Gauging interest in a new tailgate cover (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the GatorStep product a goer?
Fur sure. It just will be after my surgery. Now that I have the shape and hole pattern nailed down, it's just a matter of picking backer material and coming up with a design for the foam. Any opinions? A solid sheet without designs would be the most practical as far as cleaning it, but, you know, boring. I also see now why the Seadek logo was so obnoxious. I think it's hard to get too intricate with this stuff. I'll be working with them on capabilities, but I'm open to design suggestions. I have an art background- i can do whatever you want- geometric or even a LC theme, silhouette, etc.

No thank you, I built my own a while back out of black HDPE (it looks nice but gets hot quick!). I added some cup holder cutouts to it to keep drinks from sliding off and keep things from rolling off. If you are still looking for suggestions for things to "add" to the cover cupholders would be a good option to consider.

Rob, Can you post pics please and your review once you get this mounted in place please. Thanks!

I'm interested depending on price and final product. The gator deck or whatever it's called seems like the perfect material for this!

file.php

file.php

Test fit?

Final.

It's exact. David did a great job in the fit. it's easy to remove as well if you need to service the bulbs. I'm super pleased with it. I will be putting it through it's paces in the coming weeks on a few outings but I anticipate it will continue to be perfect for me.

Considerations for me wanting the Linex finish (besides the esthetic match to the drawers) is that I use the tailgate as a work bench, stadium seating and a platform to stand on so I needed a versatile surface that can do all that.

As far as being in production- yes and no. We have everything we need to start selling them (besides calculating price), but nothing will really happen for a few weeks yet. I was supposed to have a surgery today which has been postponed until Friday. I will have quite a bit of rehab, so that will come first. There are also a couple other versions in the works. If you read through the thread, you will find most of the details, but right now the options we are looking at are Line-Xed Baltic Birch, Richlite, and a plastic backer with Gatorstep boat decking on it. I'd like to narrow it down to one or two choices, but will do all three if there is enough interest. As far as colors for Line-X, we have our standard black, gray and tan, but can do any color match/color code. There will most likely be a surcharge for a custom color unless you are buying the cover with one of our systems. The pigment isn't cheap and they would have to change colors, clean gun, etc., just for such a small part.

As far as being in production- yes and no. We have everything we need to start selling them (besides calculating price), but nothing will really happen for a few weeks yet. I was supposed to have a surgery today which has been postponed until Friday. I will have quite a bit of rehab, so that will come first. There are also a couple other versions in the works. If you read through the thread, you will find most of the details, but right now the options we are looking at are Line-Xed Baltic Birch, Richlite, and a plastic backer with Gatorstep boat decking on it. I'd like to narrow it down to one or two choices, but will do all three if there is enough interest. As far as colors for Line-X, we have our standard black, gray and tan, but can do any color match/color code. There will most likely be a surcharge for a custom color unless you are buying the cover with one of our systems. The pigment isn't cheap and they would have to change colors, clean gun, etc., just for such a small part.

I have a sample coming in a couple of days that I want to send you. Its a 1/4"- 55 durometer material. Available in several colors/patterns and textures. My buddy customizes hunting boats in Louisiana and uses this material.

J

I read most of it, don't recall seeing pricing.
Put me on the list for something in stock tan color, and needs to be about the same thickness as the carpet pad.
Unless you wanna do bamboo??

I have a sample coming in a couple of days that I want to send you. Its a 1/4"- 55 durometer material. Available in several colors/patterns and textures. My buddy customizes hunting boats in Louisiana and uses this material.

J

Sound great, I'd love to see it!

I read most of it, don't recall seeing pricing.
Put me on the list for something in stock tan color, and needs to be about the same thickness as the carpet pad.
Unless you wanna do bamboo??

Haha, no bamboo! I'll put you down. Original target for a plain sheet with hardware was around $200. I haven't had time to go over pricing, but Line-X will of course add cost. I'm not looking to make a killing, just trying to more provide a service to the community and fill a void. Stay tuned...

Any updates on this?

Yeah, I forgot all about this. What's the latest on it??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom