Gauging interest in a new tailgate cover (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, guys- ask, and you shall receive! I just got off the phone with the owner of the company. Looks like if I buy large quantities we can get some good prices. So, to re-cap. The product will be a solid surface (Richlite or other, TBD) with an optional durable foam pad that sticks with high quality 3m adhesive. This is going to be good-to-go.

He is sending me a dealer kit with color options, etc. I'll keep you updated!

Added.

Well, I'm not thinking storage per se, but the pad needs a rigid backing plate. You could theoretically use the existing stock fiber board, but as many have said it's not very robust and disintegrates with water. So I was thinking a higher quality plate that could be run alone or with the pad, which would have an adhesive backing. We'll see what kind of quotes I get for the pads, if they're $400/each I'm thinking heck no...

That same company "Seadek" appears to have less expensive pads that are 3m adhesive backing. I am not sure how soft or if the sizes will match up but it might be worth a shot.

That same company "Seadek" appears to have less expensive pads that are 3m adhesive backing. I am not sure how soft or if the sizes will match up but it might be worth a shot.
So, the company I'm working with is Gatorstep. Similar stuff, but better in some areas. My understanding is the substrate and adhesives are better. I will become an OEM with them so I can get rid of any ridiculous logos and put a SMALL trekboxx logo on there instead. Prices will be $22/ sq foot for you guys if I buy in bulk. That's way better. Probably like $150-$175 for the pad just off the top of my head. I'm waiting for the samples to be mailed so we can discuss colors, textures, etc. I'll work on the hard surface, mounting, and CAD design for the foam.

Im sure you have already considered this because, well you build the best product in the space, but total height of the plate plus the pad has to be considered for clearance on drawer systems.

Im sure you have already considered this because, well you build the best product in the space, but total height of the plate plus the pad has to be considered for clearance on drawer systems.
Yessir! I'll try to keep it as low profile as possible. I'm sure they'll work with my systems. No guarantee on anything else :0 However, I'm sure we can keep it to less than 3/8"-1/2" total.

I have been working with Richlite since 1998. We have been using it on skate parks as the riding surface called Skatelite. Its extremely tough and dense. Another company makes it called Ramp Armor, same stuff. Also, in several colors including black. At least they did have other colors. Great stuff.

Yes, it's awesome. I think we may need 2 substrate materials, not sure yet. Richlite is expensive, so for those guys who are sure they will cover it with the foam it may be overkill. On the other hand, as you know it's very rigid for it's thinness so it would be a great substrate as well.

Spread the word guys. I need 20 buyers minimum, which probably means 30-40 "interested." Also, let me know whether you are particularly interested in the hard surface, the foam, or both.

Yes, it's awesome. I think we may need 2 substrate materials, not sure yet. Richlite is expensive, so for those guys who are sure they will cover it with the foam it may be overkill. On the other hand, as you know it's very rigid for it's thinness so it would be a great substrate as well.

Spread the word guys. I need 20 buyers minimum, which probably means 30-40 "interested." Also, let me know whether you are particularly interested in the hard surface, the foam, or both.

Curious about both. Most likely would prefer the hard surface as I don't kneel on my tailgate all too often.

Interested.
Drip groove (rectangle) inside of cupholders - one on each side where the top "flair" of the tailgate is - would be perfect.

Interested.
Drip groove (rectangle) inside of cupholders - one on each side where the top "flair" of the tailgate is - would be perfect.

This is almost exactly if not exactly how I had mine designed, I'm sure trekboxx will nail this one:

Tailgate cover final jpg.png

Curious about both. Most likely would prefer the hard surface as I don't kneel on my tailgate all too often.
Gotcha

This is almost exactly if not exactly how I had mine designed, I'm sure trekboxx will nail this one:

View attachment 1315611
We'll try!
Interested.
Ok, so like I said it can all be done. But we need a consensus for each version. I can make different renditions, sure, but that means each version needs enough buyers. Something with embellishments like this one wouldn't allow the foam to be added on top, so that means we need 2 different substrate designs. No problem, but get your votes in!

Im in for a soft one please!

In for a soft one. Count me in! As in, I will actually send you money when it is time to buy, I don't have to ask my wife first, I don't have to wait for my tax return, I don't have to check amazon.com to see if I can find one a few dollars cheaper with free 2nd day shipping, etc.

:)

^ this. In. Soft version.

Can probably round you up a couple more people when it gets time.

Im in for a soft one please!
Done
In for a soft one. Count me in! As in, I will actually send you money when it is time to buy, I don't have to ask my wife first, I don't have to wait for my tax return, I don't have to check amazon.com to see if I can find one a few dollars cheaper with free 2nd day shipping, etc.

:)
Oh, stop the crazy talk! :D
^ this. In. Soft version.

Can probably round you up a couple more people when it gets time.
Very good!

Very interested.

Very interested, but I'm going to have to see one (at least a prototype) to know for certain.

Very interested, but I'm going to have to see one (at least a prototype) to know for certain.
I'll put you down. As I said, I of course won't give you a hard time if it doesn't turn out to be something you like. But I just ask that you all have realistic expectations. You won't get Trekboxx quality for overseas prices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom