Gauging interest in a new tailgate cover (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TrekboxX

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey all. Looks like this has turned into a group buy thread for a tailgate cover to replace that nasty old carpet. I'm open to material choices, but my go-to would be to use the Richlite material I use for the cutting boards in my systems now. It's much better looking and way more rigid than HDPE. It's washable and sandable if it starts to get too beat up. Here's a shot that shows the material. What say you, Mud members?

EDIT- Let's shoot for a retail of $200 plus shipping, including hardware. For those interested, PM me (or state in thread) with your verbal commitment to purchase IF you like the final product and it's price- I won't hold you to it if it doesn't turn out like you envisioned. If we get enough guys interested (let's say 20) I'll make a prototype and take photos for you to approve. Then we'll do the group buy.

Add any requests/opinions in the thread such as material, attachment, embellishments, etc.

EDIT- 2-16-17: Ok, we're getting things narrowed down. We're looking a $200 for LINE-X coated Baltic Birch in black, tan, or gray, other colors will be a $35 upcharge. $240 will get you a Richlite surface. We'd need 6 buyers per color. Color is up to you guys, but I'd recommend looking at the R50 (what I use now for my cutting boards), Slate, or Black Diamond. More info can be found at their website here:
heritage - Richlite
and
northwest - Richlite

Edit- Gatorstep is off the table pending more interest. For now we will have snap-on padded covers. They will work with both materials. They will add 1/2"-3/8" thickness.

All of these options will be direct bolt-on. Please PM me or add to thread with your material preference and first and second color choice. Also, embellishments such as drip grooves, cupholder recesses, etc., can all be done, but again we need a consensus. Please indicate what you preference would be and whether you'd be ok with just a flat surface (my preference for ease of cleaning).

These prices can go down if we get a large number of buyers for one of the options. I'll do everything I can to get you guys the best price.

COLORS: Below are some photos that show LINE-X in tan, gray and black, as well as Richlite in Grays Harbor, Slate, Black Diamond, and R50. The Slate and Black Diamond look absolutely identical. They are a very dark gray/black. The Grays Harbor is a touch lighter but seems to have a tiny more warmth to it. I personally would do R50 or Black with a tan or gray interior.

Edit #367: I am concerned about the durability of the Gatorstep. It was easily damaged by dragging a key across it (firmly). More info to come, but for now I'm adding pics of the colors below(maxed for this post). I think the Almond looks best with tan interiors and Shark Fin for gray interiors.

See post #266 on pg 14 for pics of black Richlite cover and padded cover.

Member choices: Please let me know if this is not correct!
@perrobravo - R50, cover? *PAID*
@Bandit - Gray LINE-X *PAID*
@fireball - Black Richlite *PAID*
@gwatts - R50 *PAID*
@Mr Snappy - R50 *PAID*
@staggrlee - Black Richlite *PAID*
@wngrog - R50 *PAID*
@ntsaint - Tan LINE-X *PAID*
@pbr streetgang - R50 *PAID*
@guardcompany Tan LINE-X *PAID*
@colofj62 - R50 *PAID*
@crimsonaudio - Black Richlite, Black cover *PAID*
@Mark Gavin - Gray LINE-X *PAID*
@SierraWheeler - Tan LINE-X, Black cover *PAID*
@montegofd3s - Tan LINE-X, Black cover *PAID*
@Visceral - Black Richlite *PAID*
FL - Tan LINE-X
KU - Black Richlite *PAID*
KA - R50 *PAID*
@Hayes - Tan LINE-X, Tan cover *PAID*
@WingNutLG - Tan LINE-X, Tan cover *PAID*
DH - Gray LINE-X *PAID*
@Pilot25Cruiser - R50 *PAID*
@tedzap - R50
@mrbigboy - Tan LINE-X *PAID*
@SmoothLC - R50 *PAID*
JC
@3D FJ - Tan LINE-X *PAID*
@Captramrod01 - Gray LINE-X *PAID*
@slider35 - Black Richlite *PAID*
@Mike6158 - Tan LINE-X
@Thunder90 - Black Richlite - *PAID*
RD - Black LINE-X *PAID*

DSC04621.jpg

Tailgate cover 1.jpg

Tailgate cover 2.jpg

IMG_8571.JPG

IMG_8574.JPG

Last edited:
This is a great idea but what about price point?

I'd be in. My carpet is getting gross and I was just doing some research on my options.

Any other takers? I will need quite a few orders to make it worth ordering the material. It's very $$$, especially the shipping. I stock the material in 3/8", but that would be overkill for this application. 1/4" would be better, I think.

It's smooth, but not at all slippery. I'd bet that with it's smooth surface it still provides as much or more grip than textured HDPE, but is easier to clean. You probably have some in your house right now. It's the same stuff that high-end cutting boards and pizza boards are made from (Epicurean is one brand). I could easily add a drip groove, cupholders, traction grooves, whatever you guys wanted. All it takes is $$$!

I'm not looking to make a killing on these, just wanted to provide a solution for those who were in the market but either didn't want to deal with certain vendors or wanted something a bit nicer.

Would this work on the LX470 too? What color is the final cover going to be? Cheers.

Would this work on the LX470 too? What color is the final cover going to be? Cheers.
As far as I know, they are identical. If anyone knows different, please let me know!

For colors, the brown shown above is what I normally use. It's a good all around color. However, the material is available in a wide array of colors, so if everyone wanted another color such as black or whatever we could do that. Just need a consensus for the material. You can see their colors on their website www.richlite.com

I would be interested depending on the price point.

Will you be slot cutting so the factory push plugs will be used keep the top smooth and screw free?
I could, but the problem is that the factory plugs are actually pretty weak. For the light weight original carpet they are fine, but I've noticed with the heavier mat I made a few years back they come loose when the tailgate is slammed even softly. I was thinking countersunk SS screws, probably toggle bolts to avoid the end user having to deal with nutserts or similar. I'm open to the consensus of the forum, I just think the original fasteners aren't up to the task from experience.

This thread has kind of come back from the dead a bit. If there are folks interested, please speak up! I won't make them unless it looks like they will move. I would also like to have your opinions on whether you guys would want a full flat surface or maybe some CNC'd cup holders, maybe a "juice groove" around the perimeter, etc. It probably wouldn't add much to the cost of machining...

I agree with you about the fasteners. I've broken a few of my plastic tabs pulling off the carpet to sound deaden.

I'm interested, but probably not in the budget for a little while.

Not in the market for one, but just thinking out loud --- rare earth magnets. Those suckers are VERY strong, so I don't see why you couldn't recess some along the back-side perimeter to mount it. If you space them close enough they might even be STRONGER than the OEM plastic tabs! Heck, even industrial strength velcro could work in this placement.

With both solutions you can quickly remove the entire cutting board to say gain access to your new cubby storage or take it off to hose it down without splashing interior.

Getting even deeper into my imagination I recall someone showing me their Honda CRV had a picnic table in the floor storage -- I could imagine a removable tailgate cover that's reinforced and has table leg mounting system on the back which stores inside the tailgate...so now you can pop it off and have a table to-go.

Not in the market for one, but just thinking out loud --- rare earth magnets. Those suckers are VERY strong, so I don't see why you couldn't recess some along the back-side perimeter to mount it. If you space them close enough they might even be STRONGER than the OEM plastic tabs! Heck, even industrial strength velcro could work in this placement.

With both solutions you can quickly remove the entire cutting board to say gain access to your new cubby storage or take it off to hose it down without splashing interior.

Getting even deeper into my imagination I recall someone showing me their Honda CRV had a picnic table in the floor storage -- I could imagine a removable tailgate cover that's reinforced and has table leg mounting system on the back which stores inside the tailgate...so now you can pop it off and have a table to-go.
Great idea! I actually have used those magnets to attach this very same material. They were epoxied in. I'd have to get some info as to how they're holding up, but I like it. If you wanted to do a table the legs and structure (it would need support I think) would have to be stored elsewhere, but the magnets would allow easy attachment to the sub structure. Keep em coming guys. You dream it up, I'll make it happen!

I have gone down this road, had a prototype and I still have all the CAD drawings and even had it submitted for production at a local CNC shop, but they got flooded out the entire business and since I haven't pursued it any longer. I started a thread to gauge interest months ago and no-one I reached out to wanted to pay $200 dollars for it. The design I had also had cup holder carve outs and spill catching slits. It also had original bolt locations recessed with these type of anchor bolts which held it secured and tight. I was also able to get black HDPE which was great compared to white IMO. I think meeting the price point that a large amount of people like will be your challenge. The HDPE sheets only fit 5-6 tailgates for standard sheets, very strong material and scratch resistant. I think eventually everyone will need a cover! so its a good idea to have a trusty vendor that sells them.

Last edited:
I have gone down this road, had a prototype and I still have all the CAD drawings and even had it submitted for production at a local CNC shop, but they got flooded out the entire business and since I haven't pursued it any longer. I started a thread to gauge interest months ago and no-one I reached out to wanted to pay $200 dollars for it. The design I had also had cup holder carve outs and spill catching slits. It also had original bolt locations recessed with these type of anchor bolts which held it secured and tight. I was also able to get black HDPE which was great compared to white IMO. I think meeting the price point that a large amount of people like will be your challenge. The HDPE sheets only fit 5-6 tailgates for standard sheets, very strong material and scratch resistant. I think eventually everyone will need a cover! so its a good idea to have a trusty vendor that sells them.
I get it, believe me. There are some folks that understand the higher costs of a cottage industry like this, and there are some that want small-run-custom-niche-made-in-America solutions for mass-produced-Chinese-garbage prices.

Tell you what, guys. Let's shoot for a retail of $200 plus shipping, including hardware. For those interested, PM me with your verbal commitment to purchase IF you like the final product and it's price- I won't hold you to it if it doesn't turn out like you envisioned. If we get enough guys interested (let's say 20) I'll make a prototype and take photos for you to approve. Then we'll do the group buy. First post updated with this info...

Add any requests/opinions in the thread such as material, attachment, embellishments, etc.

I think a simple basic design that is possibly coated to match the interior would be great. I plan to coat drawers when I get then and it would be nice if they matched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom