Gorges State Park/ Chestnut Mtn Road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well went with the wife to Gorges State Park today and hiked up Rainbow Falls Trail to check out all the waterfalls. Very nice place lots of cool waterfalls and swim holes.
On the way out we drove up Chestnut Mountain Rd. This road starts out as a gravel two track road that goes up the mountain. On the far side it has some really steep descents. When you get to the end of this road take a right and head down the mtn a couple of miles and you'll come to this bridge crossing. After this bridge crossing the trail starts to get real rough! The wife and I went up the other side about two miles before we turned around (time was running out and Gorges closes at 9) to come back down.
While airing back up at the Rainbow Falls parking lot a Park Ranger stopped by on a atv.
I asked him about the trail on the other side. He said the trail goes all the way past the South Carolina line and is open to all types of traffic, "If the gates are open go for it". He said that the trail is gated by Duke Power on the other end and you would have to back track the way you came in. He asked if we made it to the top of the mountain, while pointing to a very high ridge. I said we didn't get that far as we were afraid we would get locked in the park. He stated that the park's gates will raise up after hours to let you out but you can't get back in. He then said that near the top it gets rough enough that a winch maybe needed since it's washed out and isn't really maintained very well.
Ill be going back sometime soon to try and make it all the way to the locked gates and I'll record it with my action cam. Anyway this is a REALLY great trail for you expo guys that want to trail ride. There are some nice looking camp sites on the river and also on the Rainbow Falls trail.

We will have to check that out. Not too far from us.

Also the Ranger said there is another road (Bear Creak Rd ?) that cuts out to the left and it takes you to Lake Jocassee with camp sites.
He said that at the end of the trail by the Duke Power gated part are camp sites too. This is a pretty large area to drive around but I would not take
any vehicle but a true 4wd. These "roads" aren't roads but trails (worse than Hurricane Creek) and what I've seen so far, many more miles long.

Last edited:
Yeah I was surprised by what I saw yesterday. I watched a couple of videos on youtube and was thinking it would be a scenic gravel road and it is at first.
But once you make the turn right it really gets interesting (rocks, ruts, small creek crossings). Very cool place and I can almost bet that it becomes a popular expo type spot for clubs. Wish I had my action cam with me to grab some video of the place but I wasn't expecting anything like we went through.
I'm trying to get a goggle map of the start point and where we turned around at now.

Wish I knew how to highlight the route we took and post it.

Wish I knew how to highlight the route we took and post it.
Trace it on GoogleEarth. Save the trace as a gpx file and attach it.

It is actually almost as easy as it sounds.

Misspellings courtesy of autocorrect from my iPad using IH8MUD Forum

Yeah, we camped with TrollHole at Jocassee a few years back and I think he mentioned these set of roads as an alternative and more intesting way to get into the area...

I wanted to add to this thread instead of starting a new one. Did someone of the trail Thursday before the Overland Expo. The Yellow trail traces are from the ranger station on Gorges State Park to just past the bridge. Looks like the trail continues quite a ways into SC.

image.png

image.png

The blue trace goes from the intersection just to the top of Crossroads Mountain, but continues deep into Jocassee and campgrounds there. There were quite a few other trails I didn't go on yet. But a must to explore

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Typical view of trail

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Easy to miss sign at intersection

image.jpeg

Lots of downed trees along the way, a chainsaw would be a welcome adder next time as precaution.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The other side of the bridge coming back

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The trail in SC was a lot sandier, wetter, muddier, and all around more challenging. I got to go back when there are no hurricanes in forecast!

image.jpeg

Are the NC Forrestry Roads pretty much all open to travel if they are not shut?

Yes, all National Forest Roads are available for travel, as long as they are not gated. Some are seasonal and the Forest Service has a yearly map they but out available for use in most GPS mapping software. The NC Gazetteer is also a good resource, as most of the gates are marked on FS roads. They just don't mark if they're accessible or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom