Help with 8274 diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased this Warn 8274 on the weekend and got to work bypassing the solenoid pack.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/checking-out-a-8274-tomorrow-what-should-i-be-looking-for.873389/

Yesterday, I checked all the solenoids and they seem to be working, but the winch motor still wouldn't turn when I power either of the two pairs of solenoids. Today I cleaned all the terminals on the solenoids thinking that would work, but the motor still doesn't turn. Since I don't have four hands, I didn't check to see if I was getting 12VDC at the motor terminals after powering the solenoids, but I'am wondering if these solenoids are really working even though they all click when I power them.

After checking with my multimeter, the top two solenoids were closing properly (zero resistance across the two terminals) when I applied the 12VDC signal, but the bottom two were not closing properly (approx 250-350 ohms), yet all were making the clicking same sound. I then decided to replace the main motor ground wire with one I had laying around because I had been grounding my battery to the ground cable screw which was very rusty. I then grounded the motor via the new cable I installed, and I also ran a ground wire from the battery to the solenoid mounting plate. After several attempts with the 12VDC signal wire, it finally worked, but it was still very intermittent. It still took a lot of tapping on the solenoids while applying the 12VDC signal to spool out all of the wire rope. I'm still not sure what exactly is going on with the solenoids, but at least I can get it to work intermittently.

The last thing you want is intermittent operation when you really need the winch some day. Either replace all the solenoids, or replace them all with a single contactor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom