FJ62 Bob it? or extend the WB? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting the 62 under the knife! I want to know what you all think though before I start cutting. It is no longer my DD but my wheeler and occasional cruise to work for fun. It will not be a trailer queen, but I don't care that much about highway performance.

Budget build plan!!! It will take me a little while because to buy stuff I need to sell stuff.

I already picked up some stuff for really cheap. The deals are out there you just need to be patient!

What it has so far: 1990 SBC 350 TBI, SM465, NP205

The 62 will get:

Dana 60 HP front axle (poor mans locker: welded)
Sterling 10.25 rear axle (poor mans locker: welded)
I might keep the SM465, NP205 combo unless I sell it.
If sold I'll go with a TH350, NP203/NP205 doubled.
I am cutting the wheel wells out to make room for 39's or bigger.
In making the rear well larger I will also move the rear axle back about 2"
add some tubing to the fenders. (welded on the fenders)
Trim the rear quarter panels up more and make my own rock sliders.
Trim the rear frame off 3" and make my own bumper tied into the rock sliders.
Trim up the rocker panel and weld my own sliders to the body and frame.
I also hope to cage the inside.

I plan on detailing this the best I can. pics and all.

let me know what you think.

I should start on the body stuff in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
I saw a picture on a random thread of a 62 with the rear axle moved back about 10-12 inches or so. It looked awesome. I'm trying to find the thread now, but I'm having trouble since the picture was posted for no particular reason if I remember correctly. I'll let you know if I find it.

This is the only one I've seen in person. Josh Baker's done at JK Customs:
josh_baker_009.jpg

how big do you want it to be???

I want to run 39's. nothing much bigger. I am going to try to keep the cog low too. I'll trim the fenders to make it fit. 63" chevy springs in the rear.

Last edited:
I saw in a thread that a 94 s-10 blazer gas tank would work well for a bob job. anyone actually try it?

After looking around a lot and reading it seems like a 108" wheel base with 39's is just about right especially if I am going to keep the cog lower. I guess that means leave the wheel wells alone and bob it. I'd love to hear some more thoughts on the subject of wheel base though. It would be cool to not bob it and do something different but only if it going to be beneficial for wheeling.

Last edited:
anything longer than 110 would suck with a low Belly Height.. Especially around these parts.
Keep the stock WB!

Bob would be cool! Find some Axles yet? we have some Rockwells Laying around out at Redline if you want to go big! lol

Do similar to pic above but take out the space behind the rear doors (8-10"). Link the rear unless you want a low hanging frame behind the tires for the leaf connection. You'll need to trim the fenders if you wanna keep it low. Hack the fronts for tube fenders & the rears it depends on if you wanna refab wheelwells or add a body lift for uptravel. Oh yeah, the S-10 gas tank fits perfect for a :pig: if you do a body lift.

Last edited:
anything longer than 110 would suck with a low Belly Height.. Especially around these parts.
Keep the stock WB!

Bob would be cool! Find some Axles yet? we have some Rockwells Laying around out at Redline if you want to go big! lol

Don't tease me Trevor. Just curious how much they want for em?

so what exactly would be considered a low belly? anything under 24"

rockwells .. thought your plan was keep it around 38" :) with rockwells .. 42" plus .. just to keep a nice ground clearance.

I like mine stock wheel base stock springs SOA with lots-o-trimin and a bob job

pajojo_005.sized.jpg

before I chopped the top

pajojo_025.sized.jpg

I wish I still had my top but the open air fun as long as it not cols

Kling-on - I have looked at yours many times, I dig the orange! are you still using the boat tank? if not what are you doing for a tank?

Tapage - I probably won't go with the rockwells even though it's tempting.

I almost considered rockwells but decided against it due to the room required to clear the "center chunk". A full bodied rig will have a tough time with clearing them. Did you see "fred's 40 builds a 60" build and how he did his rear panel? I'd check into that. I plan on chopping back somewhat like his or a serious hack like "Tippy R" when I set up the back of my 60.

Tony, Just Kidding on the Rockwell's, i mean yes he has them at the shop, give him a call if your intrested, 14B and a 60 is a much better combo with 38's

i would say a low frame height is anything under 23" or so..

i think your rig would look Killer with raised and Tubed Fenders, Bump Stops, 1 tons, 38's and a 23-24" Frame height

tubed fenders on a 62 huh. hmmm i am trying to picture that. Anyone have pics.

I think I will stick with the 14b and 60. it will be the junkyard crawler!!! I love that pull yard!

Kling-on - I have looked at yours many times, I dig the orange! are you still using the boat tank? if not what are you doing for a tank?

Tapage - I probably won't go with the rockwells even though it's tempting.

I still have the boat tank 2.5 years and 5 roller overs later it still workin :hillbilly:

I have a jeep tank I'm lookin at puting in so I can get my cargo area back ... a nice alum fuel cell would work too .... butI'm to cheap

tubed fenders on a 62 huh. hmmm i am trying to picture that. Anyone have pics.

no thats the point you will be the first i bet. maybe push the rear axle back a bit so that you don't have to trim the Rear Doors, but run some tube up and around the fenders.. maybe skin them and run sheet metal back to the body, smooth it out and paint it.. how good are you with sheet metal welding?

Or Just Chop them as high as you can if you don't care how the rig looks.. ;)

the tube would be nice to keep your sheet metal somewhat straight, are you wanting to drag that thing through Independence and Carnage Canyon? or just beef it up a bit for a family Hauler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom