gas mileage for a 60/62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an app called FillUp that tracks that stuff. Pretry cool and simple app by the way.

I drive my truck to the Tran station every day. it's like a 3 mile drive. but occasionally I have to drive a little longer distance for work. maybe once or twice a month.

I get about 9-10 MPGs on my short train days and 12 to 14 when I drive long distance.

1426854075162.jpg

My 89 fj62 on 33's and stock gears and perfect tune only gets about 8-10 in town and not much better running down the highway! It's basically a box running down the road!

We just drove to Vegas in my 84 fj60. It had 304000 miles on it. Pretty stock with only 31s. 400+ lbs of great and 3 dudes. We got 12 to 16 mpgs depending on terrain of fill ups. I also enjoyed the extra power down at lower altitude that was fun.

86 fj60, 104,000, everything intune and working 100%, 33's, 4:10's. OME, ARB w/10K warn, H42. With the tire and gear combo the speedo is pretty close to correct

I mostly drive stop and go, short distance intown, 25-40mph, with the AC running at full blast with outside temps in the 80-90's........I get 8mpg, get about 10-11mpg without AC on. Not a clue on the HWY......it seldom see's it. My cooling system is 100% replaced, what kills the mpg with AC on is the fan clutch, that sucker will lock up quite often, its like i am dragging a 4000lb trailer, every time I come to a stop, the fan locks up, by 2nd or 3rd gear it unlocks. Cooling temps never go over 190-195deg

fuel economy data for the thread:

just got home from a big road trip...kept detailed mileage and fuel cost records...check this out

i'm running brand new BFG 33's on an otherwise 100% stock truck.
3 people + dog
roof rack / yakima skybox, and lots of camping gear

speedo/odo is low by 10% due to the 33's - so i took the mileage data and multiplied by 1.1 to get accurate mileage.
upload_2017-8-22_8-32-11.png

upload_2017-8-22_8-30-55.png

what octane rating? with 87, I get about 12 on average in my fj62 on 31s with H42 transmission. about 50/50 cruise at 3-3400 rpm on freeway at 65-70, a/c on FULL BLAST, and stop/go city...

what octane rating? with 87, I get about 12 on average in my fj62 on 31s with H42 transmission. about 50/50 cruise at 3-3400 rpm on freeway at 65-70, a/c on FULL BLAST, and stop/go city...

i filled with the middle every time - 89 i think?

truck was pinging ever so slightly on uphill travel - even around town - gentle hill up toward my house....but i ran 2 tanks of BG44K through her and now the dieseling is gone and I can run any octane and no longer hear the pinging...so that's a win. but on the trip i just settled on the middle one...seemed fine.

fuel economy data for the thread: i'm running brand new BFG 33's on an otherwise 100% stock truck.
3 people + dog
roof rack / yakima skybox, and lots of camping gear

How fast did you drive on the highway?

I'm convinced I could get 17 on the Hwy if I would drive 55 mph.

i kept it around 60. the first night out leaving portland rolling down I84 to Pendleton i was rolling 70 to 75...but generally i tried to keep the needle around 60 - which is 65 ish for the adjustment due to the 33's....so by not pushing it i kept the mpg's tolerable.

that one tank shown above at 16.5 was all downhill through a twisty mountain pass, low speeds, cool weather and the truck barely working.

forgot to mention - i kinda like that poor mans cruise control by pulling on that throttle cable knob and locking it in for a set speed....worked pretty well - except that any incline caused her to lose a few miles per hour...so the speed was not super consistent - but it worked well to keep me from burying my foot in it.

33" tires would give you a 13% adjustment factor.

33" tires would give you a 13% adjustment factor.

i've done multiple mileage marker tests along my interstate - and confirmed against iphone speedo app...i'm definitely reading low by 1/10th.

I stand corrected I see you have a FJ62 hence 4.10 gear ratio

I stand corrected I see you have a FJ62 hence 4.10 gear ratio

on a slightly different topic. you mind educating me on how that works? so if 62's have 4.10 gear ratio vs. 60's have ??

what does that mean on a technical level...and how does it translate to the wheel?

60's have 3.70 gears. That means the driveshaft spins 3.7 times for one rotation of the wheel. At any given speed a truck with lower gearing (numerically higher) will be turning more rpm's than a truck with higher gearing (numerically lower).

3.70's are essentially highway gears. Adding oversized tires affects the overall effective gear ratio and gives a "rubber overdrive" effect. Essentially, the taller tires allow the truck to travel a farther distance in a single rotation. This is not necessarily a good thing. Our trucks were designed to operate in a given rpm range at highway speed. When larger tires are added, rpm's at any given speed drop down. Pulling hills becomes difficult and the engine struggles to hold speed which affects fuel mileage as well.

Last edited:
60's have 3.73 gears.

Uh, 3.70, actually. 3.73 is a common ratio in US-made axles for whatever reason -- it's what you get with 41 teeth on the ring gear and 11 on the pinion (41/11 = 3.72727272...etc), while Toyota used 37 teeth on the ring gear and 10 on the pinion. It's a dumb nit-pick, but they're different enough that you'd have a bad time in the rocks with, say, a 3.73 Dana 60 in the rear end and a stock 3.70 cruiser axle in front. Mud and gravel probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom