Gorges State Park/ Chestnut Mtn Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Izzyandsue ; they didn't even offer driving through water for us, something about no one liked getting their trucks muddy so they took it out of the course.

Thats how I roll baby, big hat no cattle, big snorkel for mall crawling. The water does get a lot deeper in the pond, I was just getting the threads wet on Mama's station wagon, no need to ruin the Italian ostrich leather loafers. And from the gopro, it looks like some cool serengeti adventure.
Also, it was dangerous as hell, there was a stick in the pond that look like a snake.

Last edited:
Great time today in the woods

Started out again at the gate and drove out the main trail. Noted waypoints as potential points of interest like unexplored trails or camp sites.
The trail dead ends after 11 miles of decent dirt driving. Dead ended at the last gate on the state line, about 100 yards from connecting to Musterground Road. That's too bad, we wanted to drive all night he way out. We walked from gate to Musterground, will come in from that side next time.

Then we diverted to SC via the blue track below to Crossroad mountain, more to explore in that are as we turned around to get back home for Halloween. Can't wait to go back.

image.png
image.png

Gassing up near Brevard
image.jpeg

Gator and Patton in their element, great stopping point for the dogs and bipeds to stretch out.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
River had pretty good flow
image.jpeg

This was the end of the road, sucks we couldn't get through, would have been great to exit in SC.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mabel's maiden voyage off-road! And she performed like a champ. Some cool deep holes and mud bogs we drove through.
image.jpeg

Had a lot of fun today. Really looking forward to going back and camping out then exploring more around there. Easy trails but good enough for me.

Not a toyota owner, I have a rover, but I'd love to check out this area.

I read somewhere that you can call the park office to get a key code to open a gate to Crossmountain Rd? Did you go through that gate?

Nothing wrong with rovers, that's my LR4 crossing in the video up there. Gate to Crossroad Mountain was open, that's Bear Creek Camp road and goes into SC, we didn't explore enough of that particular area and I want to go back for sure. All gates were open, Ranger at park told they usually are. It's a huge area for sure.

What LR you have? Don't go there on the continental street tires, could be dicey. By the way, if you want the actual map route file, send me a PM with email to send it to.

Hey izzy. I thought you were the same guy on an LR forum I saw back in August posting about the Jocassee area.

I have an '08 LR3. Wife has a '13 LR4.

Right now I've got Pirelli Scorpion atr's on. On my truck, I actually need to replace the lower front control arms, so am shopping for tires(18s) to replace when I do that. My big concern is not having a full size spare when going offroad. I'll probably try and find a used wheel, get 5 tires and just carry the spare in the back of the truck when I offroad, although I'd like a better solution.
So far the only off-roading I've done are the easy trails at Uwharrie.
I'll PM you for map.

@Izzyandsue great report. Would you be willing to share your gpx tracks for this area? Looking to explore this area over a long weekend and came across your thread here.

Thanks in advance!

I was just on the other side of the fence pole a couple of weeks ago. Was hoping to do a more thorough drive and explore of Musterground, maybe over night

Jocassee Gorges area

Hmm,,was trying to edit my previous post, but do t see an option.

Was going to add, that when I do go to Gorges, I'm going to toss the flyrod in the truck. Would love to do a,little fishing in the Whitewater.

Is that bridge crossing the only significant creek crossing on that trail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom