FZJ80 Weight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just for your entertainment. I have weighed my 97 and been found chunky.

1394171605649008528.jpg

This is with about 350 lbs of not truck inside (including me) and with a full tank of gas.

Weight adding Modifications are pretty light:

wimpy rocky road sliders - ~100 lbs tops (take off 40 or so lbs for the running board delete)
33 inch tires - 84 lbs over stock
roof rack with awning - 40 lbs

So that accounts for ~185 lbs

350 + 185 = 535

535 - 5720 = 5185

Stock listed weight is 4850

5145 - 4850 = 335 lbs.

Minus gas (155 lbs full, mine was about 7/8th) is still 200 lbs difference. I have a sneaking suspicion that the listed curb weight is without options of fluids.

Anyway, for people who want to know what an FZJ80 REALLY weighs I would guess that the fully fueled and road ready stock version is something like 5000-5100 lbs without driver.

5FMosIO99J1PIRfdIMlStp8L0y5WWXB-ATeKsMGra2E-=w1920-h1080-no

Truck Pictured as weighed.

Wow, I wish mine weighed that much. Your rig is seemingly skinny compared to my heifer.

LOL - mine too! Add an ARB bumper up front with Warn 1200 winch, Kaymar rear bumper w/tire carrier and jerry can carrier/ladder, not so skimpy Hanna sliders, t-case protection, ARB fridge, tool drawer and CO2 tank in the back. Closer to 7000 perhaps? Never had it weighed. I don't want to know. Throw in a good 1500lbs with the trailer in tow too! :flipoff2:

I came in at 6900lbs fully loaded for a camping trip.

Wow, I guess some guys just like their girls on the plus side of the scale LOL! Women always think I'm shallow for not wanting to date a big girl, they just don't understand that I need to date skinny women out of the necessity. Keeping the cruiser as lite as possible Lol!

Question about those sliders them there... you call them wimpy... how so? I'm considering pulling the trigger on a set of their rocker guards, so the cheaper of the two options they offer, but your one word description has me questioning that decision.

Question about those sliders them there... you call them wimpy... how so? I'm considering pulling the trigger on a set of their rocker guards, so the cheaper of the two options they offer, but your one word description has me questioning that decision.
They are junk. I mean, technically they have worked but I don't really use them very hard. here is what I wrote to Rocky Road as feedback

"
The Bad

They are too short, they don't provide full coverage...which is a bummer.
My pinch weld is bent anyplace there are support bars. The support bars need to be thicker and/or further away from the pinch weld.
There is too little support from the support bars, If i try and hilift I get several inches of deflection, these bars need to be thicker.
The material used for the backing plates is too mild a steel and bends easily.
The bolts are rusting badly already
I did not drill into the pinch weld to attach the support piece to it - a body on frame truck needs a separation between body and frame i don't think its wise to tie them together, this method should be ditched all together.

The good

The powder coating and strength of the cat guard and sliders has been great. Hit them alot and they are looking nice still.
I think you should consider the 0 degree "step bar" configuration as a production model, the step feature is great and it also acts as a door saver since it sticks out far enough that lower cars hit their doors into it, instead of into my doors.
If you do consider it, grip tape that sucker, its SLICK. (I grip taped mine)

Again. Take it as constructive feedback and not as criticism. I think your slider design is great but you should rethink them in the following ways:

1. they need to be longer, at least 4-6 inches longer.
2. The supports need to be larger diameter and further away from the body
3. The steel used for the mounting plate needs to be stronger steel
4. Use stainless hardware for the bolts.
5. Ditch the pinchweld mounting idea completely"

I guess they are well known for these issues and refuse to change them.

I crossed the scales at my local metal scrap yard recently @ 7300. That is my daily driver/wheeler setup .

I crossed the scales at my local metal scrap yard recently @ 7300. That is my daily driver/wheeler setup .

That's heavy ... I'm afraid going onto scale with mine ..

They are junk. I mean, technically they have worked but I don't really use them very hard. here is what I wrote to Rocky Road as feedback

"
The Bad

They are too short, they don't provide full coverage...which is a bummer.
My pinch weld is bent anyplace there are support bars. The support bars need to be thicker and/or further away from the pinch weld.
There is too little support from the support bars, If i try and hilift I get several inches of deflection, these bars need to be thicker.
The material used for the backing plates is too mild a steel and bends easily.
The bolts are rusting badly already
I did not drill into the pinch weld to attach the support piece to it - a body on frame truck needs a separation between body and frame i don't think its wise to tie them together, this method should be ditched all together.

The good

The powder coating and strength of the cat guard and sliders has been great. Hit them alot and they are looking nice still.
I think you should consider the 0 degree "step bar" configuration as a production model, the step feature is great and it also acts as a door saver since it sticks out far enough that lower cars hit their doors into it, instead of into my doors.
If you do consider it, grip tape that sucker, its SLICK. (I grip taped mine)

Again. Take it as constructive feedback and not as criticism. I think your slider design is great but you should rethink them in the following ways:

1. they need to be longer, at least 4-6 inches longer.
2. The supports need to be larger diameter and further away from the body
3. The steel used for the mounting plate needs to be stronger steel
4. Use stainless hardware for the bolts.
5. Ditch the pinchweld mounting idea completely"

I guess they are well known for these issues and refuse to change them.

Well, that pretty much steered me away from that. I appreciate it. Other than their ignoring your feedback, how was their customer service? In the spring, I'm going to get an OME 2.5 kit and they're the cheapest I've found, plus they're local. Knowing what you know, if you were me, would you buy that from them, or spend another $80 with Cruiser Outfitters?

Well, that pretty much steered me away from that. I appreciate it. Other than their ignoring your feedback, how was their customer service? In the spring, I'm going to get an OME 2.5 kit and they're the cheapest I've found, plus they're local. Knowing what you know, if you were me, would you buy that from them, or spend another $80 with Cruiser Outfitters?

If you talk to Matt Frisby, then you will have a good customer experience, if you talk to anyone else...you probably wont. I bought my TJM 50mm kit from Matt and he was great to work with, I also buy a lot of stuff from Kurt and he and Bryce are super great to work with. I get the impression that these guys [rocky road] somehow got it in their heads that they have some kind of corner on the market or something and aren't really interested in listening to their customers or improving their products generally.

6350.00 here, 38s, rack, spare, bumper, hiliftjack. RTtent,awning, cooler.....recovery gear/tools...arb/kaymar...

6350.00 here, 38s, rack, spare, bumper, hiliftjack. RTtent,awning, cooler.....recovery gear/tools...arb/kaymar...

WTF? How are you so much lighter than I am? 33s, RTT, front ARB, winch, awning, gear, tools, etc. I should be lighter.

Now I need to go find the 400 lbs of mud in my frame.

A.

WTF? How are you so much lighter than I am? 33s, RTT, front ARB, winch, awning, gear, tools, etc. I should be lighter.

Now I need to go find the 400 lbs of mud in my frame.

A.
Titanium! ;)

drove by the dump today where they have a scale... 5,810 lbs. just me in it, a full water tank, and a few other items. might need to trim down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom