gas mileage for a 60/62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a super low mileage '88 FJ62 that runs perfect... I have 31 BFG all-terrains, OME Lift kit, Yakima Racks with spoiler.. On the hwy, the best mileage I got is 16.5 mpg, on straight hwy going around 70- 75 mph... City is between 12 & 13 mpg.... The type of hwy makes a big difference in mileage... If it is a hilly or mountainous hwy, then, mileage goes down 1 or 2 mpg on the hwy..

fairly solid average of about 16 in my 88 320000mile fj62 with H42 and 3.70 gears. live in the hills and do about 50/50 mountains/city on 31 105015s

Running an FJ60, and since putting on a "mark Carb", I have been getting between 12.6 and 13.4 mpg, running an average speed of 55, AC all the time and a rather large roof rack. Forgot to mention, this is with 33 x 12.5 tires.

FJ62 Auto, between 11-12.5MPG. Roof racks also. I try to to 70mph on the highway! I can only manage that on the flat or a slight incline.
Most of the highways around my area I can barely manage 50 by the top of some of the hills. Good test of the cooling system having the pedal to the metal for nearly 10 minutes straight!

Bought my '87 not quite a month ago and was waiting until I ran a few tanks through it.

The people I bought it from hadn't titled it in a year or two and said it had mostly sat around in the time since. I ran the half tank it had out and filled it up.

First tank: 11-ish MPG*
Second: 13.5
Third: 16.5
Fourth: 15 - was getting high 16s, but one morning I had to run the choke a while and it screwed it up
Fifth: 16.75

*uncorrected for bigger tires, true mileage would have been slightly better

The tires on it are 31.5x10". Every tank is a mix of trails, some highway driving, and a work commute of ~10 miles each way. Corrected mileage has been increased by 9%. Engine has 253,XXX miles on it and uses 87 octane with the usual 10% ethanol blend. Fairly recent oil change, but last tune-up and spark plug replacement is unknown. Engine runs pretty well, but had a half-hearted de-smog done and therefore has many/most hoses disconnected and is ever-so-slightly jumpy at half-throttle. Can't wait to see how well it does when I get the hoses fixed and do a tune-up/valve adjustment.

Can't wait to see how well it does when I get the hoses fixed and do a tune-up/valve adjustment.

If you're getting over 16, my advice is not to touch anything as it can only get worse from there! :D

If you're getting over 16, my advice is not to touch anything as it can only get worse from there! :D

:lol: Believe me, that's crossed my mind.

hi buddy im new to this forum and i own a fj60. im wondering what kind of engine you have on your car? is it a diesel? and what kind? did you said between 20 25 mpg? thanks for the information.

Do you have a diesel? and if you do which engine do you have or is that kilometers per gallon? thanks for the information. i apoligized im new to the land cruser fj 60 and 40 and i would like to learn more Thank you sincerly Harold.

This is more of a note for myself for a future reference but can be for the collective as well.

I recently rebuild the motor in my '83 60 on 5/2013. The odometer read was 175.5K at replacement.
Tires are shock and the tranny is H55F.

Jim C's cab and dizzy rebuild.

Desmogged as per the 'My Desmog thread'. HAI, VCV passenger, VCV driver without the BVSV valve,
Vacuum switch for fuel cut solenoid, charcoal can, choke opener and choke breaker.

Valves adjusted to spec.

Plugs are Autolite but I'll soon put some NGK's on, new air filter, new cap and rotor and new wires.

Fuel has been consistent 87 octane at Speedway and BP.

Milage is around town with occasional I-465 travel. I'm getting 13.5mpg consistently. Need to get a good highway milage report.

1985 FJ60. H55F trans, weber carb, 4.56 gears, 35/12.50r15 BFG mt, roof rack, SOA with lift springs and shackles (TALL).
I bought this truck in October of last year iirc.
Started charting on December first of 2013
I drive 9 miles to work 18 round trip) with a short hop onto the interstate and then a curvy 2 lane at 55-70 mph.
My mileage has climbed from 10 to my last tank at 13. I did new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and cleaned the k&n filter with just under a quarter tank. On this tank I am replacing the old headers (aftermarket) with new ones as well as the manifold gasket and Y-pipe.
Here is my mileage chart.
Adam G

image.jpg

At a loss...before I spun a rod bearing on my 88 62 I was averaging 10-11 mpg. Now, after complete rebuild of my 3FE AND doing a full desmog (from Spook), and switching from MT to AT tires, I'm getting 6.5 mpg. WTF!!! Nothing else has changed.

90 fj62 10-11 in town 15-18 highway ups and downs it's Washington after all. 31-1050-15 toyo mt's everything else bone stock. 210,000 miles and going strong.

These mileage threads are entertaining. I don't even measure it anymore. FJ62 stock drive train with Iron Man lift on 31's. I consider myself lucky if I can pass four gas stations per one way trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom