Gauging interest in a new tailgate cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am interested in this product as my carpet is crap. I am sure this will be well made as other trekboxx items are of good quality.
However what I would really be interested in is a tailgate storage system incorporated with this. I could use landcruiser Phil's idea of a boat hatch but then would somehow have to incorporate this product with it. With my time restraints it would be just easier to have someone else make it.

I am interested in this product as my carpet is crap. I am sure this will be well made as other trekboxx items are of good quality.
However what I would really be interested in is a tailgate storage system incorporated with this. I could use landcruiser Phil's idea of a boat hatch but then would somehow have to incorporate this product with it. With my time restraints it would be just easier to have someone else make it.

There are others who are making storage units. The one that comes to mind is the Trail Taylor one. It sounds very durable out of 1/4" aluminum, with the hinges and latches it seems like it is build for a tank. That being said it is a bit out of my price range at this time.
Tailgate Storage lids 60, 80 and 100 series (60 quarter panels)

This idea I believe is a simple design to take care of a need to replace the carpet on our decade or older tailgates.
I think it is great we have so many great users who's ideas turn into products and TrekBoxX, Gamiviti, PFran, Trailtaylor and many others is a great example of just that. My list of Mods and wants continues to grow!

Yes, the interest in a storage solution came up before. My response was to check out Wagon Gear, where I learned that he makes runs of the 100 series lids only occasionally. That should tell prospective customers something. If it were a profitable endeavor he'd be cranking them out. Either the demand is too low or the price is. I could absolutely make one as well. But I would imagine you're looking at a $500-$1000 to get a nice solution for a very small amount of storage gain. If we did a magnetic cover, you could do whatever kind of storage you wanted inside. Again, place your vote!

Yes, the interest in a storage solution came up before. My response was to check out Wagon Gear, where I learned that he makes runs of the 100 series lids only occasionally. That should tell prospective customers something. If it were a profitable endeavor he'd be cranking them out. Either the demand is too low or the price is. I could absolutely make one as well. But I would imagine you're looking at a $500-$1000 to get a nice solution for a very small amount of storage gain. If we did a magnetic cover, you could do whatever kind of storage you wanted inside. Again, place your vote!

I completely agree that everyone wants a storage solution but not everyone wants to spend $500 for 2 cubic feet of space. Its a minimal gain over the expense. I tried this endevour because I know eventually we will all need tailgates the stock ones fall apart the minute water reaches them.

To share my thoughts on where I wanted to get with this idea and what I would like would be.

1. No drilling required, plug and play with the use of the stock holes and anchor screws ( I found the perfect fit screws and anchors by the way I can get you that info) One challenge I found is that the stock holes are not all symmetrical, out of the 8-10 holes there is like 3 that do not line up to exact measurements left/right. All the other lid covers in current market you have to drill into your tailgate so this would be a great no additional cost advantage over existing products for the not so DIY.
  2. Some other color that's not white, I don't want my tailgate looking like a chopping block.
  3. Recessed beer holder would be a great add.
  4. If you pay close attention to our tailgate's edge is slim and often beaten on, when gate is up and lift gate is open and you throw stuff in and it hits that thin edge paint chips fly. Don't know if that makes sense. So to "protect" this edge the material should be past the edge of the tailgate by a fraction that would prevent this lip damage. I had that figured in to my design.
  5. Lastly the tricky part I had on the drawing is the tangent curve on the ends, to match this perfectly was difficult. If you could match that curvature that would be awesome.

I'm in for a few. At first I was thinking juice groove but I think that may be annoying when using the tailgate as an impromptu seat.

Like the toggle bolt idea, rare earth magnets may not cut it if one was sitting on/climbing on and off the tailgate.

Keep up the great work!!

I completely agree that everyone wants a storage solution but not everyone wants to spend $500 for 2 cubic feet of space. Its a minimal gain over the expense. I tried this endevour because I know eventually we will all need tailgates the stock ones fall apart the minute water reaches them.

To share my thoughts on where I wanted to get with this idea and what I would like would be.

1. No drilling required, plug and play with the use of the stock holes and anchor screws ( I found the perfect fit screws and anchors by the way I can get you that info) One challenge I found is that the stock holes are not all symmetrical, out of the 8-10 holes there is like 3 that do not line up to exact measurements left/right. All the other lid covers in current market you have to drill into your tailgate so this would be a great no additional cost advantage over existing products for the not so DIY.
  2. Some other color that's not white, I don't want my tailgate looking like a chopping block.
  3. Recessed beer holder would be a great add.
  4. If you pay close attention to our tailgate's edge is slim and often beaten on, when gate is up and lift gate is open and you throw stuff in and it hits that thin edge paint chips fly. Don't know if that makes sense. So to "protect" this edge the material should be past the edge of the tailgate by a fraction that would prevent this lip damage. I had that figured in to my design.
  5. Lastly the tricky part I had on the drawing is the tangent curve on the ends, to match this perfectly was difficult. If you could match that curvature that would be awesome.
Great info, thanks! I'd love to see the fasteners you've found. As you probably know, sourcing the correct hardware is one of the most time consuming parts of this kind of stuff. I'm sure I spent more hours on it than designing the systems. I agree with no drilling if possible. I agree that white sucks. As far as recessed holder, I was thinking just shallow routed areas, not necessarily a real deep cupholder. That would make it a different beast than just a flat routed panel. Still doable, just more $$. Also, I'll do my best to match the curvature. But, as I've found out the hard way, every single truck is just a tiny bit different. There are tolerances in the body shop at the factory- no 2 are the same. We'll get pretty close.

I actually really like the rubber mat I have. But, there are issues with it. It is heavy. It is not as easy to clean as a solid surface. You have to attach it to a flat panel for rigidity, and therefore you get a thicker/heavier solution that has the added drawback of an unfinished looking edge. Just some random thoughts for you guys.

I'm in for a few. At first I was thinking juice groove but I think that may be annoying when using the tailgate as an impromptu seat.

Like the toggle bolt idea, rare earth magnets may not cut it if one was sitting on/climbing on and off the tailgate.

Keep up the great work!!
Thanks brother! A few? Are you LC heavy over there? :)

The magnets may or may not be ideal. I will say that the high quality ones are amazing. Even if I went the magnet route, I would attach some alignment pins or something on the back side so it could not slide out of place. I think the drawback might actually be the fact that it could be really hard to remove! I use one on my large drill press to hold the chuck key. It's tiny, but the very large key never moves, even with a lot of vibration. If you had like 8 or 10 of them it would be solid. Maybe too solid...

Has anyone else considered making it out of something that isn't hard? I seem to remember someone had one made out of a dense foam boat material that was really cool. I sit, kneel, etc on my tailgate a lot. I am not sure I want to kneel or try to stand (when putting up my RTT or stuff on the rack) on a wet plastic tray like item.

Has anyone else considered making it out of something that isn't hard? I seem to remember someone had one made out of a dense foam boat material that was really cool. I sit, kneel, etc on my tailgate a lot. I am not sure I want to kneel or try to stand (when putting up my RTT or stuff on the rack) on a wet plastic tray like item.

I'd be down for something that's made of a dense foam material. I'd rather pay a fraction of $500 and get NO storage but have a comfortable place to sit/stand/kneel. A cut-to-size, removable, 1" thick seating pad would be great.

Like I said, we can do whatever the consensus is. Rubber, hard foam, whatever. I agree that HDPE is slick not to mention when it gets wet. I stand on my gate to load the roof rack, so for me that would be a no-go. The phenolic is much more like wood than plastic, so I think that would be much better, albeit not "soft" by any stretch. Pros and cons...

I'd be down for something that's made of a dense foam material. I'd rather pay a fraction of $500 and get NO storage but have a comfortable place to sit/stand/kneel. A cut-to-size, removable, 1" thick seating pad would be great.
The seating pad is easy. As long as the tailgate cover itself isn't too thick. You'd have clearance issues with the tailgate "gap cover" thing as well as some users' drawer system, etc.

Found it!

IMG_1191.jpg

Gotcha
Nice! Exactly like that minus the logo and price.
Well, that there goes with that price... So, are you in for now?

Here's what I'm thinking so far, guys. I contacted a company that makes adhesive-backed foam boat decking like the one above. I'm going to see if we can get a bulk rate. One of the issues might be getting a consensus on color. I don't know how color options will affect the price. More to come on that. I was thinking a flat cover, attachment TBD. The foam pad would be an add-on option for those that want it.

I'm in for the softer version. Always passed on the hard options out there because i stand on my tailgate...a lot.

Gotcha

Well, that there goes with that price... So, are you in for now?

Here's what I'm thinking so far, guys. I contacted a company that makes adhesive-backed foam boat decking like the one above. I'm going to see if we can get a bulk rate. One of the issues might be getting a consensus on color. I don't know how color options will affect the price. More to come on that. I was thinking a flat cover, attachment TBD. The foam pad would be an add-on option for those that want it.

If the foam pad is a standalone part, how would it be attached if we wanted just that and not the storage?

I'm in for the softer version. Always passed on the hard options out there because i stand on my tailgate...a lot.
Added.

If the foam pad is a standalone part, how would it be attached if we wanted just that and not the storage?
Well, I'm not thinking storage per se, but the pad needs a rigid backing plate. You could theoretically use the existing stock fiber board, but as many have said it's not very robust and disintegrates with water. So I was thinking a higher quality plate that could be run alone or with the pad, which would have an adhesive backing. We'll see what kind of quotes I get for the pads, if they're $400/each I'm thinking heck no...

Oh I see... got a little confused since the thread went off topic to storage solutions. I'm in, depending on the price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom