Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got my Marlin Seals and waiting on my Seal tool from Slee so I can go back in and fix my leaking seal on the DS. What a pain in the arss. The Marlin Seals definitely look better than the OEM. I hope they do the trick. I miss being able to drive my cruiser. I'll let you know how it all works out.

There will be a metal retainer held on by 6 bolts.
Felt dust seal,
Rubber seal
Steel ring.
Note here the order they are installed and the direction of the ridge on the rubber seal when removing it.

If you buy your parts from a reputable source (Toyota, Marlin, etc.), the wiper seals should be in the correct order in the packaging. This was a "revelation" I experienced a year or so ago and thought "how ingenious"...at least the OEM stuff is already in the correct order from the knuckle housing out: steel ring, rubber ring, felt ring, then the two interlocking/ocerlapping steel rings.

-o-

The Marlin Seals definitely look better than the OEM. I hope they do the trick. I'll let you know how it all works out.

And how did it work out?

By the way, it seems to be spending money on a seal tool is a waste of money. Get a piece of wood that is long enough to extend out of the housing and pound the sucker in that way.

-o-

I'd say that depends on your proximity to another seal. For me, had I mangled the seal, I would have been out of comission for at least 2 or 3 weeks while a new part arrived.

Better to spend $13, IMO.

Besides that- as a % of overall cost, $13 is pretty small %.

Better still: find someone else who bought the tool. Borrow it.
Heck, we could start a mud-style "tool-flix" and just send the same seal tool from mudder to mudder. Probably only $3-5 shipping to send it along to the next fella.

And how did it work out?

By the way, it seems to be spending money on a seal tool is a waste of money. Get a piece of wood that is long enough to extend out of the housing and pound the sucker in that way.

-o-

Heck, we could start a mud-style "tool-flix" and just send the same seal tool from mudder to mudder. Probably only $3-5 shipping to send it along to the next fella.

Funny--I've sent my rear axle tool out to others across the nation more times than I can remember.....and amazingly, no one has screwed me over and the tool has returned into my hands....

My memory of the details is fuzzy-- but there was a tool of some sort that was making the rounds all over the darn place back in the LCML days. I sure wish I could remember what it was as it would make for a much better story! Yikes. 35 and the brain is getting mushy already (and it is 5:00am and I haven't had coffee yet)

Yes, indeed.

Thanks B!

:cheers:

Having the right tool for the job makes things sooo much easier and it is great that we have guys like beno that are willing to share these special tools.

:cheers:

[/group hug]

Happy Valentine's dude. :princess:
-B-

When i got my Cruiser the seller included afront axle rebuild kit. I didnt see anywere noted were the bearings were replaced. I have the following PN# for bearings and not clue for were they go 90080-36046, 90080-36067 and no grease seals

The bearing race driver kit from autozone works well for installing the axle seals (and you can borrow it for free). It's also handy when driving in the wheel bearing races.:flipoff2:

I believe they carry the same socket in 1/2" drive in their Blue Point line. It is a little cheaper and you don't have to carry a 1/2" <==> 3/4" adapter.
-B-

I believe they carry the same socket in 1/2" drive in their Blue Point line. It is a little cheaper and you don't have to carry a 1/2" <==> 3/4" adapter.
-B-

I thought so as well but I tried to find one the other day to add on to an order and didn't see it. All the blue point tools are online with the normal snap on tools but it wasn't coming up when I searched. If you can find it and post the number then it would be most appreciated as I still haven't bought one.

Well, I went out to the truck and looked in my trail box. I have the 54mm BP hub socket that I bought off a Snap-On tool truck a few years ago and it is 3/4" drive. I have a Craftsman adapter right there with the socket and I would have bought a 1/2" drive if it was available.

So... it looks like I misremembered the facts again. :D

-B-

There is a Socket available from Toyota itself that is 1/2 drive and perfect for this. Roughly$25.

er cant finish rebuild need damn grease seals unless there is way to remove w/oharming them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom