factory wiring sequence.
Thanks for the advice guys. It was put in by a reputable shop around 6 years ago, and never had issues.

What’s NSF?

Little more info - it seems like this is only happening when the headlights are also on during start. If I turn the headlights off, it starts.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom